Scratched fender - carbon fibre

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t0lkien

Reaction score
So... my elderly Dad backed into my bike and scratched the front fender. Could have been worse, and I'm cursing myself for parking in the driveway instead of my normal place. That aside, does anyone know of a product that can be used to repair some of the damage? The scratch is reasonably deep, caused by the tow bar.

As I understand it, the carbon fibre pattern is just a sticker, so this is probably not going to be fixable, but maybe there's something I can do to minimize it? A replacement fender is $400+ if I can get one, and that's going to have to wait a while. Pics below:

Attachments

• 13050007.jpg
    13050007.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 13050005.jpg
    13050005.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 13050006.jpg
    13050006.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 30
Is this the stock 01 fender carbon fiber? Someone on here may have one if your lucky. Keep an eye out on ebay for em. Don't pay no 400 that's rediculous. How deep is it??? Just the clear coat?? If it is you could take it somewhere to get it reclear coated. Or if its not deep at all get yourself some 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper. Wet sand it and buff it up

Oh uea and shit happens just be happy it didn't fall over!!
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, it's factory bodywork. Yeah thanks for the sanding tip, will give that a go I think.

That's a bummer.

Are you in Australia? A new fender here is around $235

It is? Do you have any links? I looked around and couldn't find anything at that price.

Thanks! That's an option if I can't find anything here - and here it's going to be dearer for sure. We are price gouged on everything. One site has it for AUD$635 o_O

Thanks! That's an option if I can't find anything here - and here it's going to be dearer for sure. We are price gouged on everything. One site has it for AUD$635 o_O

I know.

Best thing will be if you can have someone purchase it and ship it to you via USPS........ you'll save a bunch of money. The dealer most likely will not and the shipping cost will kill your savings.

It you really get stuck let me know and I'll try to figure what it will cost you shipped USPS.

If you can't find a suitable replacement or the $ get too high, you can always mask off the front and back fenders and the faux tank and put a nice black stripe down the middle

Yes, it's factory bodywork. Yeah thanks for the sanding tip, will give that a go I think.

I don't know if your familiar with the process but wet sand until you have a smooth dull look then buff the crap out of it... you can buy a cheap foam buffer for a battery drill they work decent that's what I used on my bike.. if you can find 3m buffing compound is the stuff that works best but any will suite just don't need the heavy cut. I like to finish it off with mcquires ultimate compound.

Just make sure its not to deep otherwise you may find once you sand it all the way down it may need clearcoating. But if its surface your golden..

Or like KJ said put some black strips on it.. not my cup of tea but its a thought

I don't know if your familiar with the process but wet sand until you have a smooth dull look then buff the crap out of it... you can buy a cheap foam buffer for a battery drill they work decent that's what I used on my bike.. if you can find 3m buffing compound is the stuff that works best but any will suite just don't need the heavy cut. I like to finish it off with mcquires ultimate compound.

Just make sure its not to deep otherwise you may find once you sand it all the way down it may need clearcoating. But if its surface your golden..

Or like KJ said put some black strips on it.. not my cup of tea but its a thought

I was not aware you could sand the stock C.F. body work without going into the decal C.F.

I was not aware you could sand the stock C.F. body work without going into the decal C.F.

Like he said its just a sticker right? I'm not 100 percent but it should have clear coat paint over it.

I got a buddy that does vehicle wraps. (vinyl) He just showed me 4 diff carbon fiber colors. he said he sells it for 15 bucks a sq ft. If the original fender is just a sticker.....Im sure youd have to pay someone to lay it down for you but. just a thought. Ive got 3 pieces (panels) on my 4wheeler that hes gonna wrap & if I like it, some parts on the max have been in the back of my mind.

I got a buddy that does vehicle wraps. (vinyl) He just showed me 4 diff carbon fiber colors. he said he sells it for 15 bucks a sq ft. If the original fender is just a sticker.....Im sure youd have to pay someone to lay it down for you but. just a thought. Ive got 3 pieces (panels) on my 4wheeler that hes gonna wrap & if I like it, some parts on the max have been in the back of my mind.

Ask him if you need a 3-4 ft. long strip , is it one piece or do you have to piece 3 or 4 sq. ft. sections together .

TIA

Back