SNQ (Stupid Newbie Questions) re: gas fill-ups & extra tanks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pageophile

Reaction score
Hello all

Was just thinking about this and hope you guys can help. When filling-up at the gas station, is your max on it's side stand or center stand? Does it matter? On some bikes you can only top it off completely if it's completely up right. Does it matter on the Max?

And second, does anyone here run an additional tank? I've seen a few that replace the passenger seat and some that replace the airbox cover with a real tank.

There is also the option of the larger stock tank but there are alot of conditions and things to watch out for (no shorter rear shocks, certain exhausts are out, swingarm mod's can interfer, tire size becomes a factor).

I really like my Max a lot and want to try some touring, however, the idea of filling up ever 150km doesn't appeal to me a whole lot.

Ideas? Experiences?

Thanks in advance,

Page

Page, I always put mine on the center stand but don't think it makes a huge difference.

IMHO, I don't think a bigger tank is necessary. My low fuel light doesn't come on until 185 km or so and I get at least a total of 240 km before fill-up. Best I remember doing is 170 miles or about 273 km on a tank. I'm usually ready for a break before that....I try to go in 110-130 mile spurts before taking a break.

Mark

Whenever we go on a cruise, I tell the guys that when we pass a gas station I am going to stop and 'catch up with them'.

Thx Mark,

I was getting 125 km before the light came on and now I just head to a gas station. Maybe I'll try running it till the comes on solid. To be honest, I'm not the lightest throttle hand in/around the city (it's a max after all).

When you did the 170 miles on a single tank, were you at the end of reserve? Running on fumes? Or ?

Thx again :D

Yeah, when filling up I put in 3.8 something gallons in. :)

Mark

lol, not much around for gas stations where I was at. :)

Mark

170 MILES :Shocked:

The best I have done is 200km and it took 14.9 litres. I always put it on the centre stand. I have found a 50km difference the the side stand. I drive 90km each way to work and I can not make it back to the same gas station the I filled up at unless I baby the throttle. Reserve I found to be about 30km. More then that is pushing it. (and I have pushed the max too many times. She is a heavy pig.)

I hit the gas station outside Lukenbach sweating bullets.

My friends on the Harley said the gas station was only a few more miles away when I was sitting on 105 miles. I rolled in with 128 miles on the odometer.... put in 3.7 gallons. Doing the math I had about 10.7 miles left before I was pushing her or waitng for them to return with gas.

Today I bought two new one gallon tanks for my saddle bags and some insulator for underneath them.... in case those big tanked bastards forget my limited range in the future and I am stupid enough to believe them!

:rocket bike:

There's another option to the expensive aftermarket tanks - it's an aluminum tank from Tour Tank. It fits on the rear rack and with a petcock, dumps into the main vmax tank - well made and not expensive. They make them in 1, 2.25, 3.5, 4 & 4.5 US gallon tanks. I don't have a picture of the one on my bike, but you'll get the idea from the ones included.

I have a 2.25 gal tank attached to the vmax rack and it comes off as a unit when I don't need - It has saved my ass more than once up in the lonely highways in Northern Ontario.

http://www.tourtank.com/

:cheers: Mike

Attachments

• 8x12sm.jpg
    8x12sm.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 11
  • bluebike-600x450.jpg
    bluebike-600x450.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 32
Mine is always right at 3.18-3.20 gallons when I fill it up as soon as the light comes on.

I fill it up on the side stand (don't have a center stand) and put my left leg against the side of the bike and shake/rock it as hard as I can without knocking it over.

This "burps" the tank of trapped air and usually allows another .10 to .15 gallons to be put in which helps a lot on a tank this small.

Rusty

Back