Prepping a car for paint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
Where I live, a tornado blew through a month or two back and a bunch of limbs fell on my car. Scratched it to all hell. Thankfully, it didn't damage the convertible top or any windows. So....the insurance company cuts me a check for WAY LESS than any body shop is quoting me for a full paintjob.
I talked to a body shop owner that I know, and he's told me the same thing.....if they do the whole thing, it'll be around $3500.
But....I told him that I could prep the whole car for paint on my own. That's easy, and I've done it before on 2 different motorcycles. He said that if I bring the car in prepped, he'll only charge me $1000 for the paintjob. The insurance company gave me a check for $2000, so that means I'm in business.

Here's my dillemma though....I don't remember what grit sandpaper to use. I know it can't be super coarse because I just need to take off the clear coat, not take it down to bare metal. I'm only having the car painted over the same color it already is (it's a special edition car, otherwise I'd choose a different color). Any help? Someone on here has to know about painting.

If all you're gonna do is take the clear coat off, I wouldn't use anything much coarser than 1000 sandpaper, but then I'm no expert.

what kind of car is it? no idea on the sandpaper.

It's a 1995 Mazda Miata M Edition.
They hold their resale value pretty well, and once I get the paint fixed, she'll be in near mint condition, except for the mileage being high.

Talk abut two opposite ends of the spectrum. Vmax vs. Miata. We've never seen this softer, gentler side of you Kozy.
:rofl_200::biglaugh::clapping:
LOL, J/K

Talk abut two opposite ends of the spectrum. Vmax vs. Miata. We've never seen this softer, gentler side of you Kozy.
:rofl_200::biglaugh::clapping:
LOL, J/K

LMAO!

I forgot to mention that the Miata is one of the best cars to have for drifting. I'm saving up money to drop a turbo in it. I've thought about doing the Monster Miata 5.0 swap....but it wouldn't so much be a Miata anymore. Get on YouTube and search for "turbo miata" or "turbo miata drift" and you'll see that it's not so much a "softer, gentler" side. LOL

I get made fun of ALLLL the time by everyone. I always say, come for a ride with me in the car once and you'll change your mind about it being a chic's car.

600 grit to take down the clear and some of the base. Use a D/A to do the work.

I would spend ALL of the 2000 having them repaint it though. Make sure they use 3 coats of clear.

Use a D/A to do the work.

I would spend ALL of the 2000 having them repaint it though. Make sure they use 3 coats of clear.

What's a "D/A?"
I'm not sure I want to spend a full $2000 on the paintjob. That's a bit overboard. Although I have to consider the source.....chris. LOL
These folks have painted parts of cars for me before, and they always did a good job. I'll trust them to do the same quality of work now as they've done for me before.

LMAO!

I forgot to mention that the Miata is one of the best cars to have for drifting. I'm saving up money to drop a turbo in it. I've thought about doing the Monster Miata 5.0 swap....but it wouldn't so much be a Miata anymore. Get on YouTube and search for "turbo miata" or "turbo miata drift" and you'll see that it's not so much a "softer, gentler" side. LOL

I get made fun of ALLLL the time by everyone. I always say, come for a ride with me in the car once and you'll change your mind about it being a chic's car.

After watching "The Fast and the Furious:Tokyo Drift" on my movie station (FYI:TBS is the ghetto movie station for broke people) at 1AM last weekend I am all about learing how to drift. I just cant figure out how to do it in my wife's stupid pacifica. Trust me, a Miata is cooler than that lunch box.

After watching "The Fast and the Furious:Tokyo Drift" on my movie station (FYI:TBS is the ghetto movie station for broke people) at 1AM last weekend I am all about learing how to drift. I just cant figure out how to do it in my wife's stupid pacifica. Trust me, a Miata is cooler than that lunch box.

Oh yeah, I watch TBS movies ALL the time. I just wish they would show the movies withOUT the commercials every 15 minutes!!!

I highly doubt you'll be able to drift a Pacifica, but I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see someone try it!!!

What's a "D/A?"
I'm not sure I want to spend a full $2000 on the paintjob. That's a bit overboard. Although I have to consider the source.....chris. LOL
These folks have painted parts of cars for me before, and they always did a good job. I'll trust them to do the same quality of work now as they've done for me before.

Dual Action... It oscillates... Keep it moving. I'd also hand sand it with a block and some 800 and then 1000 grit.

#1 key to a good paint job... PREP! NQA!

LMAO!

here's the boy version!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Here's my car...except the roll bar is different.

Attachments

• Kozy_Miata1.jpg
    Kozy_Miata1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 9
I plan to do an SCCA event with my G8 to see how it works. I have full suspension on it now. I just need to find the time. Maybe in the spring...

Chris

I'd love to do more AutoX events as well, but the only place around me that holds events is about 45 minutes away. I don't have a CLUE where the next closest place would be. Too far, most likely.

a D/A sander is bad advice for somebody that has never used one, you can make a lot of bad mistakes that will show up when painted. WET sand the hole car with 600 grit paper made for wet sanding.

Latest posts

Back