New Project - Tractor Pulling

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would take a long time to get there. It's only got 1st and 2nd gear (all other gears were removed as well as shift forks and even the pins to prevent accidental shifting). Plus it's double geared.

So, the output sprocket is 16tooth going to a 60 tooth on the jackshaft. Then the small gear on the jackshaft is 14tooth I think going to a 48. Serious gear reduction. I think 2nd gear is MAYBE 25-30mph.

Sean

More Pics. Got the exhaust mostly fabbed up. Still need to final weld it and make a bracket to support the front of the muffler (the bracket seen in the pic is temporary). It's a true 4-1 system. 3 of the 4 pipes are the same length and one ended up shorter (not much we could do about it). Should still perform well and make plenty of noise.

Cooling system is done, oiling system with remote filter is done, wiring is quite a long ways along. Changing the stator cover right now and adding an oil fill cap to that side for easier access. Fuel system is done.

Maybe this weekend we will apply some voltage to this sucker!

Sean

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Exhaust almost done.jpg
    Exhaust almost done.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 71
Is that little secondary gearbox going to hold up?
I've used them from 1:1, 20:1 and 40:1 on garage doors, but never put that much power through one.

It's chain drive. See the full build folder on our facebook site. Chaindrive from the engine to a jackshaft then back to the solid axle on a chain. Should be more then enough to hold up.

Sean

I see. When I first looked at it, I thought it was something else.
Have fun with that thing. It should be able to pull a house. Hope he likes it.

9000lb sled. I think he's mostly pulling just in the midwest area. We'll get video when he gets to the first event!

Sean

Wow, sick project. I'll stay tuned for videos of it at the pulls....

Bet it would be a little ripper if you swapped the sprockets between the jackshaft and axle.... With our old lawn tractor swapping the pulleys so the big one was on the engine and the little one on the transaxle made it go from like 8 to 30mph.... if the belt was fresh you could sometimes make it pop a wheelie by dropping the clutch/belt tension pedal with the motor at max speed in first gear.

The modern hydrostatic drives are no fun at all.

This thing is multi sprocketed so we can set the gearing about anywhere we want it. We've got a 15T front if I remember right going to a 60tooth mid. From there it runs on the mid shaft over to the 14T and back to 44T. I can't remember the gearing for sure but 2nd gear is like 30mph tops. We want serious pulling power and not speed.

I actually removed all the gears except 1st and 2nd. Depending on the track condition he can chose which gear he needs.

The engine is mounted to a "sled" that we adjust to set that front chain tension. We can also swap sprockets very quickly if we need more gearing changes. Loosen up 4 bolts on the sled, turn the shaft from the front (like trying to start an old model "T") and then tighten up the sled bolts again.

Keep your eyes peeled. We will get this sucker back together and painted. Should be super cool when it's done. We are going to put the side draft and methanol carbs back on.

Sean

Sooooo whatever happened to this??? Im very interested in video I would two local pulls a year its a fun time!

I think he's actually got it up for sale (he wants to go to the big boys). He was working with the hillborne setup last time he came out. Not sure he ever got it to regulate the way he wanted. I think there are a few vids of it in action on the facebook link in my signature.

Back