Sportbike Rear Shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wister

Reaction score
I was thinking of replacing the rear shocks with something off of a 600 or 1000. I see you can get r1/r6/cbr shocks for about 100 a pop and they are totally adjustable. The problem I am anticipating is suspension travel as these shocks usually operate through rockers. Does anyone have any experience with a mod like this? I think it would be a crafty and inexpensive way to improve the rear suspension if you could get it sorted.

The problem isn't suspension travel it is stiffness. From what I have been told, as I looked at this some time ago myself, you might as well have struts on the back and no suspension at all. I wondered if you could have Racetech make a set of springs, but then you up the cost considerably.

We did that once and have a picture somewhere. Might as well of had struts on it they were so stiff. We did not try to get softer springs but that might be an option.

Sean

I can make springs here at work so that may be something I can easily get around. Wouldn't new replacement springs and used shocks still be less expensive than full on works or race tech? Sean I'll have to email you to get some more info on your attempt.

Sean, which shocks did you use on your bike? It looks like the stock rate is 11kg/mm for most 600s, racetech sells an 8kg/mm spring, that is almost a 30% reduction, sounds promising right? Two new springs and two ebay specials are in the range of $250.

I can make springs here at work so that may be something I can easily get around. Wouldn't new replacement springs and used shocks still be less expensive than full on works or race tech? Sean I'll have to email you to get some more info on your attempt.

IMO , it all depends on what your time & materials are worth to reverse engineer a shock system . What is it that your current shock , ( if stock , we all know is not up to snuff ) is not performing ? Is the goal to handle the twisties better , carry a passenger or touring package , straight line ( drag race ) performance ? Works are expensive , true. But your time and materials could be expensive , especially if it takes a few attempts to get it the way you want it . With that said , I admire creative thinking and projects.

Well, I'm not going to act like I'm too good for cosmetics and hide my intentions, basically I want the look of an expensive adjustable setup without breaking the bank. Ideally I want something that performs better than stock in the canyons. I do not ride two up and don't have the time or freedom for 1000 mile trips, mostly just a highway commute and then whatever I do for fun. I am looking for a little less compliance than what I have now, but the majority reason for this is looks.

Later on down the road when I make it to a USD front end and 17" wheels I will do a proper setup, but right now I am finding the front end needing a lot more work than the rear so I feel like I would want to spent the proper money there in the short term, rear shocks later on. Right now with regards to the back end I just want to change what I have and have some fun making it work instead of buying it perfectly setup, I have a lot more hours than dollars to work with. Either leave it alone or spend $250 and possibly luck upon a setup that works out better than expected. Basically I am doing exactly what the first person who tried USD forks did, at least that's how I see it, being a guinea pig. Maybe this will become an easy and worthwhile mod for everyone else too. Thanks for your input.

Some one had a set of Kawaski ZRX 1100 rear shocks on a V-Max but I cannot remember where I saw it. Maybe check into them as they are adjustable and you should be able to find a set for a descent price .

The ZRX's will work with some simple mods. BUT, they are longer then stock vmax shocks. We tried them back in early 2000 I want to say and it was done using R1 shocks.

Here's the best lousy pic I have from 2002.

Sean

Attachments

• DSC00046.jpg
    DSC00046.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Back