Starting gremlin

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKyle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a nice ride today except my bike decided the starter in only gonna work when it wants to so I guess when I finish working on all the other bikes I have here I can look at mine. Turn key on everything comes on as it should & solenoid just clicks. No big deal grab me a screwdriver to jump solenoid & nothing not even a spark pushed her & she fired right up & started about 6 times after that perfect then done it again later. I am sure I will find the problem quick when I start looking just wanted to vent a little I really think my starter might have a loose connection inside.

could be bad solenoid too.
Thanks ! I did change that this morning before I left because it done it yesterday once to & it started fine while I was at home but waited till I was far away before it acted up again just my luck.LOL I also went pulled the solenoid & turned it around where I could go strait from positve on battery to cable running from starter & nothing thats about all I wanted to do 100 miles from home in a parking lot. I hate electrical I can do it just not my favorite & deffinately not my specialty.

Electric faults on your own bike are ALWAYS a pain. :ummm:
Bet you 2 bottle caps it's starter brushes. :rofl_200:

Thought you changed the starter for a 4 pole when you swapped the analog for digital electrics????? How well does it start hot when it does start?? My 89 has a horrible time getting over the first 2 compression strokes when it's hot, then fires right up.... Maybe I need a stronger starter... Got an Odyssey that reads 12.95 volts static over night.:confused2:

Sorry you had to work on your ride, glad you got back alright... If you ever get out and stuck, let me have access to your trailer and I'll come pick you up Brother.

Dave

Electrical problem is what laid up my bike for months and months. Just got frustrated trying, testing, swapping. Only thing I didn't test or swap out was pick up signal sender behind the cover. Took it to my secret Vmax shop and told him what I thought it was. Ended up saving me money because there was no troubleshooting involved but DAMN a new pick up from Yamaha is not cheap! I had used ones but that might have been a false economy if the used crapped out too! Kyle, I never got around to installing the new R/R I got from you but now that the bike is running, I'm tearing it down to freshen it up cosmetically and clean up the wiring. In addition to fixing all I tore up dropping it on the trailer! Let us know what you find as the problem. I've been reading up an that Venture thread to address starter gear failures. Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade for $300 bucks.
PATMAX

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

c6e4ebaa-3232-4ef6.jpg
c6e4ebaa-3251-b15b.jpg
c6e4ebaa-3265-a954.jpg

Forgot to attach the pics to my last post Kyle. Sandblasting the frame from coils back and respraying with Rustoleum Industrial Gloss black.
If that turns out well enough, will attack the front afterward.

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

... I've been reading up an that Venture thread to address starter gear failures. Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade for $300 bucks. !

It's gonna cost you more than $300 (a lot more than my wallet can cough up; maybe yours isn't as strapped). I reckon you've got to factor in inflation LOL. Anyways, when my starter clutch went out last summer, I grew very interested in the upgrade and talked to Sean about it. I'll leave it up to Sean to provide the quote.

Thought you changed the starter for a 4 pole when you swapped the analog for digital electrics????? How well does it start hot when it does start?? My 89 has a horrible time getting over the first 2 compression strokes when it's hot, then fires right up.... Maybe I need a stronger starter... Got an Odyssey that reads 12.95 volts static over night.:confused2:

Sorry you had to work on your ride, glad you got back alright... If you ever get out and stuck, let me have access to your trailer and I'll come pick you up Brother.

Dave
Yes I did change out the starter when I went to the late model electronics but hat does not keep a starter from going out. Its only doing it every once in a while. I put power directlt to the starter last time it done it & nothing so I believe a starter is in order.

Yes I did change out the starter when I went to the late model electronics but hat does not keep a starter from going out. Its only doing it every once in a while. I put power directlt to the starter last time it done it & nothing so I believe a starter is in order.

Please send bottle caps to

Baz
c/o the Post Office
Australia

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I found this about the Venture Mod

I am pleased to announce for our VR members a starter clutch mod that will last forever and put an end to that "Clunkety-clunk" that you hear when your starter clutch is going bad. I will let Squeeze explain it much better than I ever could:

The stock Starter Clutch is a one Way Clutch which uses three spring loaded Rollers the connect to the big 72th Gear Wheel which is the last Gear in the line of several Gears coming from the Stater Motor.

These 3 Rollers connect (in Fact they run) to the inner Area of the Wheel by spring Force and clamping Force. This whole Assembly sits in a Housing which is bolted to the Flywheel with 3 Bolt in M8 Thread. Over Time, these Bolts tend to get a little bit loose plus the Rollers and the Surface they're running at develop some flat Spots and chattering Marks too.

This is the common Scenario where the Problem starts to get heard.

If the Battery is cold and/or isn't in the best Shape anymore, the Rollers can't "bite" strong enough to the connecting Area and the Clutch lets go for a half a Turn. If The Rollers bite on a chattering Mark or a flat Spot the Connection they may hold on or let loose again. This Movement creates the hammering Sound and puts a Lot of more Force on the loose Bolts. This, of Course, allows even more uncontrolled Movement of the Clutch Assembly and a even more dysfunctional Clutch. As an nasty Side Effect, the Clutch can, and i know of two Cases where it actually did, cause the Starter to act as an Generator because the One Way Clutch wasn't a Clutch anymore but a solid Connection. This caused the Starter Motor to burn down on both Cases. I suspect a Lot more of these Cases, but there's not enough reliable Data for me to make a final Call.

