R1 COPs Installation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
Just bought some R1 COPs off eBay. Think they are 2004 or 2005. Have read all the posts I could find about this mod but am wondering if anyone has installed these specific COPs on their Max. Has anyone posted instructions for these? Couldn't find any. If you have installed these, are there any tips, etc? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I am trying this because my Max is not running right and I suspect it is ignition related. It starts and runs smooth through the rpm range without missing but has lost a considerable amount of acceleration. Like it was running on two or three cylinders. Am going to do some more checking later this week but it is in storage and not readily available.

I just bought the same cops, will be installing them next week. I know the Mitsubishi (r1) cops work, i remember someone saying they used them with no problems. Just be sure you get a coil harness so you can use the watertight clips. Wiring looks simple, the vmax coils all have a red/white wire, the r1 harness uses a red/black, then each coil has a different color wire going to the ignitor, I'll be hooking it up this way. Hope it fixes your problem!

I'm sure I remember people saying the Mitsubishis are a big no-no, and the Densos are the ones to go for.
If your bike isn't running right by all means try the COPs but they'll only help you if your OEM coils and/or HT leads are faulty. If not they'll make no difference whatsoever.

I did post a full 'how-to' thread with pictures, from memory it lives in the 'Users Mods' sub forum.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Here is a pic of the COPs I bought. They seem to have the complete harness. Guess it has to be spliced into the Max wiring.

Attachments

• CIMG0002.jpg
    CIMG0002.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 22
  • CIMG0001.jpg
    CIMG0001.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 26
Ya, you need to get some crimp-on connectors to get them onto the connectors that go to the OEM coils. Check out my install thread I show what I did to mine - they came just like that.

Alternatively you could try to get hold of those nice 2-pin block connectors that are on the coils, and keep the wiring nice and stock.

or cut up the oem coils and heat shrink the wires onto them and then it'd be really stock! might even easily be able to find the connectors that go INSIDE the plastic piece so its all re-usable.

You got me worried about those Mitsubishi coils naughtyG. The primary ohms out at about 1.6 for
all of them, which is what I think the Densos are to. Seems like they should work, but we'll see. I was going to use the stock coil connectors and splice onto the R1 harness, use some factory sheilding, and make it look OEM. Hope it works.

1.6Ω sounds fine - same as Densos. Do a search on Mitsubishis here - I'm sure I remember someone complaining about them but i could be wrong..

I already have the Mits, so I'm going to try them, if it's a no go the wiring will be the same,
I can just swap em for Densos. The writeup you did for the cop install is awsome naughtyg, a "must read" for anyone doing this.

1.6Ω sounds fine - same as Densos. Do a search on Mitsubishis here - I'm sure I remember someone complaining about them but i could be wrong..

vinmax and i were. bike ran worth shit when it was cold or damp out with mitsu. haven't had a chance to put the denso's on yet tho. (stock setup)

I had problems with the Mitsubishi R1 cops. If you install them, let the bike warm up good and park it in the garage with it running. Turn out the lights and see if you see any sparking from the cops to the engine block. If you do, then those won't work for you. They will make the bike intermittently shut off at idle and low speeds.

I'm running Denso's now. The short ones. No problems any more.

Vinnie

Latest posts

Back