Tank slapping anyone???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberjack

Reaction score
I am experiencing tank slapping (not full tank slapping - yet...) at approximately 50 kilometers per hour (30 miles per hour). When I take my hand off the handlebar to wave at this speed I feel it start to slap (a little bit) and the handle bars start to oscillate. Well, last night I took both hands off and it worsened to the point it has me concerned now. It appears it is only around this speed. I raised the front end and grabbed the forks to see if it was loose and it appears okay.

I have a 2003 Vmax with 18,000 kilometers (11,000 miles). New Metzler 880's with 2000 kilometers (1200 miles) and it basically stock. I haven't seen anything in the forum and am wondering if it is just me or is this common with others?.

thanks
mikE

I am experiencing tank slapping (not full tank slapping - yet...) at approximately 50 kilometers per hour (30 miles per hour). When I take my hand off the handlebar to wave at this speed I feel it start to slap (a little bit) and the handle bars start to oscillate. Well, last night I took both hands off and it worsened to the point it has me concerned now. It appears it is only around this speed. I raised the front end and grabbed the forks to see if it was loose and it appears okay.

I have a 2003 Vmax with 18,000 kilometers (11,000 miles). New Metzler 880's with 2000 kilometers (1200 miles) and it basically stock. I haven't seen anything in the forum and am wondering if it is just me or is this common with others?.

thanks
mikE

Tank slapping and weaving issues are a common problem with the VMax that can be traced to either the head bearings being too tight/too loose/needing grease or the front tire being under inflated or some physical issue with the tire. Do a quick search, there is a test to see if your steering head bearing is at the correct tightness.
When this is fixed, you won't have this issue.

I found the step by step for checking the steering head bearing. It is here

A weave can be caused by over tightened steering nuts while a wobble is due to a loose steering nuts, the wobble is what you're experiencing

Last edited:
http://youtu.be/WU5RH3zaf2Y

ouch_it_hurts.png

OOOH that's gotta smart

Latest posts

Back