Scary wobble slowing down

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURBO

Reaction score
MY NEWLY PURCHASED VMAX GETS A PROGRESSIVE WOBBLE IN THE FRONT WHEN SLOWING DOWN IF YOU DONT HOLD THE HANDLEBARS TIGHTLY. THERE IS ONLY 18.000 MILES ON THE BIKE. WHAT WOULD CAUSE THAT ? ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN? PLEASE LET ME KNOW. TURBO:bang head:

What kind of shape is your front tire in ? If your tire is in good shape its most likely your head bearings need adjusted or replaced.

Are you talking, perhaps, about a mild wobble at about 45 mph (decelerating) with your hands barely on the bars? If so, I'd pretty much call that normal, unless you've got more symptoms.

MY NEWLY PURCHASED VMAX GETS A PROGRESSIVE WOBBLE IN THE FRONT WHEN SLOWING DOWN IF YOU DONT HOLD THE HANDLEBARS TIGHTLY. THERE IS ONLY 18.000 MILES ON THE BIKE. WHAT WOULD CAUSE THAT ? ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN? PLEASE LET ME KNOW. TURBO:bang head:
Check front tire ware & wheel balance first.It may be that simple.:eusa_dance:

+1 on the front tire!! Mine developed a low speed, decelleration wobble when I first got it due to a badly cupped front tire. Changed the tire, wobble went away.

This is very common and as Capt. Kyle said it will most likely be the front tire or loose/bad steering head bearings.

Run a search on the 'bounce test' and see how it reacts.

Steering head bearings need to be checked. Sounds like they are way too loose. See the videos I made in the help section here (as well as youtube).

Sean

If tyre and head bearing check out OK then move on to the wheel bearings.

Then brake disk thickness variation and disk run-out.

Do you feel any pulsing through the brake lever?

I had the same wobble, turned out the steering head bearing adjusting nut was too loose. Just loosened the top nut, turned the adjuster nut only about 1/8", re-tightened top nut, all is fine now.

Back