Shinko tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Shenko tires

Hey Itgoes that one is the R011 right? how is it about balance? Needed a lot of weight or pretty good balanced from start?

Right, Shinko Verge O11's.

It's got 1 1/2 oz. on the front and 3 oz. on the back.

Looking at where the weight is, I can see that the heavy part of the wheel should have been found first and then tire mounted and balanced. I have super light weight aluminum valve stems so I think the normal assumption of the red dot at the valve stem goes out the window. All of the weights on both wheels are directly opposite the valve stems.

yeah it may be a coincidence though. usually we here check it after mounting and if too much off we just rotate the tire on the rim in order to minimize the use of weights.

yeah it may be a coincidence though. usually we here check it after mounting and if too much off we just rotate the tire on the rim in order to minimize the use of weights.

i went through 2x 190 R011's and 1x 120 F011. I liked them. sticky, lasted about 3-4k miles. i could do power wheelies on wet roads, altho unintentional. I wanted a 130 front so i moved to the '005 advance' line. only have about 20miles on the rear so i can't offer much at this point.

wasn't a huge fan of the tread pattern. from what i understand the higher the # (so 011 is the highest) the harder the compound for their radial line. with the 003 stealths being the stickiest.

as far as balance mine took .75 oz for the rear. i have a heavy as shit kosman 17x5.5 weld up though.

Not that bad. I will need to replace my pirelli diablo in sometime and was considering the shinkos but was in doubt between the 003, R010 and R011 as i don't know them at all. I don't ride much so do you think the the 003 is the best deal? They are pretty much the same price around here.

What about the Full Bore brand?

http://www.fullboretires.com/index.html

i went through 2x 190 R011's and 1x 120 F011. I liked them. sticky, lasted about 3-4k miles. i could do power wheelies on wet roads, altho unintentional. I wanted a 130 front so i moved to the '005 advance' line. only have about 20miles on the rear so i can't offer much at this point.

wasn't a huge fan of the tread pattern. from what i understand the higher the # (so 011 is the highest) the harder the compound for their radial line. with the 003 stealths being the stickiest.

as far as balance mine took .75 oz for the rear. i have a heavy as shit kosman 17x5.5 weld up though.

The #'s don't reflect the compound type, I'm pretty sure it's when the tires came out with the 011 Verge beiing the latest tire to come out.

I've only ridden in cold weathe so far so it's hard to judge the stickyness just yet but I've heard good things. The Gen 2 will light up anything back there because of the early TQ it makes and the weight distibution.....it more a matter of what will spin least.

Not that bad. I will need to replace my pirelli diablo in sometime and was considering the shinkos but was in doubt between the 003, R010 and R011 as i don't know them at all. I don't ride much so do you think the the 003 is the best deal? They are pretty much the same price around here.

What about the Full Bore brand?

http://www.fullboretires.com/index.html

i wouldn't do stealth, but thats just based one my thoughts, seems like is a track day tire that has DOT. i think its too soft but thats just a gut feeling. my brother has one on his vmax so give us a few weeks and i can ask him.

otherwise i think the vmax using a tire thats made for sport tourers is probably good, and that falls in the 010 or 011 area. i chose the 005 but thats b/c i wanted those specific sizes and front/back to match.

The #'s don't reflect the compound type, I'm pretty sure it's when the tires came out with the 011 Verge beiing the latest tire to come out.

I've only ridden in cold weathe so far so it's hard to judge the stickyness just yet but I've heard good things. The Gen 2 will light up anything back there because of the early TQ it makes and the weight distibution.....it more a matter of what will spin least.

i wasn't sure on that for the #s either and that makes more sense. I saw it somewhere and couldn't find where. altho it does seem the 011/010 are for higher mileage considerations whereas the 003 is more of a dot-legal track day tire.

I have a nice set of Shinko Tourmasters with the wider 170/80/15 rear and 110/90/18 front. Not like new but close. Still has the tits on them except for the very centers. $100 + shipping takes both. Pics upon request.

Here's an article on the Shinko Tour Masters where they specifically give them a whirl on a 2001 V-Max and came away with the impression they're a big improvement on the stockers.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/gear/shinko-tour-master-230-tires.htm/

I just ordered a set front/rear to replace the tires on the bike until I can swing some 17" rims and radials. They look in fair shape but I am still having some minor wobbles at 20-30mph with my hands off the bars. So I took a longer look a the tires and the front tire is original from factory where it was installed in 2005... suspension upgrades resolved a lot of the handling uncertainty, but here I am running 8 year old tires and wondering why it's still not feeling so good on the road. :clapping:

Hey Garrett what do you think about the Shinko Journey SE790? It comes in 130/70-18
http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-se790-journey-touring-radial-motorycle-tire#tabtop

haven't heard a thing but thats good to know there are options.

whats interesting is there seems to be a 890 as well with a metzler-like (or a shinko 005 type for the rear) tread pattern:

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=77

those types of sport touring tires would probably better suit our bikes. made for heavier, more torquey bikes.

EDIT: actually a lot of the info i found for 890 and 790 contratidcted itself so I emailed the shinko rep to ask them.

haven't heard a thing but thats good to know there are options.

whats interesting is there seems to be a 890 as well with a metzler-like (or a shinko 005 type for the rear) tread pattern:

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=77

those types of sport touring tires would probably better suit our bikes. made for heavier, more torquey bikes.

EDIT: actually a lot of the info i found for 890 and 790 contratidcted itself so I emailed the shinko rep to ask them.
The only thing I don't like on the 890 is the tread "line" down the middle, I have to cross the Mackinac Bridge which has about 2.5 miles of grating that my old TM230 front tire would like to wander a bit which can make the crossing a bit of a handful when there's a 30 or 40 mph cross wind.
It will be interesting to see what the Shinko Rep has to say.

The only thing I don't like on the 890 is the tread "line" down the middle, I have to cross the Mackinac Bridge which has about 2.5 miles of grating that my old TM230 front tire would like to wander a bit which can make the crossing a bit of a handful when there's a 30 or 40 mph cross wind.
It will be interesting to see what the Shinko Rep has to say.

Shinko_Rep said:
Hi Garrett,
The actual model is the SE890, the pictures on the website are incorrect and will soon be fixed. The tire was originally going to be called the 790, but it was changed before production to the SE890.
If you go to page 1077 of the 2013 WPS street catalog, it will have the correct info and pictures:
Catalogue

here is some info. i believe you are correct as some photos are showing a 005 type pattern. i asked for confirmation on that as well.

I have the the Tour Masters now. They grip WAY better than the Dunlop's but on the down side the rear is wearing quickly. I will be lucky to 3k out of it. Front looking new still.
Has anyone tried the Dunlop Elite II. Heard of people getting 20K out of the rear on Goldwings even towing trailers.
I'm wondering if they hold up on the rear of the Max?

Any input?

Ray

Latest posts

Back