PORT N' POLISH and other tricks(long post)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcoh4424

Reaction score
just bought an 05' motor. Ready to mount in my 85' i am resto/customizing. Was wondering if you guys think that port n polishing my intake ramps coming from the bottom of the carbs would be worth a few extra horsepower? Money is an issue since for now the i just bought the enigne. Any other tricks that could get me a few more ponys on a budget? Maybe K n filter too? I have a set of slip ons supertrapps dont know if they do anything, but they sound good.

(ps not to get off topic but i noticed a fair amount of build up on the valves on my 05' motor with 4,150 miles on it. Is that normal? should i be worried? got it from pinwall cycles n when i picked it up they had no sort of cover over my intakes, theres like little mico size rocks on top of my valves. im a little concerend if they are that careless to let stuff fall in my engine, i mean the vales on one side a somewhat open, what if theres s*** down in there?!!!:damn angry:)

Port yes
Polish No

Not going to do you much good with a stock exhaust and just slip ons.

+1, slip ons won't give you much more than sound. You want to port, but only polish the exhaust. This way the fuel will atomize a little better when entering the combustion chamber and the exhaust gasses will flow better out the pipes.

I think he is talking about the intakes?? You can match the intakes to the head for a small improvement. Don't make them larger then the head opening though.

Other then that a full header and jet kit are the only ways to increase power. With stock exhaust or slip ons don't use a jet kit (just get smaller mains).

Take an air gun/nozzle and blow down into the carb ports and blow any debris out of there. Same with the exhaust.

Note, the 05 isn't going to just bolt in and go. You need to swap some parts over to make it work. You need to swap over your flywheel and pickup assembly from the other engine. I have a flywheel from the early engines if you want to trade (or even maybe sell your current flywheel/pickup from the 05.) You'll also need to modify the cross brace to clear the oil filter or buy one from a 96 or newer bike.

Sean

o man are you kidding me? i just spent my day off bolting in my engine. why wouldnt the 05 motor work? i know the oil filter is different but internaly why would i need to change the flywheel? the motor doesnt know its in an 85 frame ya know. also why the pickups?

why wouldnt the 05 motor work? i know the oil filter is different but internaly why would i need to change the flywheel? the motor doesnt know its in an 85 frame ya know. also why the pickups?

Different pickups for the ignition.
they changed the ignition in the 90's

It's an easy swap and doesn't require getting the engine back out. Just take off the middle gear cover and stator cover of both bikes and you'll see the wiring difference. Better yet, try to plug your 2 wire orange and black plug into the 6 wire plug harness of the bike.

Now that i'm done being a smart ass (sorry), just trust that I am right. Swap the flywheel and either the complete stator cover or at least the dual pickups (90 and on have single) from your 85 engine and you'll be fine.

The engine cases changed in 1996 to the spin-on design. If you want to try and use a filter you'll see pretty quickly that you aren't going to get it on with the front cross brace. You need a small "hump" to clear it. You can either cut and weld yours or get one from a 96 or newer Vmax. Note that 2003 and up will be satin finish.

Sean

General rule of p and p, leave the intake side rough, make the exhaust as smooth and shiny are you can, you run the chance of puddling gas if the intake is too smooth.

Yep! Listen to Sean... He's forgot more about vmax's than we'll ever know...

Chris

pinwall cycles who sold me the engine, has the wire harness for 50 bucks and come to find out it is the exact same harness from the engine i bought.
would it be better to just swap harnesses? i would certainly be faster, and i need to ride b 4 the season is over!!

Well, now you are opening up a bigger can of worms. You need virtually EVERY electrical relay and switch to convert. The CDI, sidestand relay (and switch), starter relay, ect....). So, yes it can be done but you might as well get all the electrical (the coils, v-boost, pressure sensor, and a couple of misc can be reused). So, do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way.

Sean

ok. YA i see what u mean. i would have to switch over a lot. i looked at the 05 harness and it looks like a nightmare trying to get it to work. ill go with your first idea of switching stator and flywheel.

As noted, I would possibly be interested in buying them or sending replacements for the right year to trade out.

Sean

Back