oil light question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
Last year my oil light would come on under very hard exceleration. later in the fall it seemed to come eaiser and more often. over the winter I did the o-ring fix, so I had the pan off. changed the oil, everything looked good. fast forward to today. This is the first time out this year. The oil light came on probably 4 times in five miles. I did hammer a bit, but not a total thrashing. I double checked the oil level. I have it just below the top level marks. Just seems to be coming on to easy. Has anyone had the sensor go bad.

I keep my Oil level at about 3/4 full in the sight glass and the light comes on everytime I get on it and the VBoost kicks in.
Were you geting into the Boost when it came on, if so I'd say that's just normal for our bikes.

I was into the vboost for sure. I just don't understand why there would be a definate, noticeable change in the ease and frequency that it comes on. :ummm:

Kind of normal under 'max'imum acceleration. The oil all flows to the back of the pan and away from the sensor I believe.

I was into the vboost for sure. I just don't understand why there would be a definate, noticeable change in the ease and frequency that it comes on. :ummm:
Cold Ambient Temp or Fresh/Different Weight or Type of Oil Affecting it maybe ??
I have to say my bike definitely seems to feel Stronger in Colder Weather.

I wouldn't worry too much about it until you can ride it fairly regularly
in slightly warmer temps and see if it happens the same as it did last spring/summer.

Also did you Install that Morley Jet Kit Yet, if so that may account for the Added Acceleration also.

Last year my oil light would come on under very hard exceleration. later in the fall it seemed to come eaiser and more often. over the winter I did the o-ring fix, so I had the pan off. changed the oil, everything looked good. fast forward to today. This is the first time out this year. The oil light came on probably 4 times in five miles. I did hammer a bit, but not a total thrashing. I double checked the oil level. I have it just below the top level marks. Just seems to be coming on to easy. Has anyone had the sensor go bad.
So was your o-ring popped out the first time?

"Also did you Install that Morley Jet Kit Yet, if so that may account for the Added Acceleration also."

No morleys kit yet. I also made sure and let it warm up very well, considering the temperatures.

"So was your o-ring popped out the first time?"

This winter was the first time I pulled the pan. the o-ring was blown out. replaced it with kawi o-ring new puck. this is the first time out since the fix.

I notice this also on mine, not too worry about it but would like to know if there a way you can tell if the o-ring is getting bad, also a question about the v boost when it kick in, seems to me it does not kick as hard as before or maybe I'm just use to the bike now? Does this need to be check for adjustement somewhere or it is what it is. Thanks.

I think your bike was sayingYOUR CRAZY THERE IS STILL SALT ON THE ROADS!!!!!!!!! did u get muscle kit installed??? PS I was told never ever ever ride the max until all salt was gone...

The oil light came on probably 4 times in five miles....Just seems to be coming on to easy. Has anyone had the sensor go bad.

Last year my level light started flickering and then go off. This was not specifically related to acceleration.
The oil pressure gauge did not react to the flickering.

My best guess is that I have a bit of cr*p in there and plan to clean it out when next I drop the oil.
If it doesn't respond to that then I guess it's a new sensor. :confused2:

I think your bike was sayingYOUR CRAZY THERE IS STILL SALT ON THE ROADS!!!!!!!!! did u get muscle kit installed??? PS I was told never ever ever ride the max until all salt was gone...

No Morley kit yet. Had to drive around the salt :eusa_dance: I agree about the salt. It can make a mess of your bike in a hurry. I was lured out by the sunshine.
Thats kinda of why I keep it a "rider" :hippy biker:

Maxmidnight, When I dropped my pan, I didn't see any junk at all. I was thinking the same thing about some little pieces getting in to it, or messing with the sensor.

I guess I could just do the teenage girl/ house wife fix and put a piece of tape over the light. :rofl_200:

No Morley kit yet. Had to drive around the salt :eusa_dance: I agree about the salt. It can make a mess of your bike in a hurry. I was lured out by the sunshine.
Thats kinda of why I keep it a "rider" :hippy biker:

Maxmidnight, When I dropped my pan, I didn't see any junk at all. I was thinking the same thing about some little pieces getting in to it, or messing with the sensor.

I guess I could just do the teenage girl/ house wife fix and put a piece of tape over the light. :rofl_200:

Where a guy would remove the bulb?:biglaugh:

I have the same problem on my 2001, 20k miles. Under hard hammering acceleration the red oil light comes on momentarily, the goes off after a few seconds. I also first thought low oil, so I filled to 80% of the window mark. Still happens.

I was just going to post the same topic.... I guess it just happens

I suppose we could simply quit hammering the mighty max. :rofl_200:

I have the same problem on my 2001, 20k miles. Under hard hammering acceleration the red oil light comes on momentarily, the goes off after a few seconds. I also first thought low oil, so I filled to 80% of the window mark. Still happens.

I was just going to post the same topic.... I guess it just happens

I suppose we could simply quit hammering the mighty max. :rofl_200:

As weird as I am with my elec mods.... I'm sure there is a way to interrupt the signal, unless it exceeds 4 seconds. To stop the false alarms. I'll put that low on my list of mods.

Tothemax next time you do a oil change use a K&N 303c oil filter. Its a chrome high flow filter. I think if you get a 303 its black. I started using this filter and i always use yamalube non-synthetic high performance I got schooled a little on oil and i will be using 10w40 this year. I always start the engine and warm it up before i drain oil. If the oil is nice and warm more will drain out. I always fill my filter half way before installing it and i put 2.75 qt in and than fire it so the filter can fill all the way. than i shut it down and go have a beer and wait for all the oil to go to the pan. Than i check the window and very slowly i start puting oil in. if its low in the window i give the bottle a good quick tip and go open another beer and check it when im done drinking it. at this time you should be up on the window with oil and it wont take much to get you to the top so i just give it a little 1/4 of a tip of the bottle (oil bottle LOL) Than i go eat something and come back and check it. the closer you get to filling the window all the way the less oil you should tip out of the oil bottle. at this time dont go over a 1/2 ounce per tip and make sure you wait for it to drain to the glass or you will over fill it. If you take the leavle all the way to the top of the glass and leave just a little tiny bit of clear glass at the top and use the K&N filter your light shouldent come on much anymore. In fact i never see my light anymore and if i do i know i need to give it a little tip of the bottle. Keep in mind i do alot of wheelies when i ride and no light on the rear wheel. If you over fill it doing this dont worry because you know its hardly over filled. And if you still see your light alot than i would say you have a problem............Mike

. Keep in mind i do alot of wheelies when i ride and no light on the rear wheel. If you over fill it doing this dont worry because you know its hardly over filled. And if you still see your light alot than i would say you have a problem............Mike

Dude, can you tell me the technique you use for wheelies?? I want to learn. Slip clutch? Pop clutch? What gear/rpms best. Etc

I don't want to go a mile, just more than an out of contol up, with a slam down.

Thx coach :eusa_dance:

Latest posts

Back