Ran it up to 115mph, and ...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading through this post, and noticed that people believe that there is always a serious problem with their Vmax, when it wobbles at speed. People always tell other people, that they need fork/frame braces and other mods, when more than likely, it is something as simple as a missing wheel weight.

I was reading through this post, and noticed that people believe that there is always a serious problem with their Vmax, when it wobbles at speed. People always tell other people, that they need fork/frame braces and other mods, when more than likely, it is something as simple as a missing wheel weight.

Don't "rush" to judgement.

I don't have any wheel weights and I've been quite a bit higher than 115mph with ZERO wobbles...

When you come into a high speed wobble you want to get the weight off the front, Its disaster if you hit the brakes during a high speed wobble. You want to whack the gas and get the weight off.
Yes, this is the most correct answer. It's taught in road race schools, most riding technique books and even a lot of my chassis/suspension books.

This means time to trade in on a Kawasaki ZX14. The only thing your thinking about when you run a zx14 up to 115 is "maybe I will shift to second gear now" LOL!

Mine old 85 was the same way and I tried EVERYTHING. I just stopped going that fast cause it was too dangerous.

I would love a ZX14.

I too have stopped going fast for the same reason. Well, I still let the bike go from like 0-90 or so but I don't push it further.

When I can do some more work, I'd like to test it but again, it's dangerous.

Yes, this is the most correct answer. It's taught in road race schools, most riding technique books and even a lot of my chassis/suspension books.

the problem we're having here boys, is that the wobble is happening when we're already full throttle.

Attachments

• planenosein.jpg
    planenosein.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 27
Whenever I get wobble I just slowly let off the gas and let the engine slow the bike down. I'd heard from several people that applying brake, namely the front one is just asking for disaster.

Seems like there isn't a part of the bike that can cause wobble. Seems that the head bearings are a common reason on Max's, but anything from bad/cupped tires, poor balancing, suspension setup, wheel bearings, ect can induce wobble. Tough to pinpoint exactly what might be causing it, or maybe a combo of a few things.

I did notice that wobble is more noticeable/appears at lower speeds when the tires are even a couple psi low. I usually check them at least once a week (I know, I should before every ride), and putting them back to the specified pressure usually helps.

I know for a fact when I had the factory sissy bar on and I was riding alone it would start a weave from the wind coming around me and pressing on the pad. Once removed it went away. I removed the grab bar and reinstalled the sissy one day for shits and grins and sure enough it came back just like before at around 110-115 MPH.

I know for a fact when I had the factory sissy bar on and I was riding alone it would start a weave from the wind coming around me and pressing on the pad. Once removed it went away. I removed the grab bar and reinstalled the sissy one day for shits and grins and sure enough it came back just like before at around 110-115 MPH.

Note to self: Riding wife or kids- Sissybar
Riding with guys on the forum- Grab bar :rofl_200:

Whenever I get wobble I just slowly let off the gas and let the engine slow the bike down. I'd heard from several people that applying brake, namely the front one is just asking for disaster.

Seems like there isn't a part of the bike that can cause wobble. Seems that the head bearings are a common reason on Max's, but anything from bad/cupped tires, poor balancing, suspension setup, wheel bearings, ect can induce wobble. Tough to pinpoint exactly what might be causing it, or maybe a combo of a few things.

I did notice that wobble is more noticeable/appears at lower speeds when the tires are even a couple psi low. I usually check them at least once a week (I know, I should before every ride), and putting them back to the specified pressure usually helps.

yea i did EVERYTHING to try to fix mine. damper pretty much fixed it but honestly i always saw a bit of runout on my front tire. didn't think much of it but when i replaced it with another one, all wobble went away.

thats scary. something so stupid.

Note to self: Riding wife or kids- Sissybar
Riding with guys on the forum- Grab bar :rofl_200:

the grab bar/sissybar package is a pain to take on and off on a whim. however, u should see if u can find a virago grab bar that would fit in the backrests place so it looks somewhat stock. jeff has a thread on it somewhere

did you get my PM?

+1 on the Virago grab bar.. Love it when its on the bike.
Taking the Stock Grab rail and Sissy bar on and off just plain sucks. Wanted something middle of the Road. Yes Jeff is the man..He tipped me off on this and sold me the package, He may still have some left.

NewSeat003.jpg

i almost bought one on ebay to sell with the sissybar but it was $50 and didn't think it was worth it.

they pop up on ebay every once in a while too.

Of course it starts that gentle weave/wobble. This time, I got brave and latched onto the bars real good and exerted quite a bit of forward pressure (instead of pulling equally backwards with both hands or just trying to grip the bars tighter, I pushed forwards equally with both hands). This did something because the wobble immediately stopped. I was out of safe pavement at that point or I would have pushed the bike faster.....

That technique used as a method to go even faster and especially the furthering that technique by continuing to push through the weave in hopes that it will go away a at a higher speed...could kill you....

Some of the suggestions for dealing with a weave and getting back down from it are very good but using those methods to "push through it" to achieve an even higher speed are insane...

Fix the problem, never try to "ride through it" or your little weave takes a hike from the rear of your bike to the front and you could end up with a full blown tank slapper on your hands at a 130 + mph.

I survived one of these at 140mph on a V65 by trying to do what these folks are advising and luckily lived through it after 1 month in the hospital...I knew full well where, at what speed and how to back down from the vicious weave that bike had, but was too young and stupid to know how to fix it much less even want to fix it, I was just dealing with it.....Then one day I got the bright idea of trying to push through it and see if it would go away......bad move on my part....once your in a tank slapper there is no recovery.....

BTW, had I not had a helmet on that day I would be dead, 13 separate impacts to my helmet from the concrete road, Beltway 8 LTollbridge in Houston over the ship channell.

That technique used as a method to go even faster and especially the furthering that technique by continuing to push through the weave in hopes that it will go away a at a higher speed...could kill you....

Some of the suggestions for dealing with a weave and getting back down from it are very good but using those methods to "push through it" to achieve an even higher speed are insane...

Fix the problem, never try to "ride through it" or your little weave takes a hike from the rear of your bike to the front and you could end up with a full blown tank slapper on your hands at a 130 + mph.

I survived one of these at 140mph on a V65 by trying to do what these folks are advising and luckily lived through it after 1 month in the hospital...I knew full well where, at what speed and how to back down from the vicious weave that bike had, but was too young and stupid to know how to fix it much less even want to fix it, I was just dealing with it.....Then one day I got the bright idea of trying to push through it and see if it would go away......bad move on my part....once your in a tank slapper there is no recovery.....

BTW, had I not had a helmet on that day I would be dead, 13 separate impacts to my helmet from the concrete road, Beltway 8 LTollbridge in Houston over the ship channell.

That's why I reported earlier that I don't push it anymore.

I totally agree with you, and tank slappers do kill people. I think it's absolutely correct and worthwhile to discuss this problem on motorcycles in general but especially on the V-Max so that everyone can learn prior to having to suffer as you did.

So, is this the general consensus from the board? I've yet (knock on wood) to experience one of these, but this seems reasonable. Let off the gas, relax your grip (to not transfer any more of the wobble to the back of the bike via your body), and try and ride it out?

engine decel and try not to fight it too much is what i heard.

"the grab bar/sissybar package is a pain to take on and off on a whim. however, u should see if u can find a virago grab bar that would fit in the backrests place so it looks somewhat stock. jeff has a thread on it somewhere"
I have a factory grab bar AND a factory looking sissy bar that is removable made from Ricepaddy.com.
The point I was trying to make was with just the grab bar the bike was smooth over 110, but with the sissy bar installed it starts to sway causing a front end wobble at the same speed.

Make fun of me...go ahead! Poke a stick at the crazy guy with club foot and missing teeth. I know where you all live! You should be ashamed.

Attachments

• Picture n033.jpg
    Picture n033.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 27
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 29
So, is this the general consensus from the board? I've yet (knock on wood) to experience one of these, but this seems reasonable. Let off the gas, relax your grip (to not transfer any more of the wobble to the back of the bike via your body), and try and ride it out?
I had a high speed wobble on a kz 650 going between 80 and 90 mph. I agree with jayhawks statement, but relaxing your grip is a bit misleading. You cannot steer out of it. The bike has to correct itself. I guess I would say to relax your arms, but I can honestly say i had a white knuckle grip on the bars.:eek:

This may or may not be the solution for the problem, but so far it's looking good. When I replaced my front tire, I accidentally ordered a 120/90 instead of the stock 110/90. When it came, I wasn't sure it would fit under the fender, but I tried and it does fit, and lo and behold, when I rode the bike it is much more stable, and no sign of wobble at any speed I've hit yet (up to 125).

Not to bring this thread from the dead, but there is some really good information here. I got the wobbles at 110 today. I was WOT and didn't check my speed until I got it. I was testing my clutch in 5th :)

I didn't touch the brake...I've learned that usually spells disaster for most things. Just slowly eased the throttle back down and it straightened out with no problems. I'll admit....it scared the crap out of me when it happened - but I kept cool and slowed down. I haven't had that happen on other bikes I've ridden.

So from what I'm reading tires could be a good try? I'm going to need some new ones anyway. So I'll give this a try. Any recommendations?

Back