Self-made free flow air filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akatora

Reaction score
Hello,

It is easy and cheap to make a free flow bolt-on type air filter for V-max. All that is needed is:

- stock air filter (preferably an old dirty one)
- cutting machine of some kind, if nothing available then metal saw can be used
- glue gun
- piece of plastic foam (thickess 20mm, length 420mm, height 100mm)
- foam filter oil

1) Cut the top and bottom off from the filter. Then you can release the metal cage and throw away the old dirty paper element
2) Using the glue gun, fit the original metal cage back into the bottom. Good idea to glue it from both outside and inside.
3) Cut the mentioned size piece of plastic foam and insert it inside the metal cage to make same shape as was the original paper element.
4) Spray some foam filter oil on your element.
5) Install the original top above the arrangement (not necessary to glue it) and bolt on place.

Now you have your free flow filter which can be easily dismantled, washed and used again...very easy and very cheap!

Regards,

AT

that may be but it still won't give you a HP gain.

Sean

ill keep the stock filter setup...if i had to start doing this pea shooter thing....id shoot my eye out

:signlies:

You dont use all stock parts we all know about your local hardware store brake pad clip.

Reminds of the Ozzy Song Shot in the eye,, ohh wait or was is it Shot in the dark:ummm:

Here are the photos of the filter arrangement (ready) and the tools and materials needed to complete the modification.

As for HP gains, it is not the main purpose of this modification. For serious HP there are turbo chargers...
biglaugh.gif

But as the air filter is one solid part of carburetor set up, it can be used to modify the mixture - and of course - to minimize restriction in the suction side which is one problem of stock V-Max. On the other hand, why spend your money for K&N etc. for same effect? Even if keeping the stock filter is desired, it must be renewed from time to time, as it can not be cleaned completely - and this cost some money.

With this set-up I'm able to run Keihin 160 main jets (equals to Mikuni 160) with machined stage 7 like jet needles (not shimmed) and mixture screw 3.5 turns out here at 300 m above sea level. V-boost is all the time open and I have added ignition advance circuit (10%) there. The power supply IS good...
punk0000.gif

Regards,

AT

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 51
I say its a great idea!!:clapping: For those that are on a limited budget. I think this mod is awesome for those that also drill there OEM exhaust. Who knows it may be a cheap way to pick up some extra HP at a very low cost.
I see he is also using the air filter oil for extra protection.
He is working on a Mod Monkey Award.
The speedo and tach swap was interesting.:rofl_200:

But these are ideas at a very low cost and not inducing other problems.

I like the blue:eusa_dance: I think if I had the stock airbox I would ride around with the faux off to just show off my blue filter...
Sean says he think the foam may deteriate, but I bet you can buy a shitload of foam before you spent 70+ bucks on a K&N.

Just watch the hot melt glue being used. Some have a very low melting point (high wax content). Stuck in traffic at 100 degrees could cause it to melt. I would be tempted to use a high temp silicone in its place.

That's correct. You can use light PSI air to get some of it clean but best to get the K&N replacement. As long as air box is stock won't affect air flow at all.

I'm sorry but my time is worth something...For the time and trouble I would just buy the damn filter. I am all for making stuff fit but this is an air filter we are talking about! One of the most important items for longevity... not the place I am looking to skimp.

Who the hell has time and energy to go out and have needles machined?!?! I gave away a set at our last event. I'm not sure what I have left but hell I will give those away too. Making a high dollar part or something that makes the bike different is one thing.

It wasn't too long ago someone used CLR or something on a set of carbs. I remember the shitstorm that caused!

We have a local guy here looking to do some mods.. I was going to give him my K&N just so it doesn't lay around collecting dust. If he decides he doesn't want it I will give it to whoever wants to pay shipping just to keep someone from doing something like this.

The swap of the gauges and the speedo mod.... Friggin rocks!

I wouldn't do it to mine but I give you a ton of credit for thinking outside the box. The mod award was well deserved...but lets make sure our "sage" advice doesn't get a vmax sidelined. esp when we are talking low dollar items more or less.

Just my opinion

Frank

the stock filters are not washable im guessing ?

I wash the stock filter for 5 minutes in an ultrasonic bath with 1 part alkaline salts degreaser and 20 parts water.

Comes out clean as a whistle and drip dries in no time.

I was amazed at the amount of shit that came out of the filter.

I'm sorry but my time is worth something...For the time and trouble I would just buy the damn filter. I am all for making stuff fit but this is an air filter we are talking about! One of the most important items for longevity... not the place I am looking to skimp.

Who the hell has time and energy to go out and have needles machined?!?! I gave away a set at our last event. I'm not sure what I have left but hell I will give those away too. Making a high dollar part or something that makes the bike different is one thing.

It wasn't too long ago someone used CLR or something on a set of carbs. I remember the shitstorm that caused!

We have a local guy here looking to do some mods.. I was going to give him my K&N just so it doesn't lay around collecting dust. If he decides he doesn't want it I will give it to whoever wants to pay shipping just to keep someone from doing something like this.

I wouldn't do it to mine but I give you a ton of credit for thinking outside the box. The mod award was well deserved...but lets make sure our "sage" advice doesn't get a vmax sidelined. esp when we are talking low dollar items more or less.

Just my opinion

Frank

What he is doing is no worse than a set of Cornballs Flatslides sitting out in the open with foam filters catching on fire from backfires.
What type of filters do you think they use on dirtbikes? Foam! He using oil to spray on the filters.
I wouldnt recommend this setup if you ride on dirt roads on the back roads of Alabama.
Hell I ran velocity stacks on a dragbike for 5 yrs with no problems.
Thats great that you have 50+ shipping to spend to get 1-2 HP some people here dont have it.
Did you notice he is in Finland and have you priced international shipping along with a price on Stg 7 needles if Dynojet will sell them to you!
Maybe he is a retailer in a mall and knows the dude that runs the store that shaved his needles. I admit I wouldnt drive across the state to do this myself.
Do you have any FCR's ya wanna give away? I will pay for the shipping. If ya have a Magna Supercharger I will take that also.. Shit hang on,. I need a swingarm ya have a Taylormade ya can give me??

I too think it's great to see him moving and making stuff I just don't dig some of the parts he is making. The speedo/tach swap looks like crap (at least the new speedo location) but I am sure is much more functional and was done on the dirt cheap (which I like). This filter setup also is nice work and for his area is problably a lot cheaper then the alternative.

Keep making your parts and don't let our comments get you down. After all it's your bike and make it your own. You'll find it can be a learning curve on some stuff that can get more expensive then simply going with a tried and trued method of doing stuff.

Sean

Hello,

Don't worry, will not be upset for different opinions - especially because the result is satisfactory.
biglaugh.gif

The filter parts cost about 10 bucks and it took a whole 15 minutes to make the filter (total assembly).

Yankee guessed right!
eusa_dance.gif
I got a bunch of foam materials for that price and when I have to change the foam next time it will take something like 5 minutes.

And yes, doesn't matter how much time it takes, as spending time with the Max is probably one of the best ways to spend time...
rofl_200.gif
Riding is only part of the fun.

Regards,

AT

Hello,

Don't worry, will not be upset for different opinions - especially because the result is satisfactory.
biglaugh.gif

The filter parts cost about 10 bucks and it took a whole 15 minutes to make the filter (total assembly).

Yankee guessed right!
eusa_dance.gif
I got a bunch of foam materials for that price and when I have to change the foam next time it will take something like 5 minutes.

And yes, doesn't matter how much time it takes, as spending time with the Max is probably one of the best ways to spend time...
rofl_200.gif
Riding is only part of the fun.

Regards,

AT

"Riding is only part of the fun".........Well said AT, I agree with you 100%! There's a lot more to the V Max Experience than just riding.

The frustration when something goes wrong, the hours of head time trying to figure it out. :bang head:

Making contact with the great guys on this forum for ideas and resolving the issue. :eusa_dance:

Then finally being able to throw a leg over and feel the thrill of WOT on your, now, great running V Max. :worthy:

There's a lot there man, I wouldn't trade it for anything. :ten_out_of_ten:

dan

Come on Lankee...you don't want anymore fancy parts for the wobbler. It won't help the resale.

I wouldn't dare put this guy in the same league as Cornball!!Don't put words in my mouth. Besides there isn't room with my foot in there. I just wanted to be the voice of caution and offer up what I had. I'm not looking to take anything away from Akatora... I just know this same project could be a problem if not done right. I know what they use on dirtbikes and I also know some drag race with nothing, but living here in NE you never now when you might hit that gravel road. When it comes to an airfilter safe is better than sorry.

As for shipping to Finland I have no clue... but I bet I can fit them into an envelope and find out.

I am just as broke as any other guy on this board... I have spent enough on my max as well and the new ones price tag is enough to make me shit, but you don't see me on here bitching when a tire wears out or when my latest mod doesn't give me a return. I don't ride it enough but I like beating the crap out of it. If it breaks or if a bolt falls off I tightened then it's my own damn fault.

Don't make me a bad guy for voicing my opinion... That's what these boards are for.

Frank

Just my opinion

Frank

Hey Frank

Broke new home owner here and need an air filter. Would like the k&n that you have. If that guy doesn't want it I will take it. It sounded like you said "have" and just pay shipping. I would gladly pay something for it plus shipping but if you would like to just give it away I definitely don't have a problem with it. I have a 2007 max...has the air filter ever changed on the max's??

Thanks man

John

Back