Reworked electrical schematic

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingy

Reaction score
Below is a link to a PDF file for the 12N (85-89) VMAX Wiring diagrams. About 1.6 meg in size.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=2&id=67

This has been redrawn from Yamaha's schematics in a format that I hope you will find easier to follow.

I put it in this forum to get some opinions on it cause it seems like the most viewed forum here.

The first page in the PDF is the complete wiring schematic showing all the connectors.

The second page is the same schematic electrically, but without the connectors shown. This makes it much easier to lay out the wires and not have to route them all over.

The third page shows the starting circuits in three configurations. Only the components involved in each configuration is shown, so as to simplify the circuit.

A couple of the obvious errors (IMO) have been corrected on these. 1st is the coil supply wire colors & 2nd is the pick up coil wiring/colors.

I am looking for some feed back from you guys to see if this format would be helpful/used by you. I have done all the Ventures in the same format and it is used a lot.

One of the little quirks on the schematic is the use of PUSH/PULL/FREE designation on some of the switch diagrams. FREE means as the switch position when there is no pressure on switch plunger/actuator. PULL relates to the rear brake switch only, when brake is depressed, the switch plunger is pulled out. PUSH relates to the two front levers, when lever is pulled in, the switch plunger is free in housing. Its is pushed when lever is at rest. Similar with horn & start switches.

I need to know if there are any errors that anyone can find.

To carry on with this I will need some high quality scans of the other model year variations that exist.

As most of you know I am a Venture owner, so my interpretation of a VMax schematic may be slightly off. But I do have about 15 years engineering background as a signal system designer for railroads, so I do have some training to do this.

These PDF's can be taken to an office supply store like Kinkos or Staples and they can print an 11" x 17" copy for a couple of dollars. A lot easier to read than what is in the manuals.

Gary

Last edited:
Gary,

I'm workin on my netbook. I can't really study the drawings as well as on my desktop but they look great to me.... Lots of work... Thanks....

Dave

Profesinally made Dingy! :clapping:

I usualy dont have any problems with schematics at any stage, thus Im electrican so I dont count!
Most defo its an improvment and something fresh - Ill try to find some time to inspect Your schematic!

Excellent work - well done and thank you.

Er, will you be doing a similar execise for the later models?,
..... Please?

Nice job, I do tons of Protection and control work (utility) so realize how much work you must have put into this....

Good job on the wiring color corrections....

Also, I don't know if yamaha has EVER issued an updated diagram for the single pickup models or associated TCI wiring changes???

Rusty, they did update it as an appendix but not sure when. I have two manuals that are separate releases and they both have the late model circuit diagram.

Rusty, they did update it as an appendix but not sure when. I have two manuals that are separate releases and they both have the late model circuit diagram.

Would you have any means of scanning the electrical schematic?

Also the circuit diagram, as they call it. Picture of the 12N version attached below.

I need it to be high enough resolution that I can make out the wire colors.

Gary

Attachments

• 12n 83-85 circuit diagram.jpg
    12n 83-85 circuit diagram.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 30
Excellent work - well done and thank you.
Er, will you be doing a similar execise for the later models?,
..... Please?

Ditto the above!
Soooo much easier to follow than the Clymer schematics - and besides, I've modified and added so many circuits to my '03, that the penciled-in newbies on the wiring page are now overlapping, as well as fading.
If you were to provide a diagram for later models, I (or anyone else)could put changes directly onto the .pdf, providing it was not "write protected"
Am I right about this, computer-savvy readers?
Cheers, Miles

These schematics are created in AutoCAD 2009 and I will make the DWG files available to anyone that wants them. I can also make a DXF available to.

PM me with an email address if you want files.

The PDF files are not protected.

Gary

Went to cnet and got a free cad download.....Luv it, what detail and reading is much better on the eyes. thanks Dingy

Just found an error on this schematic. On the 1st sheet, the front brake switch has the Free/Push text inverted.

I will wait till I get some feedback from people before I post a revision.

Gary

Hey Gary , My name is Gent, Im a new member with an old bike. I found an 85 Vmax basket case and have so far completely rebuilt the motor, brakes and fuel system. Time came to fire it up and were it had spark there is none, I have a factory Yamaha manual with a wiring diagram no were near as clear and understandable as your schematic. Thank you and I appreciate your experience from Railroader to the Vmax, to great and powerful machines.

Back