Side engine cover

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvmccreary

Reaction score
Has any one had trouble swapping covers from one bike engine to another? I'm having trouble with the cover that slides over the shifter shaft and has six screws that holds it on. When I slide the cover on the shaft it will not line up with the holes for the screws. I didn't push or pull too hard on it, but has anyone else had this problem, and how do you propose I solve it?

Thanks

You're talking middle gear cover I believe. I'm thinking it's not straightly lined up. Get the shaft and bushing clean and slick. Put the new cover on a flat surface and make sure it's not screwed up. Sometimes I make alignment studs for things by cutting the heads off a couple of screws. hand thread them in then use them as a guide to install. Don't forget to get the bolt with the copper gasket in the right spot or it'll leak. Good luck.
Steve-o

Nope. The whole cover won't line up. Which the shifter should be in line because it is a part of the original engine. Could it perhaps have happened in shipping the engine? Is that possible to bend the shifter?

Yeah I can do that first thing when I get home. BTW this cover is the last thing I need to do before I can try to start her up

Nope. The whole cover won't line up. Which the shifter should be in line because it is a part of the original engine. Could it perhaps have happened in shipping the engine? Is that possible to bend the shifter?
Never had a problem with them covers not lining up. It is possible the shaft could have been bent in shipping. I would look at it closely that is the only thing I can think of.

All year covers interchange so should not be an issue. As noted something is likely bent on the shift shaft.

Is there a difference between the Vmax case and Venture case?

The early Venture did not have a hole for the shift shaft. The later venture had the hole but no bushing was installed (instead they put 2 of them in the stator covers. Simply move one of them over to the mid cover).

I couldn't get a good straight edge reading but I did manage to get the cover on but it required some effort so I'm definitely thinking the shift shaft is bent some kind of way.

Obviously it is bent the opposite your cover holes are off but logically, its irons ably bent upwards toward the cylinders. It could be tweaked forward but I doubt it. That not a shaft easily bent in the opposite direction. A replacement would be the fix in my eye. Hope you don't have a leaker of hard/sticky shifting now. If it were me, I would not have installed/forced the cover on.

Back