R6 vs. VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess after jumping off a Gixxer and onto the V-Max, I really notice. Not that I'm scared of the bike, but I know the limitations are a LOT sooner than on the Gixxer 750 I had. Again, I've had the Max dragging pegs, and still been left behind. I would say I've had the bike at 95+% of it's limits while the other guys weren't breaking a sweat.

like I said you have to ride it for what it is. A power cruiser . A equal rider on a GSXR 750 compared to a Vmax will beat a Vmax through the hills. But a poor rider on a GSXR 750 will have a hard time hanging with a good rider on a Vmax. lol I had a guy on a GSXR 750 say he could not believe he could not keep up with me on my vmax through the hills. My first thought was not how good I am and a Vmax is. it was "this guy can't ride"

I ride with a group that has V-Maxes as the "around town" bikes. We all have other bikes also. There were 5 of us with Maxes (6 including one (Ken) in Texarkana) but one (Jim) had the meltdown I mentioned a couple weeks ago. He sold it to another friend (Andrew) in the group who intends to fix it. Another (Greg) has a Kaw ZX10 and just sold his Max to another friend (Jack who already has a Max) so he could buy a new ZX14 SE. So that leaves us with 4 running Maxes in the group with one guy (Jack) having 2 Maxes. Confused yet??

Anyway, we meet twice a week (Thursday evening and Saturday afternoon) for coffee and BS at Denny's at Midway and Central Exp, just north of the LBJ High Five. If the weather is good, we often skip the Saturday afternoon coffee to go riding but may show up later at night. Any riders are welcome to come by and visit. Some of us have been riding together since 1969 and are a bunch of old farts. There are a few younger riders that have joined the group over the years and a few younger friends that are not bike riders that show up also. We usually sit in the north east corner booth and surrounding booths but I don't think you will have a hard time figuring out where we are!!

Hey m-cman do you mean Midpark & Central. I think Midway parallels Central. Anyway, I hope to get more time away from work so I can go riding. I grew up in Richardson so I think I know where yall meet.
Jayhawk, where at in Garland is the Sonic?

Hey m-cman do you mean Midpark & Central. I think Midway parallels Central. Anyway, I hope to get more time away from work so I can go riding. I grew up in Richardson so I think I know where yall meet.
Jayhawk, where at in Garland is the Sonic?

It's on Garland Rd., just south of 635, right by Fry's Electronics (if you know where that is).

There's generally a 100+ bikes there every Thursday night, 90% of them sport bikes. The kids start stunting up and down Garland Rd. while the crowd watches, then the police come by about 10:00 p.m. and shut everyone down. Cruiser guys and old guys like me stand around sipping our limeades and watch the festivities. :rofl_200:

It would be pretty cool if we could get some Maxers coming by. It really is a hoot.

I ride with a group that has V-Maxes as the "around town" bikes. We all have other bikes also. There were 5 of us with Maxes (6 including one (Ken) in Texarkana) but one (Jim) had the meltdown I mentioned a couple weeks ago. He sold it to another friend (Andrew) in the group who intends to fix it. Another (Greg) has a Kaw ZX10 and just sold his Max to another friend (Jack who already has a Max) so he could buy a new ZX14 SE. So that leaves us with 4 running Maxes in the group with one guy (Jack) having 2 Maxes. Confused yet??

Anyway, we meet twice a week (Thursday evening and Saturday afternoon) for coffee and BS at Denny's at Midway and Central Exp, just north of the LBJ High Five. If the weather is good, we often skip the Saturday afternoon coffee to go riding but may show up later at night. Any riders are welcome to come by and visit. Some of us have been riding together since 1969 and are a bunch of old farts. There are a few younger riders that have joined the group over the years and a few younger friends that are not bike riders that show up also. We usually sit in the north east corner booth and surrounding booths but I don't think you will have a hard time figuring out where we are!!

Wow, you mean on Thursday evening I driving by a group of Maxers meeting on my way to Garland? :biglaugh: Perhaps next week I'll try and stop in. Thanks for the info!

It's on Garland Rd., just south of 635, right by Fry's Electronics (if you know where that is).

