remove swingarm bearings for powdercoat?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
if i'm going to powdercoat my swingarm, can i just pop the bearings out and leave the races in and just buy some new oil seals and pop the bearings back in when done with the seals? or is it a good idea to remove races and buy all new bearings. i wanna do it right but if its not gonna affect the races I won't bother spending extra $$.

Should be able to leave the race in and plug the ends to keep the tube free from powder. Clean and regrease with heavy water proof grease and reasemble.

if i'm going to powdercoat my swingarm, can i just pop the bearings out and leave the races in and just buy some new oil seals and pop the bearings back in when done with the seals? or is it a good idea to remove races and buy all new bearings. i wanna do it right but if its not gonna affect the races I won't bother spending extra $$.

I would replace everything while it's down for powder coating.

The bearings in mine weren't even in very tight, if I remember correctly they aren't "race type"bearings, One is a needle type and the other is a sealed roller bearing, I'd take 'em out for sure, and replace 'em when you go back together, even tho' they aren't really a high wear item.......be sure to tell the powder coat people not to paint that area, or better yet tape it off yourself...

Both are race type and our coater here blasts that area clean which ruins the race. If you can get all the grease out and ensure they don't blast the race you should be able to leave them in.
Sean

thanks guys. i'll see if he can tape off that area and not blast 'em. they only have 10k miles on 'em. if not, then i'll be calling you to place an order, sean.

Also, what finish is on the swingarm/pumpkin/lower triple from the factory? is that a gray paint that is clear coated? The pumpkin is aluminum and swingarm is steel?

It's a paint I am pretty sure that was baked on. pumpkin is aluminum and the arm is indeed steel.

Sean

thnx sean. if you don't mind, what do u charge to typically p/c the swingarm and paint the pumpkin? wondering if i'm getting a good deal.

Swingarm is usually around $75-$100 and pumpkin paint is $50 if we are doing some other paint work at the same time (not necessarily your stuff).

Sean

oh wow, definitely found some good deals out here then. found one guy that is about 2 miles away, well known in the area. found another custom bike shop about 10 miles away that might be able to do all the work.

thanks again sean. you'd be doing the work but until you set up a NorthEast morley satellite office i guess i'm SOL

Just as an FYI the factory swingarm color should match up very well with 1985 Cadillac silver. The swingarm and pumpkin (I think) are both painted and clear coated. The triples though, should be bare aluminum with clear coat.

Just as an FYI the factory swingarm color should match up very well with 1985 Cadillac silver. The swingarm and pumpkin (I think) are both painted and clear coated. The triples though, should be bare aluminum with clear coat.

thanks man. getting the pumpkin and triple sprayed black. the swingarm is getting powdercoated.

when painting the rear diff, the overflow valve up top there, do you have to basically ensure that paint doesn't get in the lip between the case and the nub? or doesn't it matter?

You don't want it to seal the entire surface of the lip but you aren't likely going to do that unless the paint is so think it runs. The vent hole in the inner plug is about a 1/16" so there is plenty of vent surface there.

Sean

for those who have powdercoated the rear brake arm (the one the caliper mounts to, not the stay arm), i am having them not powdercoat the inside mounting flanges, should i also have them not powder the machined sides of where the axle goes through and it rests agaisn the washer and rim and the one where the stay arm attaches to?

i think i'm going to have them powdercoat it all for now. i'm trying to keep the bearing races in and re-use them & the bearings for now, if i do, should i replace the grease seals , or are they ok to reuse?

If you can get them out without damage there is no reason you can't reuse them.

Sean

Latest posts

Back