RICOR instructions needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to "Firefly," I finally got my RICOR's as opposed to the Gold Valve Emulators.

Without searching through many threads:
  • what is the static sag I should be using, which I think is the distance above the open downtube the spacer should be portruding, (the spacer in the factory exploded diagram is #9, collar) and
  • what oil level should the measurement be, measured from the top of the open downtube, to the oil level, with the damper rod in, but the RICOR and fork spring out, and the slider pushed-up as far as it will go on the downtube?
Thanks to anyone who replies. I have the 1993+ front forks on my 1992; the 1992 oil measurement is volume, 15.3 fluid ounces, USA, and 10 wt. oil. I see where RICOR recommends 5 wt.
FYI, I found adjustable preload fork downtube caps on a Japanese site, sized for 43 mm tubes. I forget what the price was, probably in yen anyways. People were asking about them recently.

Addendum:
I read the sticky & saw 21 oz (20.9) is recommended, 4.8 " down from the top of the downtube, 15 wt oil.

Should I just cut a length of PVC to the stock length minus the height of the RICOR's?

Thanks to "Firefly," I finally got my RICOR's as opposed to the Gold Valve Emulators.

Without searching through many threads:
  • what is the static sag I should be using, which I think is the distance above the open downtube the spacer should be portruding, (the spacer in the factory exploded diagram is #9, collar) and
  • what oil level should the measurement be, measured from the top of the open downtube, to the oil level, with the damper rod in, but the RICOR and fork spring out, and the slider pushed-up as far as it will go on the downtube?
Thanks to anyone who replies. I have the 1993+ front forks on my 1992; the 1992 oil measurement is volume, 15.3 fluid ounces, USA, and 10 wt. oil. I see where RICOR recommends 5 wt.
FYI, I found adjustable preload fork downtube caps on a Japanese site, sized for 43 mm tubes. I forget what the price was, probably in yen anyways. People were asking about them recently.

Addendum:
I read the sticky & saw 21 oz (20.9) is recommended, 4.8 " down from the top of the downtube, 15 wt oil.

Should I just cut a length of PVC to the stock length minus the height of the RICOR's?

The fork seals & damping rod have to be intalled before putting any oil.

1- A stock 43 mm fork actually has 128 mm total travel the rest is taken by the top off spring that is located on the damper rod (a one inch spring)

2- Oil level is measured with fork fully compressed with no spring or ricor in.
in ricor wrong instructions they say fill with oil till the top of the damping rod then push the ricore in, this will make oil level measuring way off and its very hard to pull ricor out of the fork tube again so ignore their stupid instructions on this.

3- oil level with fully compressed fork should be 130 to 140 mm as per race tech, you should extend & compress the fork several times to get all the air out & remeasure the oil level.
Wet ricore with fork oil and push it down with either the spring or the spacer until it bottoms at the top of the damper rod, it will take some pushing & will descend slowly so take your time.

4- With oil level set correctly & ricore sitting on the top of the damping rod now put the spring & extend the fork completely, drop in the washer then put a one inch (ID) schedule 40 PVC pipe, mark it level with the top of the fork tube, remove the PVC pipe and cut it with a tube cutter 1/4th of an inch below the mark you made, the higher the spacer is the much stiffer the fork gets, I remember Sean's vid clip says above the top of the tube, not with ricor it will be very very stiff.

5- Oil Ricor recommends is 5wt stick with that any thicker will make the forks tooooo stiff to compress.

Recore is very different than Racetech:
Ricor is a piston that creates stiction going up or down together with the shim to restricts the up & down movement, on the other hand racetech is not a piston & drops in the fork tube loosely, it is held by the spring as ricor, racetech shims do all the work to control compression, in the case of ricor its the piston + the shims.

6- on my 03 43 mm forks it didn't need an impact gun to loosen the bottom Allan bolt & I found that even without the top cap and spring pressure I could tighten the Allan bolt sufficiently so it does not leak before I put the top cap on. The final tightening of the top cap is done after you install the forks in the triple & tighten them, also put the fork brace on and tighten it then tighten the bottom Allan bolds to specs.

