Need some help - Shotgun

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm working my way through shotgun'ing my carbs, I'm only to the point where I seat the mixture screws, then back them out.

Here's my problem, I started with cylinder 4? (right side rear), seated the screw, noting the number of turns, then began to back it out. It came out about 2 turns then began to stiffen and there was resistance. I turned it back in and then back out, same thing. So I stopped. Moved to cylinder 3?(right front). It won't move at all.

Suggestions? Do I just force them out? :ummm:

Don't force them Shane...if you strip one it's big trouble!!

Spray in some PB Blaster, WD, or just plain motor oil to lube them up. Good idea to let them sit overnight with the holes plugged to hold the oil in.

Tomorrow start working them slowly, hopefully they will loosen.

BTW, cylinders are numbered,
#1---left rear
#2---left front
#3---right rear
#4---right front
(as you sit on the bike)

+1 to wot Dan-o said - lube them well, preferably with PB Blaster or locks or guns lube, and let it sit overnight. Then go back at it very gently - with enough lube and play they should come out unscathed.
But don't force anything, if one of these guys breaks or strips you will be in big $$ trouble..

Damn, wish I had read this last night.... lol
I've got WD-40 so I'll soak the crap out of them. Can I spray from both sides? What I mean is, can I spray wd40 down PAJ1 in order to get it behind the mixture screw as well or should I use carb clean there? Or nothing at all since I would them have no way to 'clear' it without being able to remove the mixture screws?

not 100% sure on that. but i'd almost seat them all the way in before you spray, so it has maximum contact on the outer threads. def don't force.

Back