radiator flush with vinegar

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
gonna flush my radiator soon, i hear most of you guys use vinegar with distilled water, sounds like a plan. Picked up 3 gallons of distilled water, and going to do 1 flush with the vinegar water then 1 more with regular distilled.

for the vinegar flush, what type of vinegar do you use and what proportion to the water?

thnx

Something else to think about is the coolant you use. I use Toyota Factory Red and don't get any crud. I haven't ever flushed coolant in a Vmax as there isn't a need with the right coolant. IMO.

thanks for the info guys. i use toyota red.. how do i tell if i have crud in my system, rinse it with water and see if anything comes out?

mark, you've never changed your coolant?

I change the coolant every two years but do not do the rinse with distilled/vinegar. I drain and refill only.

so i may not need to flush. anyway to tell if the system is in good shape? I'm at the 2yr mark and have a clear waterpump cover to install...

I look for bits coming out as the coolant drains. Check the clamps and the condition of the hoses. Another good indicator is how the bottom of the expansion bottle. When I change the coolant I look for debris in there and fill the bottle with Simple Green and let it soak for an hour or two.

My '89 with almost 80,000 miles had original hoses before I sold it. I used to use the Honda coolant and always had bits but that cleared up gradually after switching to the Toyota stuff. Here's my maintenance check list. Some people are anal about keeping bike clean...I'm anal about maintenance lol.

Attachments

• 1999 Vmax_maintenance.xls
    19 KB · Views: 44
I look for bits coming out as the coolant drains. Check the clamps and the condition of the hoses. Another good indicator is how the bottom of the expansion bottle. When I change the coolant I look for debris in there and fill the bottle with Simple Green and let it soak for an hour or two.

My '89 with almost 80,000 miles had original hoses before I sold it. I used to use the Honda coolant and always had bits but that cleared up gradually after switching to the Toyota stuff. Here's my maintenance check list. Some people are anal about keeping bike clean...I'm anal about maintenance lol.

Thnx mark. Can't open the file on my phone but will when I get home. Ill take a look when flushing it to see what comes out. Once the fluid is drained swapping the pump cover should be as easy as removing those 6 allenheads ya?

Yep, really easy. Just keep track of the bolts. If I remember right, two are shorter in length. Sean or someone else can confirm.

Yep, really easy. Just keep track of the bolts. If I remember right, two are shorter in length. Sean or someone else can confirm.

I always do the cardboard cutout with those bolts.. it'd be so nice if every cover had a groove and o-ring eh?

i wonder if you can get custom viton o-rings made? that'd be bad ass huh? get someone to machine up say an order of 10 sets of covers (not sure how u'd do the stator, but could do clutch, middle gear, oil pan, etc) with a grove in them. then get the custom viton o-rings made...

Hi folks:

What type of vinegar should be used to do this? (I've never done it before and want to make sure I do it right.)

Thanks.

Elimax

Hi folks:

What type of vinegar should be used to do this? (I've never done it before and want to make sure I do it right.)

Thanks.

Elimax

Vinegar can damage rubber parts if left in the system for a day or so and is useless if you drain it immediately its not a coffee maker, flushing with clean water is all what you need to do then use 50/50 Toyota red coolant & distilled water. make sure you have no leaks & the radiator cap is clean, not sticking with rubber in good condition.

3 different sizes of bolts. 2 shortest ones go on the bottom of the cover and bolt the cover to the waterpump, 3 long ones go through the cover and waterpump into the crankcase, and 3 (med) length ones go through the waterpump to the crankcase. No way to screw it up man... buy new O'rings for the elbow :bang head: and if you replace the crush washers, the drain plug will take one.

If my radiator ever builds crud in it, I'm going to the radiator shop with it. I am very particular when it comes to exposing the head gaskets to any type of flush. just my thoughts........

When switching to a different type of coolant make sure all the old coolant is gone, mixing a small amount of coolant (green and red) can make an acid, so beware.

If my radiator ever builds crud in it, I'm going to the radiator shop with it. I am very particular when it comes to exposing the head gaskets to any type of flush. just my thoughts........

+1 Last v-max radiator I brought in was cleaned and pressure tested, $65.

I flush with water and change coolant every two years, the temp gauge needle just touches the bottom of the 3:00 o'clock rivet...if it ever starts creeping up this radiator will go in too.

We saved a buddys rad on a CR 125 by removing it, plugging one side, filling it with CLR and letting it sit for a couple days. Ended up looking like new inside. You need to leave one side open as that stuff fizzes a great deal.

I wasn't aware vinegar was strong enough but I guess it would be come to think of it...

Changing your coolant every couple years is preferable obviously

Back