Salvage title cars

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
My wife and i are looking to buy a Dodge Ram, so needless to say I have been scouring Craigslist and AutoTrader. I have noticed an influx of salvage-titled vehicles for sale out here. I came across one that seemed to be a good deal. Talked to the guy and found out that the truck was stolen by some illegals who tried to get across the border with it. He said that the damage was very minimal and it was branded salvage because owners insurance already had paid it off before it was recovered and the owner didn't want it back by that time.

I've always been leery of anything that wasn't a clean title, but this seems like it could be a good deal. My wife feels the same about the salvage title as well. I know it kills the resale value also.

Opinions?

They can give you ANY story, check very close, my concern would be flood damage. pull the carpets back, look under the dash =check fuse panle stuff like like that.

When I was looking for my truck I noticed a few salvage-titled ones in my area at local auction houses or salvage companies. Of course they were fabulous deals on paper...only 4 years old, 50k miles, supposedly super clean, and only $3500, when the "going rate" for a truck that new was in the $10-$11k range. Went to look at a couple and at least on the ones I saw, you get what you pay for.

One I'm pretty sure was a flood victim....interior had a weird moldy smell only partially disguised by lots of air fresheners. That didn't totally break the deal, but when I checked the oil and it was milky, not interested. Another looked to be a former company truck, and was pretty roughed up. Dents, scrapes, dings covered the entire thing. Said it had been in a "minor accident", and "professionally repaired". The look almost turned me off, but I didn't totally rule it out and drove it....drove like ass. Pulled to one side at low speeds, and had a faint but detectable shimmy at speed. Yep, it's been wrecked.

However, the marina where I work bought a '00 Silverado salvage. Thing had been crashed head on and totaled out. Got bought back from the insurance, sold to a local mechanic who completely re-did it. New motor, new front end, all new bodywork with fresh paint. Got it for cheap since it was a salvage title, but there's nothing wrong with it. Drives fine.

So I guess the moral of the story is just to tread carefully. Depending on how familiar you are with car mechanics maybe hire a tech to give it a once-over.

+1

We always check for waterlines under the dash on vehicles for at least a year after a flood anywhere in the SE.

Fresh water, not so bad - salt water = POISON :rip:

There's good deals out there to be had if your'e willing to assume some risk.

Just curious - why Dodge ?

I have been wanting a Ram for quite awhile, plus I like the way it sounds without a muffler. I know my reason for wanting a Dodge doesn't hold much merit, but that's my main reason. I like the way they look too compared to the 2003 or newer Chevy. The cateye front ends dont appeal to me.

I suppose whatever floats your boat.....

My old truck (93 F150 with a 351) actually came with one of those "cherry bomb" type mufflers in it. It sounded kinda cool when you hit the gas, but I got tired of it fast since I do a lot of highway driving. Got rid of it and put a generic regular replacement back in. Think I gave it away to someone.

We have a '02 Ram 2500 as one of the work trucks at the marina where I work. It only has about 15k miles on it, no kidding about half of those are in reverse. It came with a plow mount, and we made up a special brush guard/receiver, step/handle(so someone can ride to hook up boat trailers) that fit into the plow mount. Moving boats with the front of a truck is much easier and quicker, it also means the truck drives around backward most of the time. On one hand, it still runs great and has never failed to start, or given any problems as far as transmission/drivetrain are concerned, and believe me, this thing isn't treated lightly.

On the other hand, it's incredibly weak, considering it's a 5.9L "Magnum" V8. Garbage for low end torque. Nothing. Even a small boat (say 2500lbs) makes this thing crawl. Floored on every hill, and the transmission really needs a tow mode, since it will constantly "hunt" between 2,3, and 4. On even a very modest grade it instantly drops to 3rd, but is still slowing down. Foot to the floor, it drops to second, and will speed up to redline, forcing it into third, but the motor is too weak, so it slows down for 5-6 seconds, then drops to second again. Rinse and repeat until you're going downhill again. Plus it gets absolutely ass for mileage.....routinely get 8-9mpg, not towing. With a trailer and such having it floored virtually constantly(and still doing well under the speed limit), seen as bad as 5.

Remember, only 15k miles, well maintained, and no trouble codes thrown. Plus it's always been this weak, so I think the dodge 5.9 just sucks. Our 4.3 V6 Chevy has more pull than this thing.

Do you like this one, I could show and tell you more? Clean Title. It's one of a kind. I'll be selling it sometime soon. Under 50K miles.

Attachments

• marina.jpg
    marina.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 23
Thanx, kaboom. It's only baby steps from being a full blown show capable truck. It needs a good home, I have too many Toys.:biglaugh:

Attachments

• MVC-502F.JPG
    MVC-502F.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 11
  • MVC-076F.JPG
    MVC-076F.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 11
  • MVC-082F.JPG
    MVC-082F.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 10
Salvage title cars (unless you don't care about safety) should really be avoided... With all newer cars and their crumple zones, it's VERY hard (near impossible) to cost effectively get them back to where they were. Which means in the case of an accident your car could potentially kill you.

