Stock Exhaust Benefits?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paidtothink

Reaction score
Are there any strong points to the stock exhaust, more bottom end torque...etc??

I have a bone stock 2000 bike and tried my friend's kerker slipons, and they sound nice, but it just seemed like it ran tighter with stock. Kerker rep assured no jetting would be required. Bike only has 2200 miles on it so it's basically new still.

The only strong point to the stock exhaut I can think of is that it wieghs around 23lbs more than a full aftermarket system:biglaugh:

Save your money for a full system; you'll never regret it.

Rusty

There is no real gain from slip-on mufflers other then weight loss. The reason is the small primary tubes are still being used. If you want to get a real gain in HP you would need to get a full header (brand makes no difference) and a jet kit like one we make or stage seven.

Sean Morley

The only strong point to the stock exhaut I can think of is that it wieghs around 23lbs more than a full aftermarket system:biglaugh:

Save your money for a full system; you'll never regret it.

Rusty

Exactly what I keep saying!Put the slipon money towards a full system.:pullhair:

The only benifits to stock exhaust I can think of is... Its easier to sneak around and not be heard. Hmm if there are any animals on the side of the road they may not get as scared.
Performance gains? Hmmm NO!!

Slip Ons are like Smoking hot chicks that dont put out.
Look good, sound good but dont perform well they are just for looks.

Save your pennies for a Kerker 4-1 and you will think you are on a new bike.

Saving for a Mark's Set myself.
I did drill out the stock exhaust, just as a temporary fix for louder sound in traffic until I can get a full exhaust.

the beneifit to running stock exhaust systen is it works great with the stock air box...bike runs crisp and clean all the time ...good milage and power....hot or cool weather...best all around system for street riding...less problems with carbs in long run.....anything other then that is for the shear fun factor........spend some money get some hp.... hp dont mean it runs better or is quicker in the street

I like my Supertrapp slipons. I didn't get them because I wanted a peformance increase, I got them for the sound. However, my butt-o-meter tells me I may have picked up a little. I will say THIS, the clutch started slipping much worse after I installed them. YMMV.

Miike

I like my Supertrapp slipons. I didn't get them because I wanted a peformance increase, I got them for the sound. However, my butt-o-meter tells me I may have picked up a little. I will say THIS, the clutch started slipping much worse after I installed them. YMMV.

Miike

So I guess in retrospect, the wrist bone is connected to the ear bone. :banana:

I want a kerker full exhaust but my wife says no way ,says I spent to much already:confused2:personally I do not think there is a performance gain from stock to slipons just more sound :stickyman:kerker super trapp slipons is what I run as of now.

Miike

Thats why I bought mine, for the sound. In the winter, a friend of mine and I are going to fab up a new system.

Miike

you got then for the right reason little noise little seat of your pants...still running stock box

you got then for the right reason little noise little seat of your pants...still running stock box

Exactly, it is not like these bikes NEED any more power! I am sure a good full system is a great benefit. However, I like to think and paint with a broad brush. If I was really going for a serious increase...I would look to more cubes, cam and compression...or forced induction.

Mike

Exactly, it is not like these bikes NEED any more power! I am sure a good full system is a great benefit. However, I like to think and paint with a broad brush. If I was really going for a serious increase...I would look to more cubes, cam and compression...or forced induction.

Mike

Not to argue but, if your going to get more cubes, cam, etc... you'll need a performance exhaust anyways.

An aftermarket performance exhaust gives you a few things, great sound, less weight (about 20-25lbs), great sound, more performance, did I say great sound!!

I have been running Stage 7, K&N filters (with velocity stacks), a kerker 4-2-1 and manual vboost for over 8 years and 80,000 miles between my 2 vmaxs' and when set up right, it will give you the same reliability and ridability as the stock airbox and stock exhaust set up.

Mike

Not to argue but, if your going to get more cubes, cam, etc... you'll need a performance exhaust anyways.

An aftermarket performance exhaust gives you a few things, great sound, less weight (about 20-25lbs), great sound, more performance, did I say great sound!!

I have been running Stage 7, K&N filters )with velocity stacks), a kerker 4-2-1 and manual boost for over 8 years and 80,000 miles between my 2 vmaxs' and when set up right, it will give you the same reliability as the stock airbox and stock exhaust set up.

Mike

:biglaugh: thats my point Mike when you can get a set up to run the same reliability as stock airbox and pipe your doing something right.....how much did a set up like yours cost pipes carb kit and a shop install parts and a good tune say like yours

I WISH MINE WAS LOUDER, BUT I LIKE THE WHOLE V-MAX STYLE, ITS BY FAR THE COOLEST BIKE I'VE EVER OWENED !!! BUT SURE NOT THE FASTEST BY FAR, BUT ITS SO ''BAD ASS'' LOOKING , I LIKE IT BECAUSE THE ENGINE LOOKS LIKE A BIG MECHANICAL CONTRAPTION !!! IT LOOKS COOL JUST SITTING THERE PARKED !!! IF I WANTED SOMETHING SUPER FAST I WOULD HAVE STARTED WITH SOMETHING 200 LBS, LIGHTER, & ALOT FASTER STOCK ,THAT WOULD BE A LOT CHEAPER TO GET TO GO FASTER !!!! ITS ALL ABOUT THE STYLE !!!! ITS ALL ABOUT THE V-MAX !!!!

:biglaugh: thats my point Mike when you can get a set up to run the same reliability as stock airbox and pipe your doing something right.....how much did a set up like yours cost pipes carb kit and a shop install parts and a good tune say like yours

Cost was; $650.00 for exhaust, $250 for filters and stage 7, $30.00 for manual boost - installation and tuning was free, I did the work - vmax websites, priceless for info.

So for $1000.00 or so, in my case, not a big price to pay for more horsepower and a much better sound, etc...

Mike

113 we are doing it for the same reason you're not...

Because we want too... :eusa_dance:

Well, yes, of course. A free breathing exhaust is most defiitely a part of the equation if you are doing a step up in performance. I would never mod the motor and expect it to wheeze through a stock exhaust, or a slip-on setup.

What I am saying is that when you ARE satisfied with the bike's performance, a slip-on system is a great upgrade for sound and perhaps a small boost in breathing ability.

I can only speakk for myself, but right now I am happy with the power output of my Max. I am curious to hear a Kerker though..with a race baffle. I am all about sound. The V-Max is all about attitude. In a world where a bike with half the displacement can whip your ass handily, you need to focus on other things.

Mike

113 we are doing it for the same reason you're not...

Because we want too... :eusa_dance:

and thats the only reason that matters .. did all my playing and mods with other bikes through the years understand completely ...same as lowering your bike says it helps handling and it looks cool but the ride around city streets sucks compaired to stock set up that steps over bumps with a smooth ride theres always a trade off...after a while when you guys start to turn into old fucks your personal taste might change :worthy: still looking to ride with someone who has pipes and a carb kit installed

Latest posts

Back