Quick question about winter storage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I have my bike in a heated storage and I put Seafoam in the gas and filled it up before putting in storage. Each month ( which has only been 1 so far ) I go there and turn the ley to fill the bowls.

Should I start it from time to time also?

Thanks
Ron

I usually do the same, but start the bike every 2 weeks. That keeps some oil on the cylinder walls.

If you do start the bike (which isn't a bad idea) you need to allow it to get to operating temperature. If you don't the condensation initially formed during startup will collect and rust the insides of the engine. The bad thing about idling for so long is that it can cause deposits to build up.

Seafoam and Stabil are both good fuel additives for what you are doing.

Sean

how often do u think starting is good? 3-4 weeks?

I may not start mine for 2-3 months. The key is keeping the fuel from breaking down. Stabil or Seafoam will help that.

Sean

oh definitely. i usually use a tad of both. just curious on starting it. mine is usually only away for 3 months before i start itching to ride it anyways!

As mine's away now for at least 4 months, I put some Stabil in the tank, ran it a bit, then disconnected the fuel pump and let it run until it died. That way I have fuel with Stabil in the tank, but the carbs are dry. In the florida winter, with the bike outside but in a capsule cover under a car port, I reckon it'll be just fine this way. I may inject a little fresh oil into each plug hole b4 restarting it next year..

My bikes have always sat for 6 months for the winter season. I just put stabil or seafoam in the tank, run it for a bit. them pop the plugs and quirt a little oil in the cyls then turn the bike over a few times. put the plugs back in and cover it up.

I've never started them until spring.

Leave fuel in the bowls and turn the key once a week to keep 'em full.

i remember that suggestion of yours and do it.

I'm not sure I agree mark but that's why we all have opinions. I feel running the bowls empty and not letting them dry over time helps prevent the build up of varnish. Running the carbs dry (by unplugging the pump and letting the bike run until it dies) allows for the remaining vapors and fuel quickly without any residue.

Personally, I don't do any of the above mentioned items. We have riding season almost year round at any point. It may snow one day and by the next day be 70 degrees. Plus, if it gums up I can clean it.

Sean

hey sean, shouldn't stabil/seafoam help with the varnishing?

ya know what would be a good test. get like 3 sealed containers and put a main jet in each. then put straight gas in one, gas and stabil in another (recommended ratio) and then like gas and seafoam in the 3rd. would be interesting to see the results after say like 6 mos or a year.

Sean, I put Seafoam in the tank before a refill and then run for several minutes to ensure treated fuel gets in the bowls. If the bowls dry then those rubber block caps can shrink.

Anything is possible but the varnish from letting it slowly dry up I think might be worse then the rubber shrinking. Stabil or seafoam should indeed help the varnish conversion so if you can remember to go out and turn the key in it would be the best.

Maybe someone should make an automated starting machine. Maybe use a timer like is on my sprinkler system?? Wire in something into the start switch??

Sean

Does anybody take thier battery out of thier motorcycle and bring it inside? That is, if you live in a place where the winter gets below zero. I keep my battery charged on a Battery Tender "Plus" but even then my bats don't seem to last as long as they should. If you live in a warm climate, this won't be an issue.

Attachments

• image017.jpg
    image017.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 16
As mine's away now for at least 4 months, I put some Stabil in the tank, ran it a bit, then disconnected the fuel pump and let it run until it died. That way I have fuel with Stabil in the tank, but the carbs are dry. In the florida winter, with the bike outside but in a capsule cover under a car port, I reckon it'll be just fine this way. I may inject a little fresh oil into each plug hole b4 restarting it next year..

Do you really need to put your bike away for 4 months in Florida? I'm in Michigan and would think you could ride year round for the most part. I just put mine up last week and can usually ride after the first rain in late march early april. If it wasn't for the salt on the roads there are probably a few days earlier in march to ride. I know I'm off topic so I'll quit.
It's a shame we have to put away the hot rods for the winter. I always use Stabil or a premium octane booster like Lucas to treat the gas then make sure the carbs are empty. I've got almost 12k miles on mine and never had any problems. Although I should probably adjust and sync them as a maintenance thing.

Does anybody take thier battery out of thier motorcycle and bring it inside? That is, if you live in a place where the winter gets below zero. I keep my battery charged on a Battery Tender "Plus" but even then my bats don't seem to last as long as they should. If you live in a warm climate, this won't be an issue.

Actually the cold slows the discharge rate. Save the hassle of taking it out and leave it in and hook up a battery tender.

I did when my bikes were kept outside. Gets -60f in these parts, I've seen 10/40 oil solidify and batts freeze and crack.

Attachments

• winter4.jpg
    winter4.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 53
  • winter 1.JPG
    winter 1.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back