Throttle Bodies VMAX EFI

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

Thank You! Gleno that is very observant! The picture doesn't show that transition very well. It's the black part down the hole. The oval runner length in the adapter will be very short... sooo I don't think it will make much difference in flow for a stock VMAX. Porting is a science in itself and once we get these TB's mounted, we will go there. Maybe a little CNC porting :hmmm: There's still lots of work to do on my part just getting everything setup on the engine. In the mean time... just a little food for thought.

Here's some pics to look at. I recently picked up this set of VMAX heads and was pleasantly surprised to see that the previous owner. looks to have had some porting done. Notice the shiny areas in the intake port and the valve area. Most times just seemingly minor adjustments such as unshrouding valves can equal horsepower gains. It's all about the flow bench and countless hours of work on a dyno.

vmax intake 1.jpg

This next photo is a GSXR 600 intake port. Notice the little speed bumps at the entry to the valves. Interesting eh...

Proto Intake 600 1.jpg

Now here's the difference between the 600 and 1000 intake boots relative to a VMAX intake port (shinny aluminum) It will definitely take some work on the adapter runner and more work on the MAX head to optimize the use of the 1000 TB's. I thinks :ummm: Keep in mind that a stock 600 "08" GSXR makes about 120 HP. That's at half the VMAX displacement. Of course at higher R's. Maybe that should be a project for the VMAX in the future. I'd like to hear the MAX spin to 16K. Now that would be something to talk about. Think I heard it once on my turbo bike just before the rod came through the cases.

600_1000_comp.jpg

Stay Tuned

Keep in mind that a stock 600 "08" GSXR makes about 120 HP. That's at half the VMAX displacement. Of course at higher R's. Maybe that should be a project for the VMAX in the future. I'd like to hear the MAX spin to 16K.

Hey if you can get the V-max to spin to 16k you will have EVERY Chevy owner on the planet beating a path to your door. :rofl_200:

Hey Gary(or anyone else), what would it take to SAFELY get more rpm from the V-max? Those V-4 Motogp bikes are hitting 16+K! Though they are much smaller motors(IIRC, the previous 990cc motors were pulling that too). Just wonder what it would take to get 12-13K?
Maybe Lighter crank(prolly better balancing too), lighter rods, lighter valves(Prolly Titanium). Maybe lighter flywheel. Wonder if the clutch could be lightened(and strengthened at the same time) by going billet? Windage might be an issue as well. I've not been into the bottom of the V-max. Billet cams that are drilled for lighter weight would be nice too.
I realize it would cost a fortune(and prolly not worth the effort), but i was just wondering if there were other reasons that might hinder it...

motogp uses titanium rods, valves and wrist pins, but most importantly control of valve float by many secret means (they hit 20,000rpm by the way) .
Some teams use pneumatic springs with air canisters that last for only one race to do it.

You got to remember that RPM is the killer in a motor, forces goes up at the square of RPM... The only reason to rev that high is to get power as they are prevented from increasing displacment. If you had the choice as an engineer, you would always pick displacemnt over RPM to get more power (thats why most racing bodies restrict diplacment but not RPM)

If you needed to keep the same overall displacement of the Vmax motor but wanted it to make more hp at higher revs, you could bore it and de-stroke it. That gives a lower piston speed than stock, at the same rpm's. This is a major concern when building motors for high revs. The piston speed is critical because when too high, it wants to actually 'stretch' the rods when coming up to TDC. The up, down, then up again motion of the pistons is hard to deal with, inertia wise. That's why today's sportbike pistons are getting so light and minimalistic. They're almost like flat dishes with tiny skirts now compared to the Maxwell House coffee cans of years past.

Vinnie

motogp uses titanium rods, valves and wrist pins, but most importantly control of valve float by many secret means (they hit 20,000rpm by the way) .
Some teams use pneumatic springs with air canisters that last for only one race to do it.

