Nerve damage on throttle hand?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, a guy my wife works with got back from his ride to/from Sturgis, and now has problems with two fingers on his throttle hand. Nerve and vascular damage. Ack. Fingers are discolored and have no feeling. He's getting it treated, but Jesus.

My wife, bless her soul, immediately made fun of his Harley and the vibration. :biglaugh: He retorted, knowing that her husband rode a bike too and asked what I rode. She told him. His reply was, "Huh?" :ummm: Same as the looks I get on the road. :confused2:

Anyone seen lasting effects from a long ride like that before?

Lat year when I first got a good long ride in, I noticed somthing wasn't right.

My hands ached after the first hour on the road. Then were completely numb within hour number 2. Like a dumbass, not wanting to fall behind the pack I pressed on.

After reaching our destination it took almost 3 hours to get my hands back to normal. They hurt when I moved them, grabbed things, etc. I took some asprin and my friend's GF massaged them. They got better and although a little sore the next day, no long term issues.

The following day I borrowed a set of padded gloves that helped alot. Eventually I purchased Bar Snake. Bar Snake coupled with riding gloves was the fix for me. I haven't had any hand issues since. (thanks again chris on the Bar Snake tip).

I imagine the vibro effects would kinda be like carpal tunnel syndrome, but instead of repetitive stress its more of shaking the shit out of your nerves.

I have issues with my hands going numb also...nothing like the discoloration that Jayhawk mentioned tho, that sounds like major circulation problems...I have a Brake-Away cruise control, when I feel the numbness creeping in I lock the throttle and drop my arms straight down for 15 - 20 seconds and the feeling returns.

Gloves with palm padding make a big difference also.

I had to remove my Flanders drag bars cause they were severely irritating the problem.

On the Brakeaway does the grip have to be flat for it to work? I have grips where towards the switch box the grip is tapered

That's a good question Davidon...I think it would work, there's a rubber strip approx. 1/8" thick that goes between the grip and the Brake-Away mechanism. That would prolly take up the difference in the taper.

I would measure the taper and contact the Brake-Away people tho, just to be sure.

I can run a copy of the installation instructions and mail them to you if you'd like, might be able to figure it out by seeing them.

So, a guy my wife works with got back from his ride to/from Sturgis, and now has problems with two fingers on his throttle hand. Nerve and vascular damage. Ack. Fingers are discolored and have no feeling. He's getting it treated, but Jesus.

My wife, bless her soul, immediately made fun of his Harley and the vibration. :biglaugh: He retorted, knowing that her husband rode a bike too and asked what I rode. She told him. His reply was, "Huh?" :ummm: Same as the looks I get on the road. :confused2:

ALMOST THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME ONCE , ( AFTER A LONG RIDE :th_love031:) I HAD HALF A BOTTLE OF TANGUERAY GIN IN ME & GOT THIS HOT CHICK HOME , AND AFTER A HOT NIGHT OF INTERCOURSE ( F!@#^*G ) TWO FINGERS ON MY THROTTLE HAND & BOTH OF MY HEADS HURT LIKE HELL ! BUT ONLY ONE OF THEM WAS DISCOLORED !:confused2::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: PLEASE FORGIVE ME , I TRIED TO REFRAIN FROM WRITING THIS BUT I THOUGHT ABOUT IT SINCE LUNCH TIME & I HAVE KNOW SELF CONTROL !:confused2:

ALMOST THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME ONCE , ( AFTER A LONG RIDE :th_love031:) I HAD HALF A BOTTLE OF TANGUERAY GIN IN ME & GOT THIS HOT CHICK HOME , AND AFTER A HOT NIGHT OF INTERCOURSE ( F!@#^*G ) TWO FINGERS ON MY THROTTLE HAND & BOTH OF MY HEADS HURT LIKE HELL ! BUT ONLY ONE OF THEM WAS DISCOLORED !:confused2::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: PLEASE FORGIVE ME , I TRIED TO REFRAIN FROM WRITING THIS BUT I THOUGHT ABOUT IT SINCE LUNCH TIME & I HAVE KNOW SELF CONTROL !:confused2:

Timmy, I think there's a couple things that might work in a case like this:
1) A very difficult maneuver called Break-Away....not to be confused with the Brake-Away-that goes on a motorcycle!!
2) A very hard to find, script only drug called...."None-A-Tol!! :biglaugh:

Either of the above will prevent the condition you described!

Timmy, I think there's a couple things that might work in a case like this:
1) A very difficult maneuver called Break-Away....not to be confused with the Brake-Away-that goes on a motorcycle!!
2) A very hard to find, script only drug called...."None-A-Tol!! :biglaugh:

Either of the above will prevent the condition you described!
AND "DANNY " THINKS THAT I'M NUTS !:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Before I re did my seat I did 300 miles with my church group and my balls were numb for 2 days. That were`nt no fun LOL:damn angry::damn angry:
<<Dave>>:th_favorites24:

Back