New headlight bulb out there

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Class action suit against Sylvania for faulty short lived bulbs going on right now. I like the sound of this Cree bulb. I despised blue or off colored lighting. My comment about it this bulb is under the same philosophy about helmets. "Git a hundred solar skull?, buy a hundred dollar helmet"
$70 for a possibly life saving bulb allowing you to see trouble or allowing a cager see you.
I'd pay that in a second if it lives up to its claims.

I purchased one similar to that from Cyclops (http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3600-Lumen-H4-H6M-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html) but haven't had a chance to get it mounted correctly yet. It will require the back of the headlight bucket to be trimmed in order to fit. I did get it slide into the housing far enough to turn on and see how it worked with the reflector. It looks to be comparable to my 55/60 watt halogen for brightness. However, as should be obvious, the cutoff is completely different and it washes much higher. Still debating whether I want to mod my bucket to fit it.

Should be 4X brighter!

The bottom line seems to have been that LEDs just are not ready for prime time yet.
Pete's right. Affordable LED's just can't compare to even standard 55/60 watt halogens, that put out 1100-1500 lumens. Perhaps there are lumen-comparable LED headlights being produced, but only Arab oil sheiks could afford them.
Give the technology a few more years, and LED's will be standard issue, powerfully bright, and affordable.

For the same reasons, I continue to use my car's eight-track player, but I've been tempted lately to switch to one of those new-fangled "cassette decks". More convenient that the 8-track, and the prices seem to have almost bottomed out.
Cheers!:punk:

I am curious as to how well the new Harley Davidson LED headlights work. I believe that they do make one that is the same size as the Vmax headlight. (should also fit in a VTX headlight housing, a future mod)

They seem expensive, but that is typical of HD pieces. I just hope that I don't suddenly lose 60hp, leak all my oil, and suddenly grow a fat, ugly chick on the pillion if I mount one!

Screw the 8-tracks & cassettes! Stick w/proven technology!

images
images

Should be 4X brighter!

The bottom line seems to have been that LEDs just are not ready for prime time yet.
Pete's right. Affordable LED's just can't compare to even standard 55/60 watt halogens, that put out 1100-1500 lumens. Perhaps there are lumen-comparable LED headlights being produced, but only Arab oil sheiks could afford them.
Give the technology a few more years, and LED's will be standard issue, powerfully bright, and affordable.

For the same reasons, I continue to use my car's eight-track player, but I've been tempted lately to switch to one of those new-fangled "cassette decks". More convenient that the 8-track, and the prices seem to have almost bottomed out.
Cheers!:punk:

I am curious as to how well the new Harley Davidson LED headlights work. I believe that they do make one that is the same size as the Vmax headlight. (should also fit in a VTX headlight housing, a future mod)

They seem expensive, but that is typical of HD pieces. I just hope that I don't suddenly lose 60hp, leak all my oil, and suddenly grow a fat, ugly chick on the pillion if I mount one!

They are feck all bright. I like riding behind them but riding in front of them sucks. They are bright enough that when behind you, your night vision is impaired enough to make the Max headlight comparable to a birthday candle. That is: you cannot see until you wave them by.

As my chapter has a newly elected RC and her bike happens to be fitted with one of these monsters (yes, I typed her) ... I can now tell you that I appreciate the light from behind.

Update from the M109Riders thread on this:

After reading the whole thread...I pulled the triger on http://bit.ly/1kUuh0u and was happy to receive it in two days. It does have the low beam facing up and high beam facing down. I just want to report that when you switch to high beam the low beam stays on, so you have both on at the same time and I like it. I didn't tested at night yet, so I can't report on how the leds perform at night.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, another user reports that he's happy with this one:

$60 w/ free shipping or $70 shipped via E-Packet (3 weeks tops via USPS from China) so I just went for it. If the A&R kit's not even for sale yet I don't wanna wait, but am still eager to hear the differences!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/one-set-H4-60W-Hi-Lo-Beam-2nd-Generation-COB-LED-Car-Headlight-Car-Fog-light/1566519786.html

Back