Removing bar ends???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidwin

Reaction score
I want to put new grips on the bike but I don't see how I can take the bar ends off.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Sid

I just removed mine yesterday. Per recommendations from this forum, I used a strap wrench on them. Twisted right out. Later, went right back in without a problem. It's also recommended that you can wrap the end caps with a cloth / rag and gently use a channel lock wrench also.

yea just pull like hell (as long as their stock!)

make 10 wraps around them with black tape & then twist them out with channel locks !

well that didn't go too well. destroyed one.... i guess it is time for bar end mirrors :)

i was wondering when i put the new grips on do i glue them? i had a set of kuryakyn and they came with special glue when i installed them.

Thanks,
Sid

Strap wrench and as an added protection to not scratch them up I took a strip of duck tape and wrapped it around like Tim mentioned.

i was wondering when i put the new grips on do i glue them? i had a set of kuryakyn and they came with special glue when i installed them.

Thanks,
Sid

I did some searching on this topic and there are mixed reviews on the Kuryakyn grip glue. It is essentially just a cyanoacrylite (sp?) type glue (crazy glue). Some say that they have had the glue set up too fast and glue the grip half way on.

I need to install my new set of ISO grips and I think I am going to do the hockey tape thing. Wrap the bar in hockey tape to ensure that the grip will seat tight. Spray the tape with alcohol to soften the adhesive and make it slippery. Slide the grip on and wait till the next morning. The grips should be nice and tight.
You can remove them without destroying them by spraying some alcohol under the rubber and working it around with a small flat blade screwdriver.

DO NOT use the hairspray method! If you get water under the grip, it will get loose on you....possibly while riding.

great i live in New Orleans were we are definitely not known for hockey ;) I noticed the stock setup has glue on there. I wonder what type and can i get that locally?

thanks,
sid

I must say I've never found the need for glue when I changed mine - not in the UK, nor in Florida. Those things seem to always be so bloody tight they need a rubber mallet to get on all the way, and then won't budge.

However, if you really fancy some glue, all motorcycle stealers or accessory shops usually have little tubes of 'grips glue' specially formulated for just this job!

Latest posts

Back