New Tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedfreke

Reaction score
I am hoping that by the end of the month I will have new rubber on the max. I am leaning towards the shinko's. Is there a break in period for tires or a time period that you should take it easy or are they good to go once mounted?

thanks

I am hoping that by the end of the month I will have new rubber on the max. I am leaning towards the shinko's. Is there a break in period for tires or a time period that you should take it easy or are they good to go once mounted?

thanks

ABSOLUTELY! 100 or so miles of mixed riding. Corners and straight.

If you go Shinkos, get them from Bikebandit.com - cheapest price you can find.

I got both 110/90-18 front and 170/80-15 rear on my doorstep for less than $150 :eusa_dance::biglaugh:

The stock 150/90-15 rear is even a little cheaper :clapping:

Its probably mentioned in another thread but since you mentioned it I will ask, I had priced the 120 90 18, is there any advantage to the 120 as opposed to the 110?

only cosmetic.

If anything, a wider tire will only make your bike turn slower. Some people here have gone with the 120 for looks, and didn't notice much difference. I think some had clearance issues with the front fender, while some did not. Go figure..

thanks

After you wear the new off within 50 miles and get some heat in them HOLD ON!!

Yeah, I just got the shinkos on my bike maybe 3-400 miles ago and still really likeing them. I don't have much for comparison but they are nice and grippy. The only complaint I have at this point is that the front is a little noisy, but that gets drowned out soon enough!

I went from a stock 150 ME880 to a 170 Shinko and picked up about 2 mph @ 4,000 rpm's. Speed at 4K was 62 and now is 64.
Very small change by going up a size.

Y The only complaint I have at this point is that the front is a little noisy, but that gets drowned out soon enough!

You can hear tire noise with a helmet on? Holy Sheep Ship Batman! Better check your exhaust for a bananna in your tailpipe there elephant ears

WHEN I HAVE PUT NEW TIRES ON ALL OF MY BIKES , I WIPE THE INTIRE RIDING SURFACE DOWN WITH CARBURETOR CLEANER , TO GET THE OIL'S OFF ( 2+2 GUM CUTTER ) AND THEN SCUFF THE INTIRE AREA WITH EMERY CLOTH ALL THE WAY UP TO WHERE THE TREAD MEETS THE SIDE WALL ! THIS WAY THEY ARE READY TO ROCK & ROLL , BECAUSE WITH MY LUCK , I'LL BE GOING FOR QUICK BREAK IN RIDE & HAVE A RUN IN WITH THE POOOLICE ! SO THEY HAVE TO BE READY BEFORE THE TEST RIDE ! :punk:

Last edited:
If you go Shinkos, get them from Bikebandit.com - cheapest price you can find.

I got both 110/90-18 front and 170/80-15 rear on my doorstep for less than $150 :eusa_dance::biglaugh:

The stock 150/90-15 rear is even a little cheaper :clapping:

This is appearantly "old school" but.......It doesn't seem possible to get tires for these bikes anymore in raised white letters. Are there any available that anyone knows about??

Also what is the current opinions on switching to radials with an otherwise stock bike and set-up??

I believe Dunlop still makes the RWL tire in a 150-80-15..

I just wish they made some Gangsta White Walls for my VMAX..:rofl_200:

If worse comes to worse and your stuck in the 80's they still sell the white tire craylon in the asile next to the chick still giving mulet haircuts..

This is appearantly "old school" but.......It doesn't seem possible to get tires for these bikes anymore in raised white letters. Are there any available that anyone knows about??

Also what is the current opinions on switching to radials with an otherwise stock bike and set-up??

At minimum, to switch to radials, you need an aftermarket or modified rear wheel. You can run a 18 inch radial on the stock front wheel.

Back