Time for a new tire ???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsman30

Reaction score
I am really like the Shinko 230 Tour Master Rear Tire . I have been running Dunlap but only can get a season out of them and only 2/3 of a season this time around.:bang head:
There wear factor on these are about the same I assume as they have the same speed rating as the Dunlap's do :ummm:
I think from what I read so far the Motorcycles super store may be the best way to go for ordering is 6.99 and says it ships the same day :confused2:

Have a lot left of the season to ride and need a new skin on the back.
my question what about handling?? I like to ride on the sides as much as the center any known issues with cornering with these tires?

I am currently running a Shinko 230 on the back, it's at almost 5000 miles and needs to be replaced within 5-700 miles. I have done only one burnout withthis one and it wasn't really that long of one, just enough to show off in front of some of my non rider friends, you know 15-20 feet.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 61
This is after 6000+ miles of mostly straight lines (Florida). A couple of very short burnouts too.

I then took it to Deal's Gap and rode a whole weekend of those still brand new tire sides - loved it. In the rain too!

After that they had to go off as the center was bold. I'll go to Shinko again anytime!

Attachments

• P1080532.jpg
    P1080532.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 67
Depends on how you ride. I got 4,200 miles out of mine, with NO burnouts.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 42
Sorry to steal this thread, just ordered a new Shinko for $80 including shipping!

I am currently running a Shinko 230 on the back, it's at almost 5000 miles and needs to be replaced within 5-700 miles. I have done only one burnout withthis one and it wasn't really that long of one, just enough to show off in front of some of my non rider friends, you know 15-20 feet.

This is after 6000+ miles of mostly straight lines (Florida). A couple of very short burnouts too.

I then took it to Deal's Gap and rode a whole weekend of those still brand new tire sides - loved it. In the rain too!

After that they had to go off as the center was bold. I'll go to Shinko again anytime!

Depends on how you ride. I got 4,200 miles out of mine, with NO burnouts.

I ordered one today they said it should be to me by friday so by saterday should have a new skin on :punk:
My Dunlap did not last a whole season of riding :bang head: but I also ride hard no burn outs but I am not afraid of twisting the wick of dragging the boot straps either :biglaugh: I will let every on know how I like these tires. After the break in I have some corners to tame for just such a test. Thanks for the input guys this is why we are here to learn and to help out :worthy:
RIDE HARD RIDE OFTEN,
Ken

Opinions are easy to come by. The real test is in the use. We've tried darn near all of them. Haven't tried a Shinko on the vmax yet though have tried them on the radials (sportbikes).

Over the years I don't think there's a tire I haven't tried - plenty of which have been discontinued. The partial list I can think of (*170/80, **haven't tried yet):
Dunlop K591's were my favorite - cheap and sticky
Dunlop K491
Dunlop Qualifier (OEM Vmax tire)
Dunlop D404
*Dunlop K555
**Dunlop Conti-Tour
Dunlop (can't remember the model - looked almost like an offroad knobby)
Bridgestone Spitfire (Not bad - friend loves the white lettering)
Bridgestone Battleaxe (loved the front tire)
Bridgestone Excedra G526 (OEM Vmax Tire)
*Bridgestone Excedra G702
*Metzler Me880 (best all around tire)
*Metzler Me88 (predecessor to the 880)
Michelin Macadam (lasted a long time in the burnout box)
Michelin Commander
*Avon Venom (decent tire but didn't seem to grip as well in the wet)
Continental Blitz (and wear out as fast as the name)
**Continental Milestone
**IRC Durotour
*IRC Wildfire (Not all that bad a tire)
**Duro
Kenda (for a cheapo tire this one isn't bad either)
*Pirelli MT66
Pirelli Night Dragon

Opinions are easy to come by. The real test is in the use. We've tried darn near all of them. Haven't tried a Shinko on the vmax yet though have tried them on the radials (sportbikes).

Over the years I don't think there's a tire I haven't tried - plenty of which have been discontinued. The partial list I can think of (*170/80, **haven't tried yet):....

I miss the metz comp K, Comp K I had on the XS back in the late 80's That was a awesome, sticky tire.

Back