7- The static sag should be 1/3rd the total fork travel, this is important to have it correct so the forks can READ road irregularities

In general I found that ricor tends to be stiffer then racetech GV due to it being a piston.

I hope that helps

When I fitted my Intimators to my '86, I already had Progressive fork springs, and used 5W oil as recommended by Ricor.

I tried first by not cutting the spacers down at all, and really liked the way it felt so left them uncut. I guess that added to the preload quite a bit, but my front end finally felt so good I was very happy.

Yamaha Service Manual lists oil level at 123mm from the top of inner fork tube when fully compressed without spring, and oil capacity per fork tube of 619 cm3/20.9 USoz for the '93 onwards forks.

Hope this helps.

Thank-you guys, I am jazzed-up about the rebuilt engine & other mods, this included. I will do a write-up once I am up & running. Still have to paint the engine before installation.

When I fitted my Intimators to my '86, I already had Progressive fork springs, and used 5W oil as recommended by Ricor.

I tried first by not cutting the spacers down at all, and really liked the way it felt so left them uncut. I guess that added to the preload quite a bit, but my front end finally felt so good I was very happy.

Yamaha Service Manual lists oil level at 123mm from the top of inner fork tube when fully compressed without spring, and oil capacity per fork tube of 619 cm3/20.9 USoz for the '93 onwards forks.

Hope this helps.

Same setup than yours but with 7.5W, I find it a bit to stiff.
It doesn't damper well the road's defects. I felt better with the progressive only and some 15W.

I still need to check the spacer length, I'm sure it has been reduced to lower the front a bit. I'm planning to put some 5W since I finally found some and will look at the spacer length.

The stiff feeling is nice when roads are good tho (50% of the time here), I just hope I can find a compromise somewhere.

Same setup than yours but with 7.5W, I find it a bit to stiff.
It doesn't damper well the road's defects. I felt better with the progressive only and some 15W.

I still need to check the spacer length, I'm sure it has been reduced to lower the front a bit. I'm planning to put some 5W since I finally found some and will look at the spacer length.

The stiff feeling is nice when roads are good tho (50% of the time here), I just hope I can find a compromise somewhere.

I would remove the piston ring off ricore & use 5 wt oil, the plastic piston ring causes a lot of stiction & that's why the ricore feels stiff & doesn't respond well to small road irregularities, this will make it read road irregularities much better. also progressive springs don't have enough travel to be progressive, if the sag is set at 1/3rd of total fork travel that takes all the progression out & leaves you with a stiff spring.

Last edited:
Concerning the sag what you think should be the way?
I was wondering if removing the ring won't reduce too much the effect of the valve knowing the oil is already so thin.

I was planning just to follow progressive instructions, going to 5w and reducing the spacer by the size of the ricor valve.

The stiffness I inherited came from a wrong setup, I'm almost sure about it but I'm never set up the fork myself.

I was planning to bring the bike to a local shop and give them instructions since they won't be familiar with the setup.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Concerning the sag what you think should be the way?
I was wondering if removing the ring won't reduce too much the effect of the valve knowing the oil is already so thin.

I was planning just to follow progressive instructions, going to 5w and reducing the spacer by the size of the ricor valve.

The stiffness I inherited came from a wrong setup, I'm almost sure about it but I'm never set up the fork myself.

I was planning to bring the bike to a local shop and give them instructions since they won't be familiar with the setup.

Do it yourself, we tend to put too much compression damping, ricore without the piston ring will work even better than racetech, just don't use thicker oil only 5 wt, progressive spring is already stiff, this combination will work great, I was going to try it but my engine seized so I have much bigger things to fix first.

I think you're on the right track Michael, that's what I would do - only I would do it myself not take it to any shop unless I knew and trusted the mechanic personally and was completely unable to do it myself for some reason.

I started to do more stuff myself but I usually need to see it once first :)
There might a sticky about the forks and will check the books, let's see. I'll try removing the ring and see too.
Thanks guys I Think it's clear so far :)

Beside the deep scratch I found on the tube, I think part of the issues I was getting was due to a too long spacer. Roughly I would say about 1 to 1.5 inches too long.
For sure it's not the original. Possible that somebody has been too lazy to cut it.

Latest posts

Back