Newbie exhaust questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke86max

Reaction score
I brought my 86 home and realized it had an exhaust leak. I pulled the back tire, needs a new one anyway, and pulled the stock exhaust and found out one of the down pipes came out of the head so I put that back together, what a beeatch, and cranked her up. WOOOW that sounds awesome without the mufflers.

Anyone know a kind of exhaust that will sound like this? I'm used to riding an old shovel and made my own 2 into 1 for it. I saw a sound bite for a UFO exhaust and did a search but couldn't find it.

Anyone making homemade exhausts? I'm really not wanting to dig into the carbs or anything yet I'd really like to put some miles on first then tear into it this winter.
Later
Duke

Alright thanks. Just trying to see how far I can go with this exhaust without rejetting for now. This winter I will get into the mods but I don't like doing that stuff when I can be riding especially since I haven't ridden this one yet.

Thanks
Duke

I have a '99 & an '06 with Mark's Performance pipes, neither is re-jetted and both run extremely well. Per Mark's recommend, a 1mm needle shim and back the A/F out to 3 1/4 turns....works great. The '99 dyno'd at 117.1 with the only change from stock being COP's. Never dyno'd the '06.

Morley's kit works very well with the Mark's but not a necessary mod if you get these pipes.

:punk: Hey Duke, UFO makes a great set of pipes. Don't let some of the guys on here sway you away from Jon, he builds high quality exhaust systems. Congrats on buying a Vmax. Good Luck, Spurs

I brought my 86 home and realized it had an exhaust leak. I pulled the back tire, needs a new one anyway, and pulled the stock exhaust and found out one of the down pipes came out of the head so I put that back together, what a beeatch, and cranked her up. WOOOW that sounds awesome without the mufflers.

Anyone know a kind of exhaust that will sound like this? I'm used to riding an old shovel and made my own 2 into 1 for it. I saw a sound bite for a UFO exhaust and did a search but couldn't find it.

Anyone making homemade exhausts? I'm really not wanting to dig into the carbs or anything yet I'd really like to put some miles on first then tear into it this winter.
Later
Duke

That sound ( w/o the mufflers ) , is additive . Be careful , the monkey is always listening ! :rofl_200:

Bear in mind that all of these are (rather) expensive full exhaust systems, whereas you can get slip-ons (much cheaper) and keep your OEM headers.

The main difference - other than price - is that full systems give more power and slip-ons don't. They just look and sound better, and weigh a LOT less than the OEM mufflers.

There's plenty of choice too, with the most popular being the Supertrapps. I love my Jardines (not made anymore unfortunately), some people love the Cobras (look and sound great but actually lose HP) and Akrapovic also make some great looking ones.

:punk: Hey Duke, UFO makes a great set of pipes. Don't let some of the guys on here sway you away from Jon, he builds high quality exhaust systems. Congrats on buying a Vmax. Good Luck, Spurs

Duke, like the old saying goes.. a bad word travels a lot faster than a good word. the Max community is very close and shit travels even faster. some people are friends with jon and will try to stick up for him. this forum is a place to come for help, knowledge meet and bullshit with fellow vmaxers. so if I would say hey go take your chances with ufo i would be steering you wrong. one of my fellow vmaxers gets screwed im spreading the word too. He, (jon) wont show his face around here. here is just a heads up of some bad exp. with jon (owner of UFO). http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1613

i have the kerker 4-1 and i love the look and the sound but im not sure about jetting as i did a stage 7 at the same time. first run all/ 1/2 of the packing blew out of the pipe and i set about 4-6 alarms off in my apt complex!

you can read and learn a lot on here and some members have posted personal sound clips under exhaust section. good luck

There's plenty of choice too, with the most popular being the Supertrapps. I love my Jardines (not made anymore unfortunately), some people love the Cobras (look and sound great but actually lose HP) and Akrapovic also make some great looking ones.

Kerker also makes slipons in aluminum or chrome with a crossover. They are expensive but sound pretty good. They come straight back instead of angle up which is good for bags if you travel much. They look better that most IMHO. (In the chrome finish. Don't like the aluminum finish myself). I had the Jardines on my previous Max and they are pretty good also but no longer made as vmaximum stated.

Back