terrible clanking noise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan'l

Reaction score
I had some work done on my bike (2002 Vmax) this spring. New tires, carbs were full of water from our wonderful California winter gas, 3 weeks sitting and the gas went to hell, oil change, tune up. I've put about 80 miles on it since the work was done, got home from a short blast the other day and there was a clanking noise, like banging 2 solid pieces of steel together, wasn't steady, in gear and out of gear. Oil is full, starter did act up when I went to pick it up after the tune up, it was sticking, push started it, the starter was ok after that. The noise seems to be coming from the left side toward the rear of the motor. I did notice after I picked it up that there was a low clattering noise at idle, seemed to be coming from lower end. I am about to bring the bike back to the guy that tuned it, he is an awesome tune up guy, but what I am wondering, did he screw something up? Any ideas as to the noise? I've done some reading here, now I am wondering if the drive shaft might be making the noise. He did a great job on the tune up, it's been a rocket ship since I got it back. He went through the carbs, plugs, all the regular tune up stuff. My wife got me some bitchin saddle bags for Fathers Day but they're not going on anything until I figure this out. I put a grand into the bike this spring, tires, tune up was $600 for everything. Thanks in advance, Dan

Does it do it just sitting in neutral?

How about just sitting in gear with clutch pulled in?

Does the bike have to actually be moving to get this noise?

If it has to be moving to do it, if you pull the clutch in and rev the engine does the banging speed up and down or stay relative to rear wheel speed?

All of these things can be good clues to point you in the right direction.

It was doing it in gear and in neutral. It didn't speed up ( the noise) when I throttled it up a little. I didn't pull in the clutch. I'll do a few things tomorrow, it's a little late for me to make the noise fore the neighbors tonight. Thanks for the response. Dan

It was doing it in gear and in neutral. It didn't speed up ( the noise) when I throttled it up a little. I didn't pull in the clutch. I'll do a few things tomorrow, it's a little late for me to make the noise fore the neighbors tonight. Thanks for the response. Dan

Bases on what you have so far I vote driveshaft, pinion gear or coupling, or midgear problem.

I just went out there, started it up, the noise did speed up with the throttle. Made no difference with the clutch in or out. I pu it in 1st gear, did not let the clutch out, it stopped the motor. Then I Had a heck of a time finding neutral, found neutral, neutral light did not light up, starter would not engage with the clutch in or out. I am starting to think the starter drive is screwed up? any ideas?

Hopefully just fragged the starter clutch. Not a common thing to do but anything is possible. My thoughts are worst then that but place to start with the info you're giving.

Sean

Thanks guys, I am bringing it back to my tune up guy today, I'll let you know what happens.

Sorry this took so long to get back to you all. My mechanic buddy said I had a frozen rocker arm, I had him tune it up a while back, this California gas is screwing up a lot of vehicles. There was water in my carbs, he did a complete tune up. I don't know what caused the rocker arm to freeze up, but he added some oil additive, let it run for awhile, shut it down, repeated that process a few times, no more noises. He's a pretty sharp guy, does a lot of tuning for the bike racing guys. I hope this will end the problems. If the bike is going to set more than a week or 2 between rides, I am using a fuel stabilizer. Thanks for the help, Dan

Sorry this took so long to get back to you all. My mechanic buddy said I had a frozen rocker arm, I had him tune it up a while back, this California gas is screwing up a lot of vehicles. There was water in my carbs, he did a complete tune up. I don't know what caused the rocker arm to freeze up, but he added some oil additive, let it run for awhile, shut it down, repeated that process a few times, no more noises. He's a pretty sharp guy, does a lot of tuning for the bike racing guys. I hope this will end the problems. If the bike is going to set more than a week or 2 between rides, I am using a fuel stabilizer. Thanks for the help, Dan

Vmax doesn't have rocker arms, could you ask your buddy to elaborate?

-garrett

I'd love to know what's involved in a "$600 tune-up" anyway. It's just a motorcycle.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'd love to know what's involved in a "$600 tune-up" anyway. It's just a motorcycle.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I hope that included a complete carb redo for $600 and a tank inspection? I was thinking the worst but didn't want to say anything without more info. I'd get an oil pressure reading, when fully warmed up, at idle, 2k, and 4k, Please post that here before proceeding. Did he really say rocker arm? That's very suspect. I'm thinking the oil pan is going to be coming down.
Steve-o

There is a bucket in direct contact with the valve and cam. If the bucket freezes up this will cause the cam to be wiped out (either breaking the cam or smoothing off the lobe). Maybe it was slightly sticking and still somewhat working? Still odd to be sure.

I helped a friend w/his collapsed hydraulic lifter on his inline-6 Ford. It ran but was ragged. Replacing the lifter fixed it, maybe an hr. total. He was happy after that. He didn't know why it was running poorly before that & I trouble-shot it for him.

Back