Small turn signals?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingrider

Reaction score
Hey all,

I would like to get a smaller than stock turn signals all the way around for Max, as the large lollypop looks kind if dated...but worry that people behind or meeting me on the highway won't see me.

I had a set of small blinkers on a Gixxer I used to run, and unless you were riding at night or were at a 90 degree angle to the bike, other drivers couldn't see them. They looked really trick, but sucked in every other way.

I've read about cheap sets breaking, and am not opposed to spending good money to get a decent product, but don't want to needlessly spend money on something that looks nice, but doesn't light up enough for folks to notice.

So, anybody running small lights that REALLY light up? I'm not opposed to going LED either.

Thanks for any help!

I just installed tmporarily installated the Harrison Specialty lights and they are really bright..I wired them up to function as both running and turn signals in the rear (red led) and running and turn in the front (amber). I plan on finalizing the install over the weekend and I can try and take a quick video both during the day and at night so you can gauge how bright they are..I mostly did my work at night so I can confidently say that they are very very bright at night and I would feel very comfortable knowing I am quite visible at a wide angle of view. Let me know if your interested in seeing a video and I'll try and get one on here

I have a set that I really like for two reasons. #1 they're cheap as dirt #2 they use halogen bulbs.

Are they as visible as stock? Nah... But they aren't the size of dinner plates either... lol

Check out my photos.

Chris

I just picked up some nice billet chrome LED (18 superbright LEDS) that are very small. I will get some pictures of them off and turned on. They are awesome for my layout.

i just got some of the cheap ones Sean offers for $10 a pair I believe. clear lenses and they light up a lot better than my previous smoke lenses. can't beat the price.

some shots. i could get a vid of them on too if u wanted at some point.

Attachments

• 2010-02-21 15.10.49.jpg
    2010-02-21 15.10.49.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 2010-02-21 15.10.58.jpg
    2010-02-21 15.10.58.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 2010-02-21 15.11.17.jpg
    2010-02-21 15.11.17.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 93
Part of the reason the stockers are so noticeable is that they stick out like a sore thumb! I just recently put these on. Haven't been able to test ride the bike so can't say what they are like out on the road.....

Attachments

• DSC03529.JPG
    DSC03529.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC03530.JPG
    DSC03530.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 77
Thanks for the replies so far. Mike, are those signals you have LED's?

Trevor, when you bought those oberon's, did you order them from that site? Did you have to use a resister on every light? They certainly look bright!

Clay, which blinkers from Morley? I looked at his site, but couldn't plant a finger on which one's I'd want.

By far the most popular signals (and what I stock) are the aluminum housing style. I can get the others just about as quickly. Note the led's will need a diode kit to let the blinkers flash without all 4 flashing at the same time (more info on that problem can be found by searching the forum).

Sean

Trevor, when you bought those oberon's, did you order them from that site? Did you have to use a resister on every light? They certainly look bright!

I bought them through Blue Streak Racing http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/en/b...otorcycle_mirrors/oberon_mini_indicators.html
$75 US a pair. I did have to install two resistors, one on each side ($16 a pair for Oberon's with heat sink). I also machined up some bushings to make the fit to the stock location look finished. Let me know if you want some pics.

Ok heres a very short vid to show the brightness of the led turn signals functioning as running lights. Disregard the knight rider light, after I temporarily wired it up I decided it was just too much and will be returning it in exchange for one that lights up at mid brightness as a running light and flashes as a brake light...I did however route a slot if you will for the light to recess into the reflector which came out looking sweet, as if it was from the factory like that..After I have it all togehter and wired up I'll take some detailed shots of how it looks. It sits into the reflector not on top of it, very clean.. I might consider making a quick jig to knock out a bunch of them if there's interest..
Its been crappy weather out here so once it clears up , I'll take a video at a greater distance and in the daylight and at night so you can see the brightness of these signals...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YL5o1EN4tM

I use the aluminum bodied ones as shown above. They are inexpensive, fit well and shine very brightly. I like 'em.

G Man

Attachments

• dsc00523 (2).jpg
    dsc00523 (2).jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 55
  • dsc00524 (3).jpg
    dsc00524 (3).jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 58
whats the bracket for?

That's my Ventura luggage system. The passenger grab bar is on there at the moment. It replaces in seconds with a taller bar with a small rack that supports a large expandable luggage bag. Very cool, tidy system.

G Man

and pictures of those lights on my bike. And these past the wife's, are these bright enough to be seen at night test. She hated them being so small but was just fine when she saw them on the bike at night as I rode home from a friends with her in the car.

Attachments

• completedark.jpg
    completedark.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 24
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 24
  • lightson.jpg
    lightson.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 25
  • rear blinking.jpg
    rear blinking.jpg