Tightening headers to engine?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi folks:

I'm installing new exhaust headers to my Max, and I'd like to know if you have any recommendations how you tighten up the inner bolts on the rear headers...they're a real beyotch to get to and I wanna make sure I get 'em tight enough.

Thanks very much.

Elimax

Take an L shaped 8mm allen and cut it to be about 1 inch long straight piece and use an 8mm wrench and tighten. It's the best/easiest.

:clapping:Here's a trick that i did to tighten the inside rear pipes. I used a ratchet box wrench and a 8mm allen socket. I slid the allen socket thru the ratchet box end put my finger( the long one ) on the socket and used the other hand to turn the ratchet. This way you don't have to keep taking the allen wrench out reposition and turn again. Hope this helps.

OOPS! Sorry forgot to post the pics

Attachments

• P7140198.JPG
    P7140198.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 37
  • P7140201.JPG
    P7140201.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 37
  • P7140203.JPG
    P7140203.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 39
  • P7140200.JPG
    P7140200.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 31
i'm about to do this in the next couple weeks so the info is great. why can't a regular socket be used? is there barely enough clearance for the 8mm allen driver let alone a rachet on the end of it?

i have an 8mm rachet box end and 8mm sockets but they i think are a bit longer than yours toddo

Thanks, Toddo...pictures are good too.

I'll get the ratcheting box wrench in 8mm...I only currently have a 10, 12, 13, and 14 mm, so I'll get an 8mm and go for it.

Thanks again.

Elimax

i think i'm going to take off all the shields the night before and a couple squirts of PB Blaster or penetrating liquid on the bolts. should pre-emptively stop all these bolt issues i've been having.

Take an L shaped 8mm allen and cut it to be about 1 inch long straight piece and use an 8mm wrench and tighten. It's the best/easiest.

and use the ratchet wrench type...it will be the fastest way...

i think i'm going to take off all the shields the night before and a couple squirts of PB Blaster or penetrating liquid on the bolts. should pre-emptively stop all these bolt issues i've been having.

Buy some Anti-Seize and use it on the bolts before re-installing.

Chris

Latest posts

Back