I've seen a Lot of these Clutches and not one of them was even partially reusable. I have Buddies which tried to reuse some Parts, but they did the Job twice or even three Times in the End. I know a Bunch of Guys with heavily modified Engines, meaning 1500 cc Vmaxxes at least, and each and everybody of them had their Share of Head Ache in this Regard. The Record Holder of those is the Guy with a 1600 cc High Compression Motor who needed three complete Starter Clutch Assemblies each Season.

So, in the End, you have two Options to get the Job done

First Option is to buy a complete Set of new Parts, not just the small Set of Rollers, Springs, Caps, but also three Bolts, the Housing and the 72th Wheel, mount the Assembly exactly in centered Position to the Fly Wheel, red Loctite the Threads of the Bolts and don't forget to punch the End of Threads with a Center Punch. Then cross your Fingers, say a Prayer or both and hit the Starter Button after completing the Install. Feel good about the cheap (around 185 Bucks for the Parts) Repair but you need to keep the Procedure in Mind, because most likely you'll do that again some Time later.

Or

Second Option

Send your Rotor over to Dano in a 12x10x5 Inch Package, get it back with the Gaskets (optional), don't worry about having the Clutch Assembly mounted exactly centered to the Flywheel, just mount the Rotor and the new 72th Wheel and have a good Time while being a happy Camper.

This is because Dano will mount a much more sophisticated Clutch Assembly, which uses 18 Ellipses instead of three Rollers. The Ellipsis are spring loaded too and because of their Shape, not only bite at the 72th Wheel, but lock up the Connection between Rotor and 72th Wheel. Because of the ellipsoid Design, you won't need to worry about burning down your Starter Motor. I sure you weren't worried about that before, but it's good to be sure anyway. Not to mention, getting the Flywheel off the Crank Shaft can be a ... well ... how do it say this ... pita ...

Yes, this Upgrade is more expensive than Option 1 and it will need a little bit more of Downtime because of the Transit Times of the Parcel. But you'll be a happy Camper and never think about the Starter Clutch Issue again. Oh, except maybe the Times somebody tells you his 1Gen or Vmax produces a hammering Sound upon starting ...

Squeeze

Now for the nitty-gritty. All you need to do is remove your flywheel/rotor, send it and a check for $275.00 (US, VR discount and return shipping included, Canada shipping a bit more) to me and a couple of days later I will return it to you with the starter clutch mod already mounted ready to go back on your bike. You will also need to get the 2 left side cover gaskets and crush washer for the lower bolt on the middle gear cover. If you would like me to supply them, an additional $15.00 will be added ($290.00 total US). If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to PM me or call me at 317-370-0139 anytime and I'll be happy to discuss it with you.

An additional note here for non-members wishing this mod- Price will be $295 US, gaskets priced the same.

Dan

Shipping address:

Dan Obert
8699 W 800 N
Indianapolis, In 46259-9402

Paypal & email addy: [email protected]

I was just really venting because I hate working on my own bike unless its modmonkey stuff. The bike does have a problem but it has a brand new starter clutch,stator,RR oddessy battery & complete late model electrical system just a little glitch in the starter im sure which I will fix when I quit getting cash paying jobs. My bike comes last.

Lol. I think you might have even known what was wrong with your bike already... he he he
Sometimes you just gotta vent.

I texted the chick about my speedo mounting today.

"Hows it going? :)"

"The new casting flask is made.
And the new caster.
I'm going to do a test cast, then we should be good to go on your piece.
Just need to make sure that the theoretical burn out time really works on a flask this time."

:bang head: :ummm: :bang head: :ummm: :bang head: :ummm: :bang head: :ummm:

Aaaaargh!
She has my top triple and bars!
I haven't even been able to measure the length for the hoses!
Aaaaaaargh!

Phew, now I feel better. :eusa_dance:

Lol. I think you might have even known what was wrong with your bike already... he he he
Sometimes you just gotta vent.

I texted the chick about my speedo mounting today.

"Hows it going? :)"

"The new casting flask is made.
And the new caster.
I'm going to do a test cast, then we should be good to go on your piece.
Just need to make sure that the theoretical burn out time really works on a flask this time."

:bang head: :ummm: :bang head: :ummm: :bang head: :ummm: :bang head: :ummm:

Aaaaargh!
She has my top triple and bars!
I haven't even been able to measure the length for the hoses!
Aaaaaaargh!

Phew, now I feel better. :eusa_dance:
Way to go thats why I started this thread to vent come on tell us some more.LOL:rofl_200: Maybe Tomorrow or Sunday I will get to work on my bike.

You guys are priceless LOL..

K, I'll vent too then:

having just got an email telling me my Max will be arriving in Brisbane late February, I then got a job offer in Bristol (UK) I could not refuse. Going to be part of the team making the music for the next Halo game - Halo 4.
But, it's for 6-8 weeks starting Feb 1st, so not only I have to leave the gorgeous sunshine of the western Aussie summer for the freezing grey of western England, but it's more than likely my bike will get delivered here while I'm still away!!:bang head::damn angry:
29.gif
30.gif
29.gif
30.gif
29.gif
30.gif
29.gif
30.gif
29.gif
30.gif
29.gif
30.gif
29.gif
30.gif
29.gif
30.gif
29.gif
30.gif
29.gif
30.gif
29.gif
30.gif

PS to admins: great starter mod Dano posted - can we make that a sticky somewhere?

Latest posts

Back