There's generally a 100+ bikes there every Thursday night, 90% of them sport bikes. The kids start stunting up and down Garland Rd. while the crowd watches, then the police come by about 10:00 p.m. and shut everyone down. Cruiser guys and old guys like me stand around sipping our limeades and watch the festivities. :rofl_200:

It would be pretty cool if we could get some Maxers coming by. It really is a hoot.
Sounds like me back in the 80's stunting up & down Forest Ln. in my 69 442

Haha this is my last post in this thread. The minute I say the Max can't hang, I'm the one at fault as I'm automatically not a good rider, which I believe to be false. Hanging the front tire on my Max in second gear at 11 o'clock and riding it out, now with forward controls, yeah, I suck at riding. Dragging foot pegs with both standard and forward controls, oh yeah, I'm terrible. Jeeze guys there's no comparison in a 600+ lb tank of a bike to a 380lb bike that's MADE to do corners on it's side.

In short, when I'm dragging pegs around turns and a friends FZR of all things is pulling away from me around on ramps, something isn't adding up to the Max being that capable.

Am I bitter about it, pfft no. I know what the bike is, and it's not meant to handle with the sport bikes.

Qaurter this is a losing battle
Well no shit there are a lot of sport bike accidents compared to VMAX's
I see 200 sportbikes for each VMAX so you cant compare numbers
Most VMAX owners are 40+ guys that go through the mid life crisis
Most riders here dont ever see the MAX speeds on there VMAX and dont ride them very hard
I am done with this thread Your VMAXS all handle great!

He's unsteady because he can't seem to sit still on the bike. Looks like he thinks he's riding the R6 instead of a Vmax.

seems like the max owners with the older models, who have them lowered, have the handling problems..almost did not buy one because of all the talk about them being so bad......my 06 is one of the smoothest ,best handling bikes ive owned...no wobbles high speed ...., corners ,,on and off ramps like its on rails for the speeds that i do...thats all that matters its a great bike

That R6 was barely moving. He could've dusted the Max at any time. My son I had one for awhile and power doesn't come on until past 9000RPM. That road, BTW, is in Spain, near the French border.

Most riders here dont ever see the MAX speeds on there VMAX and dont ride them very hard

no mid life crisis here...only bike i liked the looks of......id be in a mid life crisis if i where strapping my front end down and saying honey im going to the drags :rofl_200:...if my bike didnt handle worth of shit id be riding a 1/8 of a mile at a time also

no mid life crisis here...only bike i liked the looks of......id be in a mid life crisis if i where strapping my front end down and saying honey im going to the drags :rofl_200:...if my bike didnt handle worth of shit id be riding a 1/8 of a mile at a time also

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

lol why you got to be like that. I am 42 and have a max so does that mean I am in the middle of a midlife crissis? It handles great for it it is. BTW If I was in a midlife crisis for speed I would buy a hyabusa my daily driver car runs 10's so I didn't buy a Vmax for a speed rush. I have always had fast stuff. so get off the age thing.

funny thing when buying a new bike last year . i could of bought anything..all of a sudden the quickest or fastest did not interest me any more..guess its called growing up....but the max being around as long as i can remember and sitting there unchanged...kind of reminded me how we all would like to go through life

lol why you got to be like that. I am 42 and have a max so does that mean I am in the middle of a midlife crissis? It handles great for it it is. BTW If I was in a midlife crisis for speed I would buy a hyabusa my daily driver car runs 10's so I didn't buy a Vmax for a speed rush. I have always had fast stuff. so get off the age thing.

I agree, I'm 44, I've ridden faster bikes, I've ridden better handling bikes, Point is I've always RIDDEN bikes...........Midlife crisis is the 45 year old guy who bought a FLHXRGFDSS as his first bike so he could be different just like everybody else........No age is wrong for a first bike of course..never take that away from anyone...

But I've never ridden any bike that makes me as happy as the Max....

I will admit that the first couple of hundred miles on this bike I started having second thoughts, it handled like crap and struck fear in my heart at the mere sight of a curvy entrance or exit ramp...I thought I had made a mistake...I don't wanna ride a scary bike.......But the max's frame geometry isn't so different than many other well handling bikes so therefore I believed that the problems could be cured......That's when I found this sight and others and found out that all these ills are easily fixed; it's not cheap or easy either....I feel sorry for people who love this bike but are scared of it's stock handling traits and feel it can't be cured and therefore choose to live with it the way it is but continue to believ it is inherenlty a poor handling bikeWhite knuckles should never happen on a well set up Max......Of course it's not a sport bike and never will be but like I said earlier...properly set up the only limits to it's handling abilities are tire traction, weight...and ground clearance.....

Back