radial and bias question?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax1125

Reaction score
i know this has been talked about before but let me ask again i have a 110/80 radial on the front and plan on installing the stock rear wheel with maybe a 170/80 tire is this a problem. i know it was said you could run both together but which combination and what happens when you dont listen i have that problem!!lol
Chris

I'm not actually too sure what happens, but I know I've heard everywhere that you cannot mix radial and bias tires. I guess there's a real danger?

you can run a radial rear with the stock front, but not a radial front with the stock rear. if you have any wobble now, it will increase tenfold by running stock rear/radial front. when i did the R1 front end upgrade, i had to wait to install the forks till i got a wider radial on the rear. i did ride one full season with the wider radial rear and stock front-no problems. i even went up a tire size in the front to a 120! first 2 pics are wide/radial rear with stock, bias ply front (120 for rubber). last 2 are how the bike currently sits, waiting for digital speedo, breather bottle install, chrome shortened sidestand, rear hugger install, and chromed rear brake bar. enjoy

later odieoh24

Attachments

• 353.jpg
    353.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 28
  • 349.jpg
    349.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 24
you can run a radial rear with the stock front, but not a radial front with the stock rear. if you have any wobble now, it will increase tenfold by running stock rear/radial front. when i did the R1 front end upgrade, i had to wait to install the forks till i got a wider radial on the rear. i did ride one full season with the wider radial rear and stock front-no problems. i even went up a tire size in the front to a 120! first 2 pics are wide/radial rear with stock, bias ply front (120 for rubber). last 2 are how the bike currently sits, waiting for digital speedo, breather bottle install, chrome shortened sidestand, rear hugger install, and chromed rear brake bar. enjoy

later odieoh24

Great job Jeff....your bike looks terrific!! :clapping::thumbs up::clapping:

i have no wobbles or shakes i still dont see the big picture the front end of the maxes has the problem thats why its braced and raceteched up its very solid at 110+. i just cant see the rear tire shaking the bike apart i guess i will have to put on the stocker and ride it to find out.
Chris

been playing with cars and bikes since before radials came out. Never had a tire guy say radial up front only was a good idea, car OR motorcycle. Go to a manufactures FAQ and you will still find this is the recommendation.
In NY they used to check it as part of an inspection, not sure anymore.

radial in the back only= ok.

would strongly encourage you to talk to the folks you are buying your tire from.

Good general article on MC tires, lots of info:
http://www.beehivebeemers.org/Tires.pdf

if you go to any factory specs they tell you not to mix tires but i still want to know why i think you would want the better radial on the front and bias on the rear its like recaps on trucks virgin on the front and caps in the rear. its ok to run bias front and rear on the vmax as it comes from the factory but what bad will come from mixing them. i need someone with
hands on exp. in the subject.
Chris

if you go to any factory specs they tell you not to mix tires but i still want to know why i think you would want the better radial on the front and bias on the rear its like recaps on trucks virgin on the front and caps in the rear. its ok to run bias front and rear on the vmax as it comes from the factory but what bad will come from mixing them. i need someone with
hands on exp. in the subject.
Chris

chris man, your tires and your brakes are your LIFE on this bike. the common concensus is radial rear/bias ply front. or keep them the same front and back, bias or radial. i was tempted to do it when i got the front end, but the dealership wouldnt even install the front end till i did the rear wheel first. they had nothing to gain as none of the rear wheel parts were purchased from them-it was totally a safety issue! speaking of tires, as i was looking for a place to mount the new crankcase breather bottle, i saw i was down to the core on the rear!! looks like an emergency trip to the shop first thing for a new skin. breather bottle pics in mods thread.

later odieoh24

i fully understand and i will not be unsafe thanks for the concern i just want to know why thats the question we all know that they should not be mixed that way but why? i will dig into it and find the answer of what exactly can happen.
Chris

i fully understand and i will not be unsafe thanks for the concern i just want to know why thats the question we all know that they should not be mixed that way but why? i will dig into it and find the answer of what exactly can happen.
Chris

If you really have to have a scientific explanation to satisfy yourself, call one of the tire manufacturers and ask why.

dont ask here. the only thing your gonna get here is people who have actually tried it.

I dont think anyone here is truly qualified to answer your question. no offense people

tire mfgr will tell you never to mix radial and bias.

you say you want to find out what can actuallly happen, your bike will handle like shit.

tire mfgr will give you worst case scenario and may never truly answer your question or may not tell you what you want to hear or maybe they will just tell you it not suppose to be done because they are not similar construction so just dont do it, thats what they told me.

just listen to what we are telling you from real world experience, your bike will handle like shit, thats what can actually happen.

many have tried the bias in the rear and radial in the front with very scary results, this has been recorded time and time again.

But as odie said you can get by with a radial in the rear and bias in front, not the other way around, although mfgr will say not to mix.

i read hd and yamaha put radial and bias mixs on some bikes and the real confusing thing is we beef up the front with springs and emulators along with a radial like i did and it handles great. what i read was the side walls on the bias tires tend to be stiffer which changes there ride and the tire manuf. recommend you adhear to factory recommendations so they dont put any hard facts out either. i would think the bias on the front would ride worst but apparently i dont know s**t. so i am going to need a 18" rear wheel because the front is staying anyone got one for sale?
Chris

i read hd and yamaha put radial and bias mixs on some bikes and the real confusing thing is we beef up the front with springs and emulators along with a radial like i did and it handles great. what i read was the side walls on the bias tires tend to be stiffer which changes there ride and the tire manuf. recommend you adhear to factory recommendations so they dont put any hard facts out either. i would think the bias on the front would ride worst but apparently i dont know s**t. so i am going to need a 18" rear wheel because the front is staying anyone got one for sale?
Chris

finding a used 18" rear rim are hard to come by. or any used aftermarket wheel for the max.

you could call Sean morley or send your rear to kosman for a 550.00 mod, that would be your cheapest.

Latest posts

Back