Rear heat shield fitment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmax1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I was putting my engine back in my 85 Vmax ( it has been a couple of months had trans done) and I cannot get the rear heat shield in properly. I remember it as being bolted to the rear pipes. Do I really need the heat shield? Can I just wrap the exhaust pipes with a heat wrap. Or can I just put some heat protective material on the battery box? Any ideas or comments.:confused2:

Plenty of vmax are running around without a heat shield. If you put on aftermarket pipes, there is nowhere to bolt it on anymore.

It will be fine without it . No need to worry about header wrap or heat tape on the battery box

It keeps motor heat off the battery.
It sure keeps your battery cooler- that's what it is for.
I would put it back on if i were you. Batteries getting hot is not good.
Pictures for bolts below- i even cut a rear heat shield and put it on the front to help keep the cops cooler.
Top bolts to the heat shield bottom bolts to the pipe.

Attachments

• CIMG0802.jpg
    CIMG0802.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 50
  • CIMG0804.jpg
    CIMG0804.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 46
I would leave it in place. Loosen the rear manifolds V clamps and the covers so you can wiggle the plate into place. The covers need a 4mm Allen and the V clamps a 5mm one. The plate uses 2 bolts to the covers on top and one bolt to the right pipe below. Make sure you tighten everything up properly or you may get an exhaust leak.

I would leave it in place. Loosen the rear manifolds V clamps and the covers so you can wiggle the plate into place. The covers need a 4mm Allen and the V clamps a 5mm one. The plate uses 2 bolts to the covers on top and one bolt to the right pipe below. Make sure you tighten everything up properly or you may get an exhaust leak.

He has them on already- why would you loosen anything that would make you have a leak? Bolt it on the bottom and loosen the heat shield on top.

Try to leave it in place if you can. I've been running aftermarket pipes for over a year now with no issues.....so it's really up to you.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

One factor that will affect battery life is heat so reducing this would seem a prudent action to fit it if possible.

Additionally the fuel pump and lines are adjacent to the headers which could cause issues when standing in high ambient temperature.
Where I live this isn't normally an issue but on the odd occasion when it's been hot and I've been in traffic the bike was not happy until back on the open road. I have aftermarket pipes so no heat-shield.
I've taken steps to shield the battery though.

He has them on already- why would you loosen anything that would make you have a leak? Bolt it on the bottom and loosen the heat shield on top.

He mentioned that he is trying to put it back in or did I read wrong? I'm almost sure it won't fit without moving rear pipes a bit as everything bolts together, pipes, covers and plate. I just did it a month ago and I put the plate in before getting the swingarm in and rear headers which makes it much easier.

I never knew mine was supposed to have one until I met another Vmax rider who had it in place. In fact I had met a dozen or so other Vmaxers before I met one that still had it on. I personally have not had any issues with it being absent.

He mentioned that he is trying to put it back in or did I read wrong? I'm almost sure it won't fit without moving rear pipes a bit as everything bolts together, pipes, covers and plate. I just did it a month ago and I put the plate in before getting the swingarm in and rear headers which makes it much easier.

He has them on already was the first thing i wrote.
I sent him pics with the description and i myself did not have to move the rear pipe if you bolt there first.Only loosen the heat shield for the exhaust on top. This way no chance for exhaust leaks.

I have been running them for years with no heat shields as previously mentioned there is no place for it with aftermarket pipes. I do run sealed batteries cant say if it helps any or not. If fact I run with out the plastic heat shields on the motor to. I guess to each there own maybe mine are fine because I baby my bikes.:biglaugh:

I have been running them for years with no heat shields as previously mentioned there is no place for it with aftermarket pipes. I do run sealed batteries cant say if it helps any or not. If fact I run with out the plastic heat shields on the motor to. I guess to each there own maybe mine are fine because I baby my bikes.:biglaugh:

I like my fuel to be as cool as it can be too.

Back