Oil leaking from intake bolt holes? WTF

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes some of these bolts penetrate the oil cavities and need a bit of silicone going in. My trouble was getting them out! A few I had to dremel a wide slot in the head to put my biggest screwdriver with a wrench on it to remove. Be sure you have the right length screws in the right spots.

Last edited:
...but I can't get the short bolts to tighten. It's as if they are not even grabbing thread. What do I do???

They are only 4 mm shorter that the others (16 mm v. 20 mm) and all of the hole is threaded..
If it (they) won't tighten then either the thread of the bolt or in the head is Donald Ducked.

If it is in the head then you would need to helicoil to reconstitute the thread. The problem would be stopping swarf going down the hole. 'Fraid you would need to remove the head(s) to do the job properly.

The passage the bolt goes into is a relief for the cylinder stud and nut. There is no pressurized oil there. Also, there is not a large likely hood of any debris escaping that location. Still, a careful drilling using lots of grease will help make the burrs stick and come out with the bit/tap. Finally, though not pressurized you could even leave the bolts out while you fire up the bike. The oil will run out also carrying out any small pieces of debris.

I like the idea of firing it up and letting it flush though. Great idea.

Stupid question but are you sure you've got the correct diameter bolt. Have you compared it to the ones you have that do tighten up?

The issue with it weeping is that the threads are damaged or gone. Kyle's bike was my previous and this is the reason I used Ultra Black sealant and a slightly longer bolt. Helicoil or timeserts would've been the proper fix.

Back