I'd pass on any "deals" if I were you.

Salvage title cars (unless you don't care about safety) should really be avoided... With all newer cars and their crumple zones, it's VERY hard (near impossible) to cost effectively get them back to where they were. Which means in the case of an accident your car could potentially kill you.

I'd pass on any "deals" if I were you.

x2. Body shops are in business to make money, so are insurance companies, when you look at a quote you'll see stuff like "quality replacement parts" it's an off shore part made to look like the original, but not %100, that would be patent infringement, also they are made of mild steel usually, not hsla (high strength low alloy) steel and there for not nearly as strong, and cost about half as much as the proper factory made part. so, avoid any thing that was fixed unless you can be %100 sure it was done properly. We got into a fender bender and took it for th estimate, they guy put stuff like that all over the quote, I threw back at him and said oem only, he still had stuff like body molding on it that was "quality replacement" I thew it back at him and again and by the time he was done the quote was almost double what the original with junk parts was.

I suppose whatever floats your boat.....

My old truck (93 F150 with a 351) actually came with one of those "cherry bomb" type mufflers in it. It sounded kinda cool when you hit the gas, but I got tired of it fast since I do a lot of highway driving. Got rid of it and put a generic regular replacement back in. Think I gave it away to someone.

We have a '02 Ram 2500 as one of the work trucks at the marina where I work. It only has about 15k miles on it, no kidding about half of those are in reverse. It came with a plow mount, and we made up a special brush guard/receiver, step/handle(so someone can ride to hook up boat trailers) that fit into the plow mount. Moving boats with the front of a truck is much easier and quicker, it also means the truck drives around backward most of the time. On one hand, it still runs great and has never failed to start, or given any problems as far as transmission/drivetrain are concerned, and believe me, this thing isn't treated lightly.

On the other hand, it's incredibly weak, considering it's a 5.9L "Magnum" V8. Garbage for low end torque. Nothing. Even a small boat (say 2500lbs) makes this thing crawl. Floored on every hill, and the transmission really needs a tow mode, since it will constantly "hunt" between 2,3, and 4. On even a very modest grade it instantly drops to 3rd, but is still slowing down. Foot to the floor, it drops to second, and will speed up to redline, forcing it into third, but the motor is too weak, so it slows down for 5-6 seconds, then drops to second again. Rinse and repeat until you're going downhill again. Plus it gets absolutely ass for mileage.....routinely get 8-9mpg, not towing. With a trailer and such having it floored virtually constantly(and still doing well under the speed limit), seen as bad as 5.

Remember, only 15k miles, well maintained, and no trouble codes thrown. Plus it's always been this weak, so I think the dodge 5.9 just sucks. Our 4.3 V6 Chevy has more pull than this thing.

I don't necessarily need it to pull anything. Or at least not yet. I may buy a boat down the line somewhere, but it won't be big enough that a Ram couldn't handle it. I just like the sound and looks (interior and exterior) of the Rams.

Do you like this one, I could show and tell you more? Clean Title. It's one of a kind. I'll be selling it sometime soon. Under 50K miles.

That's one sweet SS/T. Unfortunately, I need something with room for more than 2. I'm looking for a Quad Cab in the 2002-2008 generation. That's why I got rid of my Miata. My wife is tired of always having to take her car everywhere if we have friends carpooling with us, or also once we have kids.

I have a '98 F150 4x4 with the 5.4 liter engine. It's a gutless wonder on top, but it has great torque down low and pulls our Air Nautique perfectly. It's a HEAVY boat on a tandem axle trailer but I have no issues setting the cruise at 70 or so and cruising... Of course I turn the OD off unless on flat terrain. I've also pulled a car in a 24ft trailer with no issues. I've got it setup with the electric brake module as well.

I've not had ONE problem with it. Hell... It still has the stock battery and I think I'm at 92,000 on the odo.

When I bought it, I installed a "shift kit" of sorts into it. Basically it's electronic and makes the trans shift harder.

Chris

I have a '98 F150 4x4 with the 5.4 liter engine. It's a gutless wonder on top, but it has great torque down low and pulls our Air Nautique perfectly. It's a HEAVY boat on a tandem axle trailer but I have no issues setting the cruise at 70 or so and cruising... Of course I turn the OD off unless on flat terrain. I've also pulled a car in a 24ft trailer with no issues. I've got it setup with the electric brake module as well.

I've not had ONE problem with it. Hell... It still has the stock battery and I think I'm at 92,000 on the odo.

When I bought it, I installed a "shift kit" of sorts into it. Basically it's electronic and makes the trans shift harder.

Chris

Only problem with that is I'm a HUGE anti-Ford guy. My family has been GM all my life, tried and true. I remember the day my aunt brought her new Explorer to my grandpa's house....first Ford purchase in the entire family in a 10 year timespan. My grandpa called her Benedict Arnold as soon as he saw that thing.

My distaste for Ford is mostly unfounded, except for the fact that the only Ford my parents ever owned was back when I was little and it started falling apart right after they bought it.

