Output shaft oil leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can remove the ujoint while it's mounted up on the bike. Might be easier to work with it off. I do have the seal on hand usually. You'll have to turn it small turns at a time as there isn't much room with the wrench. Seal is easily removed/installed once the ujoint is out of the way.

I'll just pull the whole thing out later. I ordered that spacer and the bearing last night. Does the nut rotate with the u-joint for tightening? I'll look in the manual.

The u-joint should remain stationary while you tighten that nut.

I removed the whole assembly from the bike. I thought it would be easier.

I pulled out the 3 bolts, then loosened the 2 pinch bolts on either side of the engine case and the carrier slid out of the case.

Then I popped the clips off the u joint. Pressed the bearing caps out and pulled the joint out of the yoke. Put the yoke in a bench vise. Removed the nut securing the yoke to the output shaft. The yoke slid right off. Pressed the shaft out of the carrier and then I had easy access to replace the seal.

thanks, guys. maybe I'll do a how-to. It doesn't sound like it'll be too bad, just have to wait for parts to arrive. How fast does Boats.net ship?

From the things that Ive ordered from Boats.net, they usually ship within 2 days.

I got my confirmation email. They say it won't ship until July 1.... Too bad. i was hoping to actually ride in the neighborhood July 4th parade. I might still be able to. At least everything runs.

I could always send one and you can mail me that one? Can't ship till Monday but would think it would still get there in time. Something to be said about a vmax guy that has it in stock lol (just giving you shit).

sent a regular email. Shoot that back when you get a chance. I'll try and get it out Monday. I am not sure which "washer/spacer" you are asking about? Should need just the seal. The crush washer i've always been ok to reuse.

The crush washer is a 1/4" thick steel washer so i doubt it will get bad... its pretty strong and its only a centering piece for the yoke and nut to seat in.

Latest posts

Back