Scary close call!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
Heading into town this morning about 9:00 and came up on a Grad-All and dump truck in the other lane, they were placing new shoulder material on the shoulder on my side of the road. Both trucks were pointing downhill, away from me.

There were flagmen at either end of these vehicles and their paddles were indicating for me to stop. When the Grad-All operator swung back to the dump truck the flagmen turned their paddles to slow, so I let out the clutch and started to go.

I'm going pretty slow as it's a county operation and there were several guys leaning on shovels....most of them looking at the bike. So I'm weaving my way through them, keeping a close eye out in case one of them decides to wander out in front of me....then take a glance forward and there's the Grad-All boom right in front of me, just above my helmet and COMING DOWN!!

The fuckin' guy was continuing to spread shoulders even tho the flagmen are clearly indicating there is traffic coming thru! I'm too close to stop and would stand a good chance of getting crushed if I tried, so I ducked as low as I could, swung towards the truck where there was a little more clearance and just squeaked under the friggin' thing!

I tell you, that fuckin' boom looked as big as the supports on the Golden Gate Bridge!!....Whew, that was close!

Got a call in to the county highway super, I just don't think I'm letting this one go. I don't want to cost the guy his job or anything but think somebody better have a word with him!

Got a call in to the county highway super, I just don't think I'm letting this one go. I don't want to cost the guy his job or anything but think somebody better have a word with him!

So happy to hear of your survival, but FUCK THAT, call it in.

Danm Right call it in,the next guy or mom and kids may not be lucky!

glad to hear you are in one piece bud. what bike were you on?

If you really want to screw with them call the Directors of the County Engineering Dep't. and the County Public Services Dep't. I included phone #'s, & emails. Also the Traffic Safety Board and the regional OSHA office. Copy everyone in emails and sit back and watch them scramble to either address this or cover their asses. Be prepared to have them say, "he disobeyed the flagman!" Stand firm and make them deal with your complaint. The local governments get really-nervous as-soon as the feds become involved.

I looked for an Office of Risk Management for the county, but was unable to find one. You might try the Sheriff's Dep't.

http://columbiacountyny.com/documents/misc/ctv.pdf

Attachments

• AA Columbia County.02.pdf
    108.2 KB · Views: 1
If you really want to screw with them call the Directors of the County Engineering Dep't. and the County Public Services Dep't. I included phone #'s, & emails. Also the Traffic Safety Board and the regional OSHA office. Copy everyone in emails and sit back and watch them scramble to either address this or cover their asses. Be prepared to have them say, "he disobeyed the flagman!" Stand firm and make them deal with your complaint. The local governments get really-nervous as-soon as the feds become involved.

I looked for an Office of Risk Management for the county, but was unable to find one. You might try the Sheriff's Dep't.

http://columbiacountyny.com/documents/misc/ctv.pdf

Remind me to never eff with Fire-medic:rofl_200:

Glad to hear you're ok Dan-O. Too close. Construction eqipment, cell phone users, people in a hurry. It's dangerous out there.
I'm all for reporting that.
Steve

Thanks for the concern guys! :worthy:

Garrett, I was on the FJR, which may have been fortunate because my riding position is leaning a little more forward than on '99 and may have allowed me to duck down a little further.

Fire-Medic, thanks for the numbers but I called the county super of hwys., he appeared very concerned and assured that the operator would get his hand slapped! I'm ok with that, the guy fucked up, he'll get talked to....I don't want to cost him his job, he was an older guy....just made a mistake.

Probly find out next week that he was whacked out on cocaine, is a major local heroin dealer and has been fuckin' his grandaughters for years!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Fuckme Dano Glad you made it outta that tight spot, wow. Yeah you cant leave this alone. Like Rick said the next group may not be as lucky or skilled.

Whew! I'm sooo glad you still have your Reba like reflexes! I hope he learns a lesson, heavy equipment should not be in the hands of somebody that's not paying attention! The whole crew needs to tighten up the safety controls!:damn angry:

First off, thank God your ok Danny!

As a Trucking Manager, I recommend that you report this incident. I have been to a few bad accident scenes that were due to driver negligence and I would have rather been told before hand, before it's too late to do something about it.

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back