Only problem with that is I'm a HUGE anti-Ford guy. My family has been GM all my life, tried and true. I remember the day my aunt brought her new Explorer to my grandpa's house....first Ford purchase in the entire family in a 10 year timespan. My grandpa called her Benedict Arnold as soon as he saw that thing.

My distaste for Ford is mostly unfounded, except for the fact that the only Ford my parents ever owned was back when I was little and it started falling apart right after they bought it.

Time to rethink things...

It's the ONLY American car company (big three) that didn't take our money... THAT is HUGE in my book. Plus what they have coming out is amazing right now. GM is doing a MUCH better job as well IMO. Chrysler?? Well, we'll see what the Italians can do for them...

Chris

FWIW - Dodge trucks are made in Mexico. Just sayin...

EDIT - not dissing Mexico. I've vacationed there & met some great people & had a wonderful time. In today's world market it's hard to know what's what any more. Toyotas are made in the USA, Dodges are made in Mexico - all vehicles have parts made from all over the world. I'm proud of my F150, but I know it's built with parts from all over the place, just like HD. I want to support my fellow citizens, but the line is getting blurrier every day.

Last edited:

Chris

How do you like it? Was it one of the superchips-esque plug in chips or a physical kit you installed?I thought about putting one of those in my '01 7700 Series (f250 in a 150's body...they made them as they were phazing out the f250 light duty and bringing in the super duty line). I'd heard mixed reviews about the physical shift kits, concerns about long term reliability and such.

I like the 5.4 and think it's got very adequate power, considering it's pushing an extra 1500 lbs over a standard f150. Passing isn't much of an issue, got plenty of pick-up and with the Lightning 4 wheel disc brakes/electronic controller, and 3.73 rear end, tows nicely also. I've had my problems with it, but nothing particularly bad or anything more than normal stuff. Battery, starter, and a vacuum solenoid for the 4x4 went.

I get people telling me ford sucks, or the GM fanboy favorite "fix or repair daily" all the time, and when I ask them why they think that, there's never a reason, it just sucks. They drive a Chevy, therefore Ford must suck and vice versa. I honestly don't get it.

Ford = First On Race Day

Dodge = Drips Oil & Drops Grease Everywhere

Chevrolet = Can Hear Every Valve Rattle On Long Extended Trips

We bash each other's trucks every day here at my work. It's all in fun.:biglaugh:

I could go on all day with ford ones I've heard.... including a variant of yours.....fucked on race day, found on road dead. I hear Explorers referred to as Exploders pretty often also...were they prone to fire or something? Thought that was the Crown Vics that blew up if you rear ended them.

Most
Often
Passed
At
Races

Cock
Hasnt
Entered
Vagina
Yet

I told that second one to my boss when he bought the 2500HD for the marina(he has two kids)....we had a good laugh, though one of the techs who's a huge anti-foreign, anti-ford, anti-anything but GM guy looked like he got genuinely offended over it and started on a brand-bashing tirade for the rest of the day. Some people just can't take a joke.

A good one you can use for any brand (I like HD's) is to say "Did you know 90% of (insert brand) made in the last 20 years are still on the road?" "Really?" "And the other 10% made it home!"

IMO it's closed minded to think one is better than the other. Every manufacturer offers things that are better for some than for others.

For me Fords engine development the last few years has been EPIC!

Ford F150 engines for 2011

3.7L V6 302 BHP at 6500 278lbft at 4500

3.5L V6 Eco-Boost 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque "While its 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque may look a bit down on paper when compared to the 6.2-liter V8, real-life scenarios prove that the EcoBoost has got the brawn where it counts most: right in the meat of the power band. Ninety percent of the boosted mill's torque is available from 1,700 rpm through 5,000 rpm, allowing it to match the bigger engine's 11,300-pound tow and 3,060-pound payload ratings."

5.0 V8 360 horsepower at 5500 rpm, and 380 pound-feet of torque at 4250 rpm.

6.2L V8 411BHP and 434 lb-ft.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/27/2011-ford-f-150-first-drive-review-road-test/

How do you like it? Was it one of the superchips-esque plug in chips or a physical kit you installed?I thought about putting one of those in my '01 7700 Series (f250 in a 150's body...they made them as they were phazing out the f250 light duty and bringing in the super duty line). I'd heard mixed reviews about the physical shift kits, concerns about long term reliability and such.

I like the 5.4 and think it's got very adequate power, considering it's pushing an extra 1500 lbs over a standard f150. Passing isn't much of an issue, got plenty of pick-up and with the Lightning 4 wheel disc brakes/electronic controller, and 3.73 rear end, tows nicely also. I've had my problems with it, but nothing particularly bad or anything more than normal stuff. Battery, starter, and a vacuum solenoid for the 4x4 went.

I get people telling me ford sucks, or the GM fanboy favorite "fix or repair daily" all the time, and when I ask them why they think that, there's never a reason, it just sucks. They drive a Chevy, therefore Ford must suck and vice versa. I honestly don't get it.

It was made by B&M. It has three positions. Off, #1 and #2. #2 is pretty stiff and I never use it.

Chris

Back