New Vmax Convert

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax Marine

Reaction score
I just wanted to introduce my self as a new Vmax rider I purchased a 2006 Vmax with 4950 miles, for 6k. I think I got a pretty good deal on the bike it is currently 100% stock. I would post a pic but I am sure that every knows exactly what I am talking about.

Here is a little about me, I have been riding Sport bikes for seven years in various configurations from drag to track set up (in canyons not on an actual track).
Bikes: 2003 CBR 954RR, 2005 R6

I am a Former Marine with a couple tours in the sand box in an infantry unit. I had to get out in order to finish college. I don't mind felding questions about the military (Marine Corps or Iraq)

Being new to a V Max I have noticed a few things (these are mostly common issues):

- The stopping power of the front brakes is lacking

- I am not a fan of the Bias tires (I will switch to radials next season)

- The V Max is comfortable when riding between 50-75 mph, after that your hanging on for dear life. I have not had the death wobble I tested the bike to 120 mph I still had to hang the hell on mainly due to the fkn torque. I realize that this is not a high speed motorcycle, cruising comfortably at 100+ def not a bad thing keeps the tickets down.

- Neutral gear seems a bit small between 1st & 2nd

- I need to get use to filling the tank up more often

- Very comfortable riding position

- Its a cold blooded bastard in the morning

Over all I love this motorcycle I understand I have a few bits to modify, to make this closer to what I want. That is a Muscle Bike, so some of the bits I am adding this week are: UFO Dragstar exhaust, Drag Bars, Stage 1 Jet kit, K&N filter, and getting the V Max dyno tuned.

I understand that the UFO is Stupid loud, but that is exactly what I want because my D&D exhaust on my R6 (also stupid loud) has saved my life also most if not more times than my rifle in Iraq. so no I just do not care what people driving next to me think, if they flip me off, scowl, or just give me dirty looks more the better.

I look forward to many years riding this beast.

I dont need a stage 7 I am not a HP chaser right now I am just getting use to the V Max and what it can do. also I figure that nobody is paying me to race, I am not getting handed a prize whenever I get to the stop light first.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service. My wife grew up just North of Fredricksburg, in Stafford. Her father retired from Quantico. I'm sure she never thought she would marry someone who would end up stationed in Minot.

I have a feeling I would get in a LOT of trouble if I had my Max in N Virginia. One thing you might have to watch out for is they do tend to run a little warm in stop and go traffic. I don't have too much of a problem in N Dakota but somewhere like Fredricksburg you might eventually look into a manual fan switch as something to add to your future mod list.
Anyway, yeah, this forum is great, full of friendly, informative people. Oh and good luck in your back to school ventures.

I'm with you; more power isn't the first thing this on this bike that needs to be addressed. My first improvement was the brakes, followed by a better seat and progressive springs in the forks. Handling is next up with better shocks out back and a frame brace. After that it's a crap shoot. Might dress it up or might add more power. My feeling is get the foundation and then you can build what ever you.

Btw, welcome to the forum and thanks for your service.

Welcome to VMF, and thanks for your service! The brakes aren't going to be as frisky as what you are use to from the CBR and R6, due to the fact you are stopping a 600 pound bike compared to a 380 pounder. But, I have an 06 as well and find that my fronts are more than capable of doing the job. Perhaps a fluid change, bleed and new set of pads might wake them up? I know that last year mine became glazed, and after scuffing the pads with a file and the rotor with some scotch brite, they were like new again.

I dont need a stage 7 I am not a HP chaser right now I am just getting use to the V Max and what it can do. also I figure that nobody is paying me to race, I am not getting handed a prize whenever I get to the stop light first.

Don't waste your money on a Stage 1 kit, they are junk and will do nothing but frustrate you! Downsize the main jets when you put the exhaust on and ride.

Hayabusa front caliper conversion (Morley)

G

Can't do that with his 06 forks but still call Sean he can hook you up in the brakes dept. I would also pass on the stage one jet kit, they are too fat and you'll actually lose hp so I'd either go with Sean's kit or just keep it stock and maybe shim the needles if it needs it, sounds like your off to a great start and thank you for your service!!:clapping:

Welcome to the forum, and definatly a big THANK-YOU for your service to our country!
Good idea getting the brakes up to snuff first, try using EBC HH pads to get more of a bite on the rotor if roughing up your current pads/ rotors don't help.
Good luck and enjoy your new beast!:punk:

Sounds like the guys got you pointed in the right direction.

Do not waste your money on a Stage 1 jet kit. Conact Sean Morley: [email protected] and tell him you need a set of 147.5 and 150 main jets and a set of needle shims. That should be about all you need to tune your bike on the dyno.

As far as brakes go there are not a huge amount of options on the 93+ vmaxes. You could buy some after market rotors, you could fits some "blue spot" calipers from a R1. Gold spots work too. Some guys feel that changing the brake master out to one with a 14mm bore will help. '03 yamaha fjr master works great for this. There are other options too.

IMO the oem setup is adequate if you add ebc or galfer HH pads, clean the rotors, and bed the pads in properly.

Radials are $$$. Lots of info in the tire/wheel section about options.

Welcome!

Don't waste your $ on a Stage 1. It will be way too rich. This I know from first hand experience. Just do what Mike said and get some different mains and some shims. You and the Max will be much happier.

Also, you might want to try some stainless brake lines. They don't get the mushy feel like the stock rubber ones.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service.

Thank you all for the information and support.

I should be getting all the bits put on by Saturday, if there is an issue with the stage 1, I will just upgrade, I also talked to the shop and they said that if they could not get good results on the Dyno they would do a custom job on the mains and shims.

this shop is a bit of a pain in the ass mainly due to them taking an extra week to get my parts. and lack of communication on the status of my parts, I feel like i am riding naked with out a loud pipe!!

but there are a couple of reasons that I can't complain

- I am getting 50% off labor (Vet discount)
- they have the closest dyno
- no mark up on parts (Vet thing again)
- 5% fee to sell my CBR954 instead of the going rate of 10%

i THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR PROTECTING ME & MY FAMILY FROM THOSE " SCUM-BAGS " ! . :flagwaver:

Attachments

• 100_0945_0001.jpg
    100_0945_0001.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 15
i THIS IS MY "06" , I COULDN'T RESIST ! . :confused2:

Attachments

• 100_1295.jpg
    100_1295.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_1291.jpg
    100_1291.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_1292.jpg
    100_1292.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_1293.jpg
    100_1293.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_0884.jpg
    100_0884.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 000_0209.jpg
    000_0209.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 000_0199.jpg
    000_0199.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 18
Thank you for your service.

Talk to Sean. he is awesome. Progressive springs in front and a SASY Vboost controller are a must.

Welcome to the forum and a whole new way of life, VMax..... Thank You For Your Service, Welcome Home and Good Luck with College...

Damn runner that is a nice '06 I like the whole "Warrior of the Waste Land" vibe you have going on there.

"Warrior of the waste land" I like it......................................and he did live/ride in JERSY:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back