You got to remember that RPM is the killer in a motor, forces goes up at the square of RPM... The only reason to rev that high is to get power as they are prevented from increasing displacment. If you had the choice as an engineer, you would always pick displacemnt over RPM to get more power (thats why most racing bodies restrict diplacment but not RPM)
I know there are more issues and i'm aware of the pneumatic springs and HI $$$$/ High tech of MotoGP. I would'nt wanna go real high anyway. I know rpm can really kill motors but there are also OEM motors with 16,000rpm redlines from the factory. They are smaller and were designed for the stratosphere from the get-go.
Personally, i like the TQ of bigger displacement and/or longer rods.
I guess i really wish the factory(Yamaha) would have just kinda updated the Gen I V-max. Namely with a lighter/more efficeint/compact motor. Would have needed more rpm but that would have been easy.

LOL .... Dollars... LOTS of DOLLARS! I've always wondered why nobody (I've heard of) has gone there. Those sporbike pistons are short on the skirt end. Years ago they would of been laughed at and now their common place.

How about the big bores... are they balanced properly? Seems to me to do it right you'd have to do some counter shaft balance work. Is that done? The ones I've ridden, give off vibes like an old Chihuahua. Then everybody blames the poor old crank for not doing his job, as they look in catalogs for special grips and handle bars to dampen the vibes. :ummm:

The Vmax heads won't make any good power that high anyway.

Sean

Ok as promised here's the latest on throttle bodies:

I've finished the mounts for the 600 and 1000 TB's. Can't describe how happy I am to move on to the next task (Linkage). This has been a real mind fu*ker... with all the angles and positioning it took to get it right. There's not a lot of room between the V and lots of stuff to fit fit in.

Here's a some pics of the 1000 TB's to look at:

Proto 1.jpg

Proto 2.jpg

Proto 3.jpg

Proto 4.jpg

Everything fits up real nice! Right down to the throttle cable positioning.

Proto 5.jpg

AS mentioned previously there is a difference in the oblong ports of the VMAX verses the GSXR 1000. Initially the plan is to taper bore the GSXR larger port down to the VMAX smaller oblong port. To really optimize the performance of a modified VMAX engine, the larger GSXR port would be a good start to doing some serious VMAX head porting. Maybe I'm wrong... we'll see. More on that later! Right now I need to move on with the project. Here's a pic without the taper bore.

Proto 6.jpg

That's it for now... will post pics of the GSXR 600's mounted up the same way later tonight or tomorrow. Their sittin on the table looking at me. Waiting their turn... to tell you the truth, right about now I can't stand the site of em. :shot:

Proto 7.jpg

Stay Tuned

"That's it for now... will post pics of the GSXR 600's mounted up the same way later tonight or tomorrow. Their sittin on the table looking at me. Waiting their turn... to tell you the truth, right about now I can't stand the site of em.
shot.gif
"

But what makes it more than worthwhile is the compliments and appreciation of your efforts from all the forum members who are following this thread.

1st rate work :worthy:

Top notch there Gary! Now that yer done with the easy stuff, you can proceed with the more difficult stuff...(j/k). Gary is a perfectionist and has really spent alot of time and effort(trial and error) to get the setup right. Kudos to ya Gary!
Of note to everyone is that this setup will easily be adaptable to suit several preferences and or motor modifications. Its basic design was such that other "add-ons"(IE turbo, Dry nitrous, and a few other neat things) could easily be incorperated. Also planning some things to keep the stk look of the V-max intake.
We appreciate the time and effort that you've devoted to this Gary! Your progressing. I'm sitting here like a bump on a log...!

Good day to you all!

And... Thank you! Accolade's are cool (especially lemon lime) :You_Rock:

Well the 1000's little brother's are on and I'm really likin em, more space and when you look at the deep throat pic. You'll see a seamless port transition. Mark and I really think we'll be able to squeeze every bit of performance out of a stock VMAX using these guys... but we'll see. On to the linkage! That should be fun. Here are the pics:

Proto 1.jpg

Proto 2.jpg

Proto 3.jpg

Proto 4.jpg

Proto 5.jpg

Proto 7.jpg

Stay Tuned

Sweet for sure. I'd probably be interested in a set for the 1500 engine.

Sean

Back