Progressive Fork Springs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flat4v4

Reaction score
My 1986 front forks no longer hold air and are leaking pretty bad. So I need to replace the seals and I figured I would switch to progressive springs while I’m at it, but I’m not sure exactly what I should get. I have some picked out, but to be honest I don’t really know what I’m looking at. I was hoping someone could either give me some advice on what to get or if what I have picked out would work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s what I planned on ordering: http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark.../progressive-suspension-fork-springs?m=146883

Looks like the right thing to me. Though, It doesn't include the lowering springs if you wanted to drop the front end an inch or two.

If I were you I'd contact Sean Morley. He normally stocks all this stuff. His progressive springs (and shock) pricing is VERY competitive. He would also sell you the seals and anything else you may need.

Support the guy that made a how to video detailing the job you're about to do!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

how would I go about getting into contact with Sean Morley? do you know his username on the forum?

I wanted comfort more than a lowered stance so I used the OEM height Progressives and bought all the OEM seals and dust covers from Morley's. I also used his youtube video as a guide to do the job and did just as it said down to fluid choice and the results are excellent.

Just like COPs its a significant improvement for a pretty modest investment.

My 1986 front forks no longer hold air and are leaking pretty bad. So I need to replace the seals and I figured I would switch to progressive springs while I’m at it, but I’m not sure exactly what I should get. I have some picked out, but to be honest I don’t really know what I’m looking at. I was hoping someone could either give me some advice on what to get or if what I have picked out would work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s what I planned on ordering: http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark.../progressive-suspension-fork-springs?m=146883

I have a set of Progressive springs that have around 3000 miles on them that I'd sell for $50.00 plus shipping.

Dave

I have seen Sean's video on Youtube where his kid is helping out and what not....but I'd like a better video on switching up from stock to progressive springs...

Is there a better reference or sticky for doing this mod/upgrade?

I already have all the parts I need for the job, including fork oil, which I found online, can't remember the site but nevertheless it was an awesome price. Maxima fork oil I think it is... anyways..

Is there a better sticky for fork spring swap?

Also, I'm about 6 foot 1, and wouldn't mind considering lowering an inch or so.. 200lbs (after I lose a few)..

I know Sean talks about it, it's been a while since I have watched the video (still dealing with carb rebuild)....and can probably find out how to lower an inch.

What are advantages of lowering an inch on top of upgrading to progressive springs?

I may also have to consider this, but I'd like to reshape my seat, possibly get some sort of good foam or gel pad or insert or something to make it more comfortable... so that may lower my butt a little bit as well... not sure yet. I can't afford a different seat and would rather try to do things myself anyways. THis may be a winter project I'm guessing....

so when I do my forks i'd like to make a great walk-through. Sean's vid is good, but to the first-timer-DIY kinda guy, I'd like a better step by step reference. Maybe a chance to contribute back to the community...

I have seen Sean's video on Youtube where his kid is helping out and what not....but I'd like a better video on switching up from stock to progressive springs... I will post the video below. Here is the assembly video, Stacy is not in this one.

Is there a better reference or sticky for doing this mod/upgrade? The assembly video covers swapping to progressive springs

I already have all the parts I need for the job, including fork oil, which I found online, can't remember the site but nevertheless it was an awesome price. Maxima fork oil I think it is... anyways..Seans video recommends synthetic ATF or power steering fluid.

Is there a better sticky for fork spring swap?

Also, I'm about 6 foot 1, and wouldn't mind considering lowering an inch or so.. 200lbs (after I lose a few)..Most people will shorten the forks internally an inch to balance out with the rear shocks......IE going with shorter rear shocks, and so droipping the forks an inch to balance them out. You can drop the front forks an inch on its own to put more weight on the front tire and make it corner better.

I know Sean talks about it, it's been a while since I have watched the video (still dealing with carb rebuild)....and can probably find out how to lower an inch. Watch the video.

What are advantages of lowering an inch on top of upgrading to progressive springs? See above.

I may also have to consider this, but I'd like to reshape my seat, possibly get some sort of good foam or gel pad or insert or something to make it more comfortable... so that may lower my butt a little bit as well... not sure yet. I can't afford a different seat and would rather try to do things myself anyways. THis may be a winter project I'm guessing....Dman999 has a good thread about reshaping his seat.

so when I do my forks i'd like to make a great walk-through. Sean's vid is good, but to the first-timer-DIY kinda guy, I'd like a better step by step reference. Maybe a chance to contribute back to the community...

Don't forget to set that SAG on the front end. I dropped my forks an inch (following the progressive directions), and to get the front SAG set correctly, I still had to cut 15 mm off of the front spacers to get the SAG set at 30 mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKKdbwMQ5fY

You can raise your forks 1" in the triples to test it out and see if you like the way it handles before you decide to lower them internally.

I can't say there are definite benefits to lowering internally. Only things that are benefits in my opinion.

#1. Lowering internally creates more overlap which *should* increase rigidity
#2. I like the way the bike handles with the front end a bit lower than the rear. Its a personal preference. Not everyone will agree. Most probably would but not all.

As far as fork oil, you can use whatever is available at the local bike shop. A synthetic would be nice but really needed. If you are doing springs only (no emulators/intiminators) 15 or 20wt oil is common. This is a rider preference thing. I'd go with 15 but, can't say which one you would like better.

I just changed to Progressive springs on my 2002 Vmax, installed new seals and now, I have no give in forks........they act as if they are stuck! I didn't cut the tube, was only 3/8" longer, I had about 1 1/2" of tube sticking up before I closed top off. And yes, I made sure I had only 4 and 3/4 " down to fluid. What did I do wrong?

Cut the tube just like the directions call for. Otherwise.....you get the problem that you have now......too much preload.

After that set the sag on the bike. Ive got progressive springs with a 1 inch drop in my 07. The front end always felt a little bit stiff, after i measured the sag, now I know why. I had a front end sag of about 15 mm, and it shouldve been atleast at 30 mm. After I took another 15 mm off of the PVC spacer........SO much better. After that the front sag was at 30 mm, and then changed back to the stock caps, so I'm about 35 mm right now.

http://www.sportrider.com/ask-geek-set-your-static-sag

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-r.../november/feb23-05-how-to-set-suspension-sag/

I installed the stock length Progressive Springs and cut the PVC spacers provided by Progressive to 9.37" (9 - 3/8") and filled them to 4.8" down as shown in Sean's video and I am very happy that setup.

So I'd definitely cut the spacers down to the recommended length and then check the sag like Trauma did.

Back