Shinko tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin thunder

Reaction score
HI guys .I have seen videos and heard that when you get new tires mounted you have to be careful because the tires can be slippery .I have brand new Shenko tires on the front and back of bike .Do I need to be cautious the first time out with the bike?.

Re: Shenko tires

I was, atleast until the tires get a few miles on them.

I have dunlops on the bike right now and ,I have heard nothing but bad info on these tires .They seem ok to me ,the only issue i had was one time I slid the back end a little on a man hole cover but I was on the gas a little so it was my fault a little .I hear the Shenko tires grip alot more than the Dunlops.

I love the Shinkos that I have now, and there is a major difference. The Shinkos are more sticky, and more "rounded" so the bike handles a LOT better.

I ran hard on my shinkos from day one. Lots of traction.

HI guys .I have seen videos and heard that when you get new tires mounted you have to be careful because the tires can be slippery .I have brand new Shenko tires on the front and back of bike .Do I need to be cautious the first time out with the bike?.

Yes....go easy the first couple of times out. All tires have a mold release agent on them when new that makes them slippery. Once they are scuffed a little they are good to go.

I go to a parking lot and do slow figure 8's that get tighter and tighter so that the entire tire has been roughed up a bit before I go hard in the turns.

Yes....go easy the first couple of times out. All tires have a mold release agent on them when new that makes them slippery. Once they are scuffed a little they are good to go.

I go to a parking lot and do slow figure 8's that get tighter and tighter so that the entire tire has been roughed up a bit before I go hard in the turns.

Good idea .Thanks ,I will do that.

i THIS IS 100% TRUE , MY LAST SET OF TIRES I SPRAYED SEVERAL RAGS WITH CARBURETOR CLEANER AND CLEANED THE VERY SLIPPERY MOLD RELEASE AGENT OFF OF MY TIRES AND THEY WERE FINE RIGHT AWAY ! ... ITS NOT THE RUBBER THATS SLIPPERY ITS THE MOLD RELEASE SHIT ! ... SO HOWEVER YOU GET IT OFF , I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT RUNNING THE POLICE UNTIL YOU DO SO ! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

i give all tires 100 miles before i'll start testing them. the main strip is probably good in a couple miles but i give it 100 to make sure the sides are start to be worn and stuff.

Shinkos are 1000% grippier than those S$%^& Dunlops. I've had both on the same bike, and a scar from the soapy Dunlops, thanks.

BUT, all NEW tires can be slippery. Either take it easy for at least 50 miles, or do a quick burnout (good for rear only, and bad for longevity..)

What shinkos are you talking about? The stock size tire? Im considering going with the R011 for my rear one they are cheaper and look nice at least.

Cheaper doesn't always mean better . My tires are always the best I can afford at the time. Hint : Shinkos have never been on my bikes. I take that back. The black Max had stock wheels with one on the rear when I got it. It had a R-1 brake on the rear as well. About the third time I hit the rear brake and it tried to beat the front end through an intersection , I parked it until I could change out to 17s and went with Michelin Pilot Powers. Never had another issue with the same R-1s . :punk:

Well my rear Shinko 170/80 was close to 100.00 with shipping. Since they are softer they will only last 4000-5000 miles, which is a normal riding season for most people. When I first got my Vmax, I used the rear brake trying to stop coming into an intersection (was used to the rear brake from my last bike). LOCKED up the brake (stock brakes) and went sliding into the intersection. I learned REALLY quickly to use the front brakes FIRST, and if I need more...then use the rear.

Now I have Shinko's front and rear, 6 piston calipers up front and the Vmax stops WAY betters than a "stock" one.

Agreed on using the fronts . Just saying , I don't mind the rear locking so much if it stays on line.

Just scuffed my new Shinko in this morning.

new.jpg

Agreed on using the fronts . Just saying , I don't mind the rear locking so much if it stays on line.

LOL....mine didnt. It locked up and started coming around. I had the Vmax for about a week, and learned that lesson. Thankfully it didnt fall over, and I didnt loose any skin.

Just scuffed my new Shinko in this morning.

View attachment 35627
200? I run a 200 Shinko it is nice and grippy, running sportbike rubber on my Gen1 is a vast improvement over my old setup.
Front brake always first, and then rear. The front should provide 80% of your braking on the street, maybe a little more. On dirt it is closer to 50-50.

200? I run a 200 Shinko it is nice and grippy, running sportbike rubber on my Gen1 is a vast improvement over my old setup.
Front brake always first, and then rear. The front should provide 80% of your braking on the street, maybe a little more. On dirt it is closer to 50-50.

Yes....200/18 Verge with matching front.

They feel great so far.

Latest posts

Back