new guy with an 85 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT Pockets

Reaction score
I posted this on the "Introduce yourself" sticky but wasnt sure how much traffic that gets. My apology for redundancy.

Hello all,

Years ago I bought an '85 VMAX. Loved it, rode it, modified it, and replaced tires often. Being young and had more money than I knew what to do with it all, I bought an R1. My pal who didn't have a bike borrowed the Max alot when we would go cruising. He said to me one day "You know you can ride them both at the same time, why dont you sell me your VMAX?" Well I said OK and that was that.

Rode the R1 until I started to lose respect for it and with a youngin' on the way I sold it too. I always regretted selling the VMAX.

My wife and I had our 10th wedding anniversary this past September and she surprised me with an '85 VMAX, not just any VMAX....MY VMAX!!! She tracked it down and shamed the owner into selling it!! I love that woman.

So here I am. I really never knew much about the workings of the VMAX and am trying to glean some more information from you fine folks. When things warm up here in the Great North i'll give her a spit shine and post some pics. I'm certain that I'll have questions along the way and I'll be leaning on you to help me along.

Welcome, and congrats on owning what is (in my humble opinion) the best year VMax.
Whatever questions or problems you may have with your bike, you'll find someone here who has had the same problem, or question. You'll also find someone here who has the answer..

I've had an '85 for a while now, and would never think of selling it. You're lucky to have gotten yours back.

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome. I have a few things to get out of the way and then turn my attention to her highness. I'll keep you all posted.

Great story, and a great wife!

I'd sure love to have my 1957 Harley 74 and my 1968 MGB back.

The FAA has a plane registry and I've used it to find a couple of my old airplanes complete with name and address of the current owner. I wish something like that existed for cars and m/cycles but privacy concerns would sink that dream.

Back