Rear axle lengths

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Anyone out there have one of the "old style" axles that they could give me an accurate measurement from? By old style, I'm talking the one that has a hole drilled trough it for a cotter pin and uses a castellated nut.

I'm putting a metal plate and some spacers on the end of my axle so could use some extra room. I hear the old style is a bit longer than the new style but would like to confirm that before I spend any money.

If I could get an overall measurement and a measurement for just the threaded portiong that would be very helpful.

If I remember correctly it's about 3/16" longer but I can't remember if that's due to the differential difference or the axle difference. I probably won't remember but i'll look when I get to the shop.

Sean

E. 96-07 Differential machined to accept shorter axle. Bears a surface to mount speedometer in housing. - this speedo pickup is seen on the Royal Star rear diffs (which bolts on and is 10% lower gear ratio). Would require leaving the pickup unit bolted in place. 86-93 Venture rear diffs are a direct interchange but the shock mount needs to be swapped over (or a new mount purchased and added to the Venture diff)

i can get a measurement for you tonight mike if you shoot me a text i think i still have one laying around from morley that i have to return

Anyone out there have one of the "old style" axles that they could give me an accurate measurement from? By old style, I'm talking the one that has a hole drilled trough it for a cotter pin and uses a castellated nut.

I'm putting a metal plate and some spacers on the end of my axle so could use some extra room. I hear the old style is a bit longer than the new style but would like to confirm that before I spend any money.

If I could get an overall measurement and a measurement for just the threaded portiong that would be very helpful.

Its yar lucky day cuz I was manage to get the old style in my hands.
Exactly 15mm's longer.

This is interesting because I was justing looking at my 88 and 92 and noticed that the 92s axle is a little longer that the 88s. It is long enough that the cotter pin doesn't catch notches in the nut. That is interesting. The bike has been worked on enough that I'm sure the axle isn't stock. Do you guys know what years the shorter axle is used on?

As Dave posted, it is 96-07 that have the shorter axle. The shorter ones do not have a hole for the cotter pin. The axle uses a locking nut instead of a castle nut.

As Dave posted, it is 96-07 that have the shorter axle. The shorter ones do not have a hole for the cotter pin. The axle uses a locking nut instead of a castle nut.

Wierd, both my axles are cross drilled for the cotter pin but one seems longer. Both wheels have the same washers and everything, but on one the nut gets 3/16" tighter. Oh well, I'll figure it out.
Thanks

Back