Rear fender for 85

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
Howdy again,

After so many owners who used a lot of paint and sandpaper, the rear fender on my bike is in bad shape. Does anyone have one in good shape they would let go of?

If you want the stock color order one through Yamaha it will already be painted,its probabley not that bad price wise.

~$145 for new rear OEM fender. I'm sure someone who has done mods to the rear of their bike would have the old fender? Ebay has front and rear inner fenders right now but not the rear outer fender.

How does one strip paint from plastic without damaging the plastic? Even if I can strip the paint, there are sandpaper scratches that would be hard to deal with. I don't want to remove too much material to get rid of the scratches, yet some removal is necessary, even despite using a good primer.

Well with patience, you can start with a course sanding and work down to a fine sanding, then even wet sanding to get all the scratches out then reprime it and then repaint it.
I don't have the patience for it, but I have seen the work others have done and it looks like new if you pay attention to detail and take your time and do it right.
Or you can be like me and Pay someone who has the patience to do it right.

I'm in the process of doing this on my aluminum parts right now.

I have done the body/paint work on all of my bikes, but trying to fix other people's plastic-related mistakes really sucks. I'll keep my eyes peeled and will begin work on my existing fenders in the meantime.

Please take some pics of your progress and post them. I, for one, would love to see how this turns out!

~$145 for new rear OEM fender. I'm sure someone who has done mods to the rear of their bike would have the old fender? Ebay has front and rear inner fenders right now but not the rear outer fender.

How does one strip paint from plastic without damaging the plastic? Even if I can strip the paint, there are sandpaper scratches that would be hard to deal with. I don't want to remove too much material to get rid of the scratches, yet some removal is necessary, even despite using a good primer.

$145 for a painted rear fender is nothing ! the paint will cost you more then that.

$145 for a painted rear fender is nothing ! the paint will cost you more then that.

I already have paint, paint gun, etc.

I was reading up on plastic paint stripping chemicals today in addition to bondo remover. This bike has been a mess. The PO put putty over the recessed Yamaha logos in the air scoops and then applied a #@$!tty paint job. I've already stripped paint off of the grab bar, side panels, air scoops, faux tank, handlebars, bar clamp, etc.

I hate working on plastic....... :-(

Latest posts

Back