Not a mechanic and having issues!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricebrner

Reaction score
I have a 1992 Max been a great bike but I've been having fuel in the airbox. Then the other day I was riding down the road and she didn't have hardly any power at all and all the sudden the tach was jumping up super fast without the motor actually revving. Any help would be great.

Sounds like the carbs are boogered up. You could try to drain the bowls to flush the crap out, and even give the shotgun and peashooter a try. Change the fuel filter and check for rust in the tank. I had a bike a few weeks ago that was puking fuel up through the carbs and it took several attempts at cleaning before it finally straightened up. If it doesn't get better, you will probably have to pull the rack and tear them down.

Someone just recently brought his Vmax by that had lost power and his tach was jumping around also. It turned out to be his TCI/CDI ignitor box was bad. I had never seen an ignitor box make the tach jump, but his did.

Someone just recently brought his Vmax by that had lost power and his tach was jumping around also. It turned out to be his TCI/CDI ignitor box was bad. I had never seen an ignitor box make the tach jump, but his did.

Good referral, Joe, and we all have seen a bad battery or charging system cause similar problems, it's happened to me on cars, trucks, and bikes.

loose wire or bad ground will do that also...
as for the carb...sound like junk in the needle seat making float stick.....

I have a 1992 Max been a great bike but I've been having fuel in the airbox. Then the other day I was riding down the road and she didn't have hardly any power at all and all the sudden the tach was jumping up super fast without the motor actually revving. Any help would be great.

when you say your tacho was jumping super fast without reving the motor , uou mean for example your engine was actually aboyt 2000 rpm and the tacho was showing istand veryhigher rpm that actualy your engine didnt ? then i thing your are going for a bad ignition unit.

Ok, so bike shop took a look said the coating on the valves was coming off and is throughout the motor. They said this would cause the fuel to blow back into the airbox. Again, not being a mechanic is this true or are they blowing me crap?:confused2:

Ok, so bike shop took a look said the coating on the valves was coming off and is throughout the motor. They said this would cause the fuel to blow back into the airbox. Again, not being a mechanic is this true or are they blowing me crap?:confused2:

the coating on the valves themselves or the carbon buildup on the valves?

The tach thing sounds electrical.

The valve thing sounds suspicious. I'd look for a second opinion. Maybe dig into the problem a little deeper yourself and give us some details.

It's not a coating on the valve but it can appear like one. If you look closely it will be a carbon build up.

Sean

Thanks guys. I'm going to get a second opinion on it sometime soon. I'm hoping it's just carbon build up. This is why I almost never buy a used bike. Always trouble. :bang head:

you can see the intake valves if you take the carbs/vboost off but it could be a bit daunting if you aren't used to that type of work. the right mixture will clean them up eventually

That sounds like complete and total bullshit.
The factory coating on the valves is not going to come off under any circumstances other than mechanical means, even a electric wire wheel won't remove it if you the least bit careful. (Like when cleaning carbon off in a rebuild)
If they are talking about carbon buildup breaking loose yeah that can happen but it is just going to blow out the exhaust.

Last edited:
Dealers for the most part aren't the preferred place to get a Gen 1 serviced. Try to hook up with one of the guys here on this site that do there own work. after this gets sorted out you'll be glad you bought a Vmax.
Steve

Well, final result. Dirty carbs and the back left plug wire was burnt through and grounding out. Cleaned carbs and new modern plug wires...thing is back to being a beast! Thank you all for the help and advise. Saved me from falling for the "muffler bearings" are bad routine the shops were trying to pull on me.:eusa_dance:

Glad to hear you got it sorted and found out the "Stealership" is just that.
You may be the best thing to happen to your bike. It is a 1992 so it has definitely got some years under its belt. Your issues are all basic maintenance items that should have or could have been addressed before they caused issues. Even new bikes have there issues but no need to be bummed buying a "Used" bike. Congrats on getting her fixed and start a routine maintenance and refurbishment schedule to keep her AND humming along.

Latest posts

Back