Naked bike suggestions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sister in law has a Honda Shadow 600CC...Forward controls, 4 speed. Goes about 95 MPH......Handles like a dream and is easy on the eyes. She has put about 9K on it so far with out a lick of trouble.

Nice! Both good picks. I'm going to work on getting her in an Abate class this spring.

I guess another question is, do you want a new bike or an older one to be customized or modified to fit her style and stature.

I am currently building an 86 Yamaha Radian for my wife. She is 5ft tall, so the seat height needs to be lowered from 30" to 26/27" - already mocked up a 94 FZR600R rear wheel/swingarm, 1999 GSXR600 front forks, wheel/brakes mated to vmax triple trees and shaved the seat by 1 1/2".

Yamaha made some nice bike in the 80s and 90s to be considered, Maxim X, FZX750 (Fazer), XJ550, etc....

Mike

Good question. I'm looking at newer and really not customizing. I'll do some mods, but nothing too extensive. If something was customized already I go that route. She liked a 70s Honda CB750 that someone turned into a bobber lookalike on Ebay.

I'm pretty small for a guy (5'10", 140s#) so most bikes that fit me will likely fit her. She's 5'7".

Right now it's looking like the front runners that I showed her are...
Triumph Legend/Bonneville
Bandit (older, no fairing)
Hornet/919
Eliminator
Shadow
Maxim

Good question. I'm looking at newer and really not customizing. I'll do some mods, but nothing too extensive. If something was customized already I go that route. She liked a 70s Honda CB750 that someone turned into a bobber lookalike on Ebay.

I'm pretty small for a guy (5'10", 140s#) so most bikes that fit me will likely fit her. She's 5'7".

Right now it's looking like the front runners that I showed her are...
Triumph Legend/Bonneville
Bandit (older, no fairing)
Hornet/919
Eliminator
Shadow
Maxim

i steer away from a 919 or a 1200 bandit. those would be a bi tmuch for a new rider.

An awesome modern naked bike would be the Honda 919. Very lightweight, maneuverable and powerful, so it may be too much for her, but a very cool bike. Any Yamaha Maxim would be a good starter bike. They are very predictable, reliable and stable with classic styling. My favorite would be a Yamaha Fazer 700 or "Baby Vmax." Small, lightweight and quick, but the coolest of all.

Attachments

• bike003.jpg
    bike003.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 11
  • bikepics-695505-full.jpg
    bikepics-695505-full.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 3939750496_20c4e9b126.jpg
    3939750496_20c4e9b126.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 14
Yeah, I love the Benellis and Aprillas, but not her thing. Darn it. :)

I was on the fence with the Hornet/919. She likes it but I agree it could be more than what she'd want for a learning bike. I'd love to ride it.

Hmmm...the Fazers look good.

I didn't read all the posts but did any mention the Buells? The Blast is a 500 cc and can be had for a grand. Older lightnings or newer XBR 12s if you want to spend the cash. The Hardly boys won't make fun of her either.

Don't discount the Kawasaki Vulcan 500. Ninja motor tuned for more midrange, very low seat height, belt drive, great handling, low price.

Hmmm...I didn't even think about Buells. The Lightning looks nice.

Thanks for the Indy CLs! I like that Virago...good price also.

Yeah, I love the Benellis and Aprillas, but not her thing. Darn it. :)

I was on the fence with the Hornet/919. She likes it but I agree it could be more than what she'd want for a learning bike. I'd love to ride it.

Hmmm...the Fazers look good.

you know the hornet and the 919 are different bikes right? The hornet is a naked 599cc bike. pretty rare.

you know the hornet and the 919 are different bikes right? The hornet is a naked 599cc bike. pretty rare.
That's interesting. The Hornet is actually the 919 in Europe. 919 = US, Hornet = EU.

Found the US Hornet. Thanks for the clarification.

I like it! She may. So many choices. I guess it's a good thing I'm not choosing...I'd want them all. :)

If I was to pick up a naked, now, it would probably be that new Kawasaki Z1000...clicky clicky

Retails for about $10.5k...but it maybe too much "sporty" for her taste...does look like a fun bike to play with, though ;)

Latest posts

Back