oil leak ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smakdwn9182

Reaction score
Ive got a 95 Max with a stage 7 jet kit, k&n air filters, and a 4-1 Kerker exhaust. I took it down the strip last night for the first time. Unfortunately I had an oil leak on 2 of my 3 passes. They were the harder of the 3 passes but I'm trying to figure out where it might be coming from. Engine doesn't leak under normal circumstances.

Any ideas?

I was thinking that it may be the G's from the launch that caused the oil to rush back up and out through the filler cap?? ( there is no cap on it, only a hose which leads to the air filters) Can anyone explain that either? Y doesn't it have an oil fill cap?
Thanks
Derrick

no shouldn't leak, where abouts is it wet with oil??? front back all over?
maybe the vent line came off the separator by the carbs, that will make a mess all over, pull the faux tank and take a look. post some pics

edit: sorry i meant it shouldn't leak

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a Stage 7 installed - it replaces the crankcase breather with a hose connected from the oil filler cap to the air filter.

When you go real fast, oil rushes toward the back of the motor, causing the oil level light to go on, and possibly forcing itself up that breather hose into the air filters.

Were you not able to see where the oil leaked? It's usually pretty obvious - oil runs down so look for wet and go up. Also, how much oil do you have? Try lowering the level to half-way down the oil window and see if it still does it.

the leak was on the right hand side (rear brake side). It came from somewhere on top i think, kinda by the carbs. It is my suspicion as well that the oil must have been pulled back up through the hose and shot up to the air box somehow. I had 3/4 full of oil. Why does that hose need to be there?

That is normally not a problem unless you are in an extended wheelie condition (usually somewhere late in 2nd gear and into 3rd). There is a bolt through the #3 intake (right rear) that passes into a cavity in the heads that can leak oil. Clean the bike and engine well then start looking for the leak again (before riding it). You can always try the flour test. Clean oil leaks can be hard to find so a little flour to find the "wet spot" can help.

Sean

That is normally not a problem unless you are in an extended wheelie condition (usually somewhere late in 2nd gear and into 3rd). There is a bolt through the #3 intake (right rear) that passes into a cavity in the heads that can leak oil. Clean the bike and engine well then start looking for the leak again (before riding it). You can always try the flour test. Clean oil leaks can be hard to find so a little flour to find the "wet spot" can help.

Sean

good advice Sean. why can't I stop laughing

The hose is there to reduce crankcase pressure and provide better sealing of the combustion chambers. At least that is my understanding.:confused2:

Latest posts

Back