The Road to Diagnosis..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big E

Reaction score
have been having some starting issues with the V max have chased up and down the chassis just finished the spark plugs and took a look at all the grounds i could physically touch. and after all the forum surfing i think i may have traced it down to either my starter clutch or starter motor.
does anyone have an experience with diagnosing and or maintenance one or the other? i feel capable with servicing a the starter motor however the starter clutch require the removal of key internal clutch components which i have limited experience in. right now the V max only starts with jumper cables. if you can help with experience or assistance please share!

Did you do the "crimp" mod already?

Does it crank slowly?

Simply replacing the 2 brush motor with the 4 brush motor makes a huge difference, but many remove the motor and do a thorough cleaning of it and have seen a huge improvement.

Chris

You can do the starter clutch too, check out Mr morleys vidio!

have been having some starting issues with the V max have chased up and down the chassis just finished the spark plugs and took a look at all the grounds i could physically touch. and after all the forum surfing i think i may have traced it down to either my starter clutch or starter motor.
does anyone have an experience with diagnosing and or maintenance one or the other? i feel capable with servicing a the starter motor however the starter clutch require the removal of key internal clutch components which i have limited experience in. right now the V max only starts with jumper cables. if you can help with experience or assistance please share!

:punk: Sounds like the battery to me, change it. Good luck, Spurs

If it starts OK with booster cables then it's not going to be the starter clutch, starter motor or earths.

So,

1) Have the battery checked out to establish if it is capable of holding a charge and delivering the power when needed. Have a look here.

2) If OK check the charging/ generating system. Don't waste time guessing but work through in a logical manner. Have a look at this.

battery shows to be holding a charge displays12.46 across the battery no load and with load it displays 18.5V at 2,000 RPM. i did the crimp mod with the help of quick connects.
when i turn the key the lights all come on , but when i press the start button
it just cranks but does not turn over while the lights all flicker and dim to the point that a ll it does is just click, click, click.
i am happy to hear you guys dont think it is not the starter clutch but what could it be? in june of this year i replaced my battery which was lead acid with a AGM from Motobatt it has a 2 yr on it so i wanna say its nto the battery but liek i said it does start from being jumped!

Attachments

• mb16Au_a.jpg
    mb16Au_a.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1
electrical is my weak spot but i'd say

18.5 is wayyyyyyyy too much!

R&R i think is bad?

Regulator rectifier? really? IDK where that thing is even located....

It is behind the bracket for the rear footpeg on the left side. Easy to get to and replace. Ebay has them or dealer I suppose.

I have regulators on hand - $75 plus shipping. New aftermarket units that are the updated version (and will be a nearly bolt on for you - I say nearly since you have to run one ground wire).

Sean

other then the crimp fix what else could it be that woudl be draining the battery? i recently put new push pull cables on and a new right handle bar controls on other then that my speedometer went out after screeching so loud for a couple days. i have tried new cables and i keeps chewing them up. prior to having this starting issue i was riding and it simple died on me both engine and throttle as well as all lights on dash cut out and i had to keep my clutch in and coast to the side of the road.

WOW! Did you check the cable going into the speedo? It needs to be lubed a bit and should be quiet.

If you're batt reads 18.5 volts, you're BAKING your battery. I can't believe the lights aren't SUPER bright... lol I'd start with replacing it first. Don't use quick connects on the "crimp". Use solder. I simply soldered the stock area so that it wouldn't lose voltage across that point. Connectors can heat up and lose connection over time.

Chris

so i ordered a R&R from Morley thanks a lot buddy and i also ordered all the stuff to efficiently complete the "Crimp fix" those quick connects were a noob move. but i will fix it now. i will keep you all informed and thank you for your comments!

Regulator / Rectifier: Here, you want this one for 98-07, it's better. I did this with my 94 and it works perfect..

http://www.electrosport.com/street-bikes/yamaha/vmx1200-v-max-98-07.html

That's to take care of the 18.5 volt problem. Both of my bikes turn over very slow with a standard battery.
I bought an Odyssey Battery for the 94 three years ago, it turns over so fast, I say it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

Good Luck

Yes, supporting our VMF Vendors is way more better..
Didn't realize he stocked electronic parts to that level...
Sean's Great for help and parts.... :biglaugh:

Yes, supporting our VMF Vendors is way more better..
Didn't realize he stocked electronic parts to that level...
Sean's Great for help and parts.... :biglaugh:

Wow, I haven't heard "more better" since I lived on Maui. Was just wondering if you spent time or was maybe from there?

Back