Shinko 230's front and rear what do you say?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
As the title states. I know guys run the 230 rear in a 170 form, and many use a different front tire.

I have bad tires front and back. I found a package deal $151 on ebay with free shipping. Both Shinko tires 230 110 90 18 and 170 80 15.

Does that sound decent price wise?

Who has the cheapest deal around. I searched and didn't see anything much better.

But those that have run them both together front and rear, what mileage did you get out of them? And how did they ride? I beat the bike out of the hole, so I think the extra grip would be nice.

Thanks
Todd

whats bikebandit showing for a price? i get free shipping thru them which is nice.

yea if you sign up for podium you get free shipping (ground) for a year. $30 to sign up i got it for $17 tho.

I personally Don't like the Shinko TM 230 Front tire or the Meztler ME880 front tire either for that matter.
Those are really cruise tires and I like the Twisties waaaay too much to run anything other than a Sport Touring front tire.
In the past I have run the Metzeler Lasertec front with the Shinko Rear and I am currently running a BattLaxx BT-45V Front with a Shinko TM 230 Rear.
I have to say so far I'm Very happy with this combination and I have definitely put them to the test with a few high speed runs through some very nice twisties.

I just like to know that I have a Quality tire up front.
I have dealt with rear tire blowouts before but I would Not even want to think about a front tire blowout at any speed over about 5 mph.

But I don't think you'll find a better price than the $135 + $9 stated above for a set of rubber for the Max.

I agree better tire up front but make sure the tread patterns are the same as rear or it could be a danger on wet pavement. Its a no no to mix just so you know.

^ I found over the years that as long as they are similar they are fine, the last set of matched tires I ran on my Max was at least 6-7 years ago.
I don't ride in the rain often but I have never had a problem when I did.
If you look at the Tread Pattern of the BT45-V front and the Shinko TM 230 Rear, you'll see how simillar they are.

My experience with Stinko's has been less than impressive. Had front/rear installed in the spring and have since replaced both due to excessive round out causing significant hop at speeds in excess of 40mph. They are cheap for a reason...they are just cheaply made...Now have Metzler Lasertek on the front and an Avon Venom on the rear...rock solid waaaaayyyyy past the c-note!

I have em, with a 170 rear. At first I didn't like em, but found out the shop over inflated them. After lowering the pressure, I really like em, had em on for about 8 days. Got mine on amazon through motorcycle superstore.

I run them and have had good luck with them. Very sticky and CHEAP too. I buy them three tires at a time myself, as I seem to go through two rears for one front. Not sure of exact millage though :confused2:

I used 110/18-18 Fr and 170/80-15 Re on my '86 and loved them.

And I've put the same front and 150/90-15 rear on my '00, only went with OEM rear size because the bike has to go through Aussie compliance (and still is :damn angry:)

I can vouch for the Shinko TM 230 rear but not the front. I've had 7-8 rear Shinkos and not one issue with them. I've had them up over 140 mph and solid as a rock, works great in the rain as well.
On the front I've tried the Bridgestone, Dunlop, Shinko, Metzler 880 and I like the Metz the best. If I wasn't adding radials I would sampling the Lasertec next on the front.

My experience with Stinko's has been less than impressive. Had front/rear installed in the spring and have since replaced both due to excessive round out causing significant hop at speeds in excess of 40mph. They are cheap for a reason...they are just cheaply made...Now have Metzler Lasertek on the front and an Avon Venom on the rear...rock solid waaaaayyyyy past the c-note!

+ 1 , very inconsistent , especially at its limits , on a sport bike , on